Burning Sands - Netflix (film based on black frat pledging)

Options
TheNightKing
TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been hearing about this
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Looks like a good movie, but as a member of a black Greek organization hate that all of this is getting out. Guess it's native to think it wouldn't eventually. Just hope they don't focus solely on the negative aspects.

I went through a tough process but I came through with a lot of pride in my perseverance and in my fraternity.

I'm sure there will be comments against pledging and I've already heard it all. Discussion still welcomed.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they gone show the faggotry that these ? do? and real talk with all the ? that they was doing to them ? just so they can say they are such and such is ? up. i aint a killer but i promise you once dude spit in my face i would of left came back with two guns and shot everybody in that fraternity. and im still trying to figure out why these "boule" ? aint change it from greek to african yet. stockholm disease is real
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A movie about people that have to pay for friends to feel important only to be degraded and tortured in order to get in...I'm good.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t-ZivjczEs

Cool movie, but I'm pretty sure how the anti-Greek IC population will react to this. Even still, I give it 7.5/10
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is pretty good
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bout to watch now
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was alright. I was just reading reviews and only one of three drew a parallel between the Willie Lynch letter and the hazing of pledges. I felt like that was the underlying theme of the film.
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »
    It was alright. I was just reading reviews and only one of three drew a parallel between the Willie Lynch letter and the hazing of pledges. I felt like that was the underlying theme of the film.

It is. In the scene where the pledges are being paddled, Zurich's voice over is reading excerpts from the letter.
  • TheNightKing
    Options
  • TheNightKing
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just watched. Hate they took it as far as they did. Maybe they pointing out how it used to be underground, but all that kicking ? in the ribs, spitting in they face and ? , total disregard for their health, etc. ain't how it goes down now, at least not in my chapter.

Some of the ? was spot on though.

? gets deep, but not on the brink of death.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea I never understood why black fraternities were using greek letters and ? ...that turned me off and never thought about joining
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i cant help but think that once the line of civilized behavior has been crossed

their cruelty must be manifested in other aspects of their lives
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so im guessing all parties involved will be charged with a crime? yes or no?
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ending was wack. The movie was str8. Nothing special though.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was just one long asswhoopin. Then it just went off. No resolution, plenty of loose ends.

5/10
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah ? was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these ? said ? their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some ? . see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was ? . why the ? you callin you pops after your ? dead. you should of did that ? two weeks down the line.

and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    yeah ? was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these ? said ? their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some ? . see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was ? . why the ? you callin you pops after your ? dead. you should of did that ? two weeks down the line.

and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.

Yeah that was some ? .
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    ineedpussy wrote: »

Yeah that was some ? .
    Z showed potential near the end...he got on his ? and was showing potential with the kings and queens talk, got his report in finally, and halfway through the movie the teacher told him he was a natural leader. I was hoping he would step up and say "? this ? ...this isn't how you should treat on young King" or something like that, but the moment never came.

7/10

I liked the movie. I felt it showed an interesting side of things. I've never pledged, but I considered pledging before the fraternity I was thinking about got cancelled for hazing. I feel like it showed how far hazing can go, and how even old heads ( the dean ) can be fine with it based off tradition, culture, etc.

I felt like the movie kept building up to a ? , then ended at the ? . Not only did it end open ended, but it skipped the whole POST ? step of a movie. Hell, it really didn't even finish the ? .

- Is homeboy dead?
    - Is the fraternity going to be cancelled?
    - Is he gonna get his girl back?
    - What did he tell his pops?
    - Who is his pops?
    - Has the dean always been aware of the deaths?
    - Are they still joining the fraternity?

ultimately, I personally couldn't have seen myself taking an asswhoopin like that. Even in the beginning when they kicked homeboy with the dreads out.

Homeboy was still taking hits after being told he wasn't going to make it...I would have whooped his ass.

Additionally this was pretty much a representation of pledging Que...and I still don't understand the branding ? . You now about to brand me