Fresh Produce Beat Battle 2: Mr Popo v. drematic (Winner: Drematic)

Options
Tha Killa
Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Fresh Produce
What up fellas? I know this battle has taken a minute to get under way, but I wanted to make it so that everybody had enough chances to prove they're the best in the game, so please excuse the delay.

This is how it's gonna work out. Each producer has until Thursday @ 5:00 PST to check in and post their beat for Round 1, in this thread, to be judged by your peers, AND the panel of judges I have selected. The winner of Round 1 is awarded 1 point

And if ya'll need a memory refreshment for the rules for Round 1:
Round 1 will consist of each producer submitting one of the hottest beats of their choice in the style that I give you. So if I ask you to submit a ? Souf beat each, the best beat, both sonically AND thematically, wins the Round. So if you ain't versatile, or at least have beats of different styles I suggest you pull out now. For each round I'll give you a day to submit that beat and I'll PM you a reminder of the deadline. So if you ain't already got a hot beat that fits the style that I ask for, make one nagga!

Today's style of beat will be Southern Playa Cadillac Soul. Here's an example of that style of beat. Here's a more recent example of that style of beat.

Round 2 will begin, in this thread, on Friday afternoon.

Comments

• drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    damn, ? .......bumpin'!!!
    2vd5yc6.jpg
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DAAAAMN GORILLA GRODD

Polow who?
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Good ? , but I woulda rather it be just the beat. Round 2 will be the one for remixes.
  • drematic
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Here is mine...not sure if it fits the criteria

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9487409
  • drematic
    edited August 2010
    Options
    i like that junt mane--break it on down brotha!
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Popo, can you post a zshare link to your beat? One of the judges can't access the beat for some reason.
  • Mr Popo
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Selassie_I
    Selassie_I Members Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I listen to both tracks a few times. The reference sound was the organized noize/cadillac music sound. Listening to Dre's beat, it was dope even if the vocals/adlibs over it took some of the shine away from it. It was smooth and the samples were used nicely. The drums weren't overdone but the rich boy hook took some of the potential away. A beat llike this I could imagine UGK on if ? C was still alive.

Popo's track was more simple and simplicity is usually a common factor among beats that are considered timeless. The sample is used well, the drums aren't too heavy and it's very mellow. It's mellow enough to stand alone without lyrics. the keys are subtle but adds a nice touch. This tracks, because of how mellow it is, I could hear a more lyrical artist on like Big Boi.

My vote is in favor of Popo
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Damn this was hard as ? to judge.

Here are the criteria that I ask the judges to deliberate on:

1.) Which beat could you see yourself bangin' in the whip wit' yo homies, friends, wifey, etc.... Basically, which beat best epitomizes that smooth versitile, soulful, playalistic style of music that you can only find in the South?

2.) Which beat could you see yourself, or your favorite MC making the best song out of? Which beat appeals to you most sonically (like the texture of the beat), and musically/aesthetically?

And with that said, I'd have to say that Popo's beat surprisingly fits criteria 1 better than drematic's....but slightly. It started off kinda "off", like something was up with the formatting of the beat, but that groove was undeniably dope and a force to be reckoned with. It was kinda slow tempo'd for my liking, but it has a certain quality to it that's appealing to all kinds of tastes imo.

I'd have to say that Drematic's beat fit criteria 2 better, surprisingly, because it's a banger that's just hood enough to be used by most ? South rappers, but JUST melodic enough to be versatile. I mean, I could see damn near any modern rapper on this song and there ain't to many beats I can say that about. Btw, I said "surprisingly" they fit certain criteria because upon the 1st listen I had both beats switched in which criteria they fit best in.

But after much review, and a lot of thought, I have to give the slight edge to Popo because the adlibs on Dre's kinda took away from his, and Popo's beat is very close to the style I envisioned when I gave ya'll that prompt. ? was tough as ? to judge for me though.

So in my next post I'll be giving ya'll an acapella to remix so we can start Round 2, but I'd still like some of the other competitors to chime in on their thoughts and judge too.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    damn, glad yall got ? crackn...good ? fellas
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ? ! Tony S. is back in this ? ? ? ' awesome. Where you been at ? ?
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    After the other judges chime in on the victor of Round 1..........
    Tha Killa wrote:
    Round 2 will consist of me giving each of you a modern Hip-Hop/R&B song's acapella track to remix and whoever constructs a better beat than both their opponent AND/OR the original producer, wins the Round

Round 2 begins with both producers remixing THIS song to the best of their ability. And whoever wins this Round will be awarded 2 points.

If the beat is too loud in the background I have a backup acapella for ya'll to remix if need be.

So make it count! I expect your submissions by Monday evening. Let's say 5:00 P.M. PST?
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    well dayum - fresh produce shinin' out here!!!
    drematic/gorilla grodd: ? is dope - I love how the sample was flipped; definately can here some ball & g verses over this
    popo: I am a mayfield junkie ("short eyes" soundtrack is a classic); the only thing this beat needs IMO is a fatter or fattening of the bassline; other than that, ? is bangin'

I give my vote to drematic - southern ? keep that ? in tha' trunk, ya' know? dope round, my dudes - way to show 'em how it's done!!!!
  • Mr Popo
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm gonna need a couple more days for Round 2. Making a beat for an acapella isn't something i really know how to do.
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Mr Popo wrote: »
    I'm gonna need a couple more days for Round 2. Making a beat for an acapella isn't something i really know how to do.

Ok. I'm gonna have to ask you get ready for Round 3 when I give ya'll the sample tommorow.
  • scotty b
    scotty b Members Posts: 216
    edited August 2010
    Options
    both beats were pretty good better than the last thread i was in.. break it down needs to be better mixed the snare is extra loud.. but my vote if i had one would of been to POPO
  • drematic
    edited August 2010
    Options
    da lupe junt: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=272538&songID=9527990

(sidebar: i coulda murked jones in the first round but i thought i could pull somethin old out the stash and skate by, plus the examples were misleading based on the judging criteria... okay i'm done whining.)
  • Tha Killa
    edited August 2010
    Options
    While the judges chime in on the victor of Rounds 1 and 2..........

Tha Killa wrote:
    Round 3 is the K.O. round, and it will consist of me giving both producers an old Soul, Rock, Jazz, Blues, Swing, Folk or Reggae song to sample and the person who best flips the sample wins the Round.

Round 3 begins with both producers sampling THIS song to the best of their ability. And whoever wins this Round will be awarded 3 points.

So make it count! I expect your submissions by Friday evening. Let's say 5:00 P.M. PST?
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    sorry it took me forever

Dre :)
    Popo :)

tie breaker was who was the cutest :) lol

naw... in all seriousness.

Dre beat was slightly better despite the blending issues. I got it; plus it worked the theme of the song genre better.

Dre: The beat is dope. I like the flute and the vocal harmonies in the background. It's like a surprise to my ears because it's not expected for me to hear the flute or the vocal harmonies. I love the violins/violas in the background; they could been place a bit more in the background a bit softer cause they do drown out the flute; because the flute carries the melody of the song; not the strings (unless it's first chair violin but there isnt much of a presence of the strings should be in like the flute was intended to be) I like the strong presence of the bass guitar; it reminds me of the south influence of a laid back 70's musical genre with a modern approach. I wish the beat was blended better because it sounds as if the flute is fighting the strings.. Awwww... there's congos in the background.. mmm.. they are too loud... but the drums and the bass is over powering the beatiful melody that is the beauty of the song.. oh yea! it sounds like I heard this beat before.

Popo: The build up with the vocal melodies "break it on down" gives me the impression on how this beat is going to give me a laid back listen. It's very southern gospel with a playalistic feel to it. I like the ? of the humming to the beat crashing on the & +4 down beat. One thing I do not like is that you didnt count the beat when you paused the beat. It was weird how you placed it on the and (+) beat not the 4th which onfused me a bit. Like why did you paused there? OH! I wish you wouldve separated the paused in the beat not back to back.. mmmm... in the beginning and towards the end to get the listener excited to see if there is going to be another pause. I do really like the spanish style guitar! it was a lovely surprise to hear. I loves the blending of the beat that you created. it is crafted pretty well..
  • drematic
    edited August 2010
    Options
    charlie dug my beat cuz my pretty boy swag
  • drematic
    edited September 2010
    Options
  • drematic
    edited September 2010
    Options
    this ? tha killer need to get back on his job
  • Tha Killa
    edited September 2010
    Options
    drematic wrote: »
    this ? tha killer need to get back on his job

Cosign. I been kinda sideswapped the last few days with work/school/life ? . I'ma get everything back on track by Saturday.