How Many Bad Albums Before Giving Up On An Artist?

Options
Built 4 cuban linx
Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/ETrHNNR6VaM

what about you guys? how many bad albums would you give an artist?

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I personally think a rapper can have a few duds. But if you have two consecutive wack albums I gotta write you off.

Nas is probably the only one that gets a pass because his first 2 are classics.

But maximum 2
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    Best of both worlds 1 & 2
    5 I guess
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem has 6 bad albums in a row, but yet his stans can't seem to realize that

Encore
    D12 world
    Re-up
    Relapse
    Recovery
    MMLP2

Em is a beast lyrically, but I can't even disagree w/ this...lol. He's been cranking out nothing but weed plates for a minute now.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2-3 will make me not check for them anymore. Eminem is one of those victims. From encore-recovery i was done. Recovery and relapse had some good songs, but not enough to make them great albums to me.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    5 I guess

In a row tho. Every artist has a few. Especially when you're 10 albums deep
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends on who the artist is. There are certain artists who even if they drop 2-3 duds in a row I just can't stop checkin for them because they have the potential to redeem themselves
  • StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    Options
    i rather listen to some brothas from the hood on the porch passing a sweet

but yall don't hear me tho
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    3 if they're established. 2 if they're new
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm older than the people on that panel so I remember a few artists from the 80s and early 90s that didn't get mentioned.

Melle Mel - Melle Mel was always my dude but he never released a proper album. By the time he started making full length albums the industry had changed and his style sounded dated.

KRS-One. His first two albums were solid, but he started getting socio-political to the point where I didn't understand his message. He still dropped heat every once in a while and made quasi-comebacks. But when he left Jive to go independent I don't remember him putting out any hits or club bangers.

Rakim - Ra was one of the best MCs to touch a mic. But after he parted ways with Eric B it seemed like he couldn't get his groove back. The 18th Letter was ok but the following album, The Master, could have been much better. I never heard the Seventh Seal.

Public Enemy - first three albums were solid. I don't remember checking for the 4th but Can't Trust It and the Shut Em Down Remix were hot.

LL Cool J - He was the hottest, biggest selling MC in the late 80s. But after Mama Said Knock You Out it just seemed like there were issues going on in society that he stayed away from. He still dropped hits up until 2003 but I stopped checking for him after Mama Said Knock You Out.

Basically it seems like an artist/group has a two or three album run. Then when they switch labels and get more business savvy the industry doesn't need them anymore. At least that's how I see it.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still think Nas is top 3 all time but his albums have consistently been bad since ? 's Son. He's had some classic singles but giving me 6-8 good songs and 6-8 average songs each album just ain't cutting it.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two normally

Three when you REALLY ? with somebody
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

LL Cool J - He was the hottest, biggest selling MC in the late 80s. But after Mama Said Knock You Out it just seemed like there were issues going on in society that he stayed away from. He still dropped hits up until 2003 but I stopped checking for him after Mama Said Knock You Out.

you didnt like the Mr smith album?
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    5 I guess

Now you switchin it up… the questioned was how many garbage cds a rapper got put out b4 you stop ? wit em
    Not how many consecutive garbage cds a artist has 2 put out b4 you stop chicken 4 em
    Had a spark when you started but now you jus garbage-jay lmao
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    5 I guess

Now you switchin it up… the questioned was how many garbage cds a rapper got put out b4 you stop ? wit em
    Not how many consecutive garbage cds a artist has 2 put out b4 you stop chicken 4 em

C'mon b. I got the first post in here and I clearly stated that in my first post.
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    5 I guess

C'mon b. I got the first post in here and I clearly stated that in my first post.

But I stop ? wit jay after kingdom com then bp3 sealed it black album is ok
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    5 I guess

What if u really love chicken tho??
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Jay z has bp2 bp 3
    Kingdom come
    5 I guess

But I stop ? wit jay after kingdom com then bp3 sealed it black album is ok

KC - meh
    AG - Dope
    BP3 - wack
    MCHG - wack

Yes that's enough to write Hov off to be making any classics in the future.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

you didnt like the Mr smith album?

I didn't actually check for it when it was out.

In hindsight there were some dope songs on it (I Shot Ya, Hey Lover, Doin It, Loungin and of course the I Shot Ya Remix) but I'd be lying if I said I bought the album when it came out.

And the following album had Phenomenon and 4,3,2,1 but again, I didn't buy that album.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food and Liquor 2 and lazers was on some ? , but as soon as I heard mural my ? made up for all that.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I just want Jay to be a drug dealer again...
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Depends on how great they were before their duds...if someone puts out 3 or 4 solid albums and has a few duds it's worth still checking for...if it's one great album and then straight trash for the next it's easier to give up on the artist

But it also depends on if you feel like the artist still has something to offer you, I don't need anymore prodigy albums, I'm good with what I've heard from him...even jayz..im not quick to go listen to the verses he's put out over the last couple years, a new album wouldn't have me really wanting it
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    Depends on how great they were before their duds...if someone puts out 3 or 4 solid albums and has a few duds it's worth still checking for...if it's one great album and the straight for the next it's easier to give up on the artist

But it also depends on if you feel like the artist still has something to offer you, I don't need anymore prodigy albums, I'm good with what I've heard from him...even jayz..im not quick to go listen to the verses he's put out over the last couple years, a new album wouldn't have me really wanting it

Cosign.

Sometimes you just have to remember the glory days.

I'm not expecting KRS, Rakim or LL Cool J to drop anything that would make me spend $15 but they're still GOATS.

I'd still pay to see them perform their old hits.