So are all you Egypt loving African Americans watching Henry Louis Gates' PBS special on Africa?

Options
fortyacres
fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
https://openload.co/f/qE57N5jqsWQ/africas.great.civilizations.part.1.part.2.hdtv.x264-w4f.mkv

Since ya'll only seem to claim Egypt and not West Africa here you go, enjoy....

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fam there's like 3 threads on the IC already
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fam there's like 3 threads on the IC already

Could you post the links?
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lmaooo "we used to be kings"

Everybody swears they family had pyramids n life was good like MJ do you remember the time

Ur from angola and senegal
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    To me the BBC documentaries was better. Dude toured all of Africa.

I will have to give this time!
  • Kwan Dai
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am on the fence right now.

There was to much focus on religion in the first couple of episodes. And I don't like how even the religious aspect has been whitewashed particularly the Jews making sure there was no connection between Jews and it's original people from Africa. They completely omitted Judaism and skipped straight to Christianity and Islam. I didn't quite gather how that could happen when Judaism predates Christianity and Islam.

Anyways. Hopefully it gets better. I am more interested in the culture of our great civilizations. The food, music, art, family structure, and the education more so than anything else.

• caddo man
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

There was to much focus on religion in the first couple of episodes. And I don't like how even the religious aspect has been whitewashed particularly the Jews making sure there was no connection between Jews and it's original people from Africa. They completely omitted Judaism and skipped straight to Christianity and Islam. I didn't quite gather how that could happen when Judaism predates Christianity and Islam.

Anyways. Hopefully it gets better. I am more interested in the culture of our great civilizations. The food, music, art, family structure, and the education more so than anything else.

I think he stuck with the themes of African religion. Not really the whole of religion
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

I think he stuck with the themes of African religion. Not really the whole of religion

Could you expand on your statement? I'm not sure what you mean?

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • caddo man
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Could you expand on your statement? I'm not sure what you mean?

I think........................He stuck with the predominate religions in Africa, (Christianity and Islam).
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Lmaooo "we used to be kings"

Everybody swears they family had pyramids n life was good like MJ do you remember the time

Ur from angola and senegal

Nothing wrong with those places, my ancestry comes from Angola. Mbundu.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Judaism really didn't have much of an impact on African history as Christianity and Islam had.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Judaism really didn't have much of an impact on African history as Christianity and Islam had.

But Africans did have an impact on what became Judaism fam, guess thats what Quan Chi means...

You n I both know the Egyptians controlled the lands now known as Israel n Palestine longer than the Romans n Israelis combined...

Not sure why a historian would ignore that part of history especially since the Egyptians themselves (like Toetmosis III) made those lands their business....
  • PureYang
    PureYang Members Posts: 520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm wondering if this is a new series.

Because I have DVDs from about a decade ago of HLG's last travels onto the continent to speak about Africa's civilizations.
  • caddo man
    Options
    gibor wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this is a new series.

Because I have DVDs from about a decade ago of HLG's last travels onto the continent to speak about Africa's civilizations.

Its new. I saw those too!
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

I disagree. Considering it is the father religion of both Christianity and Islam.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

But Africans did have an impact on what became Judaism fam, guess thats what Quan Chi means...

You n I both know the Egyptians controlled the lands now known as Israel n Palestine longer than the Romans n Israelis combined...

Not sure why a historian would ignore that part of history especially since the Egyptians themselves (like Toetmosis III) made those lands their business....

Indeed. There's no way possible for Africans to not have had interactions with those of Jewish faith. Which would then eventually lead to Africans accepting the faith, as they did with Christianity and Islam.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

I agree, the influence of Egypt in the levant was huge.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

I disagree. Considering it is the father religion of both Christianity and Islam.

If you are going that route, then yes but as Judaism by itself no.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Indeed. There's no way possible for Africans to not have had interactions with those of Jewish faith. Which would then eventually lead to Africans accepting the faith, as they did with Christianity and Islam.

Eh, there is really no evidence of that, Christianity and Islam have paper trail, while we do see some acceptance of Phoenicians and Canaanite deities, there was no mass movement of joining a hill country religious beliefs. We forget until invasion during the last millennial of BCE, the western Asians never made it to the southern part of Egypt.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Eh, there is really no evidence of that, Christianity and Islam have paper trail, while we do see some acceptance of Phoenicians and Canaanite deities, there was no mass movement of joining a hill country religious beliefs. We forget until invasion during the last millennial of BCE, the western Asians never made it to the southern part of Egypt.

There is plenty of Evidence and it's right in Ethopia, Abyssinia, Axum. What we are witnessing is a whitewashing because, making the connection makes Israel and current day jews and judaism a complete farce.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? SKIP GATES

Cornell West>>>>>
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    ? SKIP GATES

Cornell West>>>>>

Don't do that family. There's value in what Gates is doing. We might not agree 100% but there's some morsels in there.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

There is plenty of Evidence and it's right in Ethopia, Abyssinia, Axum. What we are witnessing is a whitewashing because, making the connection makes Israel and current day jews and judaism a complete farce.

We are dealing with a written source 700 years old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebra_Nagast
    They were writing back then as well. More likely they had a African religion more similar to other Nile valley religions.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    ? SKIP GATES

Cornell West>>>>>

He has his uses.