So are all you Egypt loving African Americans watching Henry Louis Gates' PBS special on Africa?

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't front. I hate when when ? all talking bout that Egypt ? .

My blackness comes from Ghana and the Ivory Coast.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Continue to be angry @Shizlansky
    Egypt is dope.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Egypt is dope.

Egypt is dope. But every black persons ain't from there
  • Ajackson17

Egypt is dope.

We are all from the nile valley brotha.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator

Egypt is dope.

no
  • Ajackson17
    fortyacres wrote: »

Egypt is dope.

no

@fortyacres yes we are brother embrace our ancestry. Once you know that you will awaken.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im from philly
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im from Crenshaw Mafia!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I am on the fence right now.

There was to much focus on religion in the first couple of episodes. And I don't like how even the religious aspect has been whitewashed particularly the Jews making sure there was no connection between Jews and it's original people from Africa. They completely omitted Judaism and skipped straight to Christianity and Islam. I didn't quite gather how that could happen when Judaism predates Christianity and Islam.

Anyways. Hopefully it gets better. I am more interested in the culture of our great civilizations. The food, music, art, family structure, and the education more so than anything else.

You're kinda missing the point. The documentary isn't about religions. It's about great African civilizations. The only reason Christianity and Islam were being discussed so heavily is because those religions had huge impacts on the cities/empires being discussed. If you can name a great Jewish African empire, you might have a point, but I don't know of one.
  • Ajackson17
    im from philly
    im from Crenshaw Mafia!

Just a human pit stop, we'll all go back into the Nile Valley
  • Ajackson17

There was to much focus on religion in the first couple of episodes. And I don't like how even the religious aspect has been whitewashed particularly the Jews making sure there was no connection between Jews and it's original people from Africa. They completely omitted Judaism and skipped straight to Christianity and Islam. I didn't quite gather how that could happen when Judaism predates Christianity and Islam.

Anyways. Hopefully it gets better. I am more interested in the culture of our great civilizations. The food, music, art, family structure, and the education more so than anything else.

You're kinda missing the point. The documentary isn't about religions. It's about great African civilizations. The only reason Christianity and Islam were being discussed so heavily is because those religions had huge impacts on the cities/empires being discussed. If you can name a great Jewish African empire, you might have a point, but I don't know of one.

That is being contested about a Berber princess/queen but from what I seen claims came from the 19th century about her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihya
  • Ajackson17
    @fortyacres @Shizlansky humanity came around the nile valley and I mean everyone before there was a nubia, egypt, put, kush, and etc etc etc. I was ? with ya'll on that.

But West Africans been around there for 12,000 years at least especially our Batwa ancestors. But we ain't Egyptians though, I mean they aren't even an ethnic group where you can see specific genetic markers and they mixed way too much but from what I heard Pula/Fula might have a connection with them though.
  • The Lonious Monk

That is being contested about a Berber princess/queen but from what I seen claims came from the 19th century about her.

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say here. My point wasn't that there were no Jewish civilizations in Africa. My point is that none of the "Great Empires" they are discussing were Jewish. They only even discussed the Berber insofar as how they linked up with Arabs to take over parts of Europe. The fact that some of them may have been Jewish wasn't really relevant to that discussion.
  • Ajackson17

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say here. My point wasn't that there were no Jewish civilizations in Africa. My point is that none of the "Great Empires" they are discussing were Jewish. They only even discussed the Berber insofar as how they linked up with Arabs to take over parts of Europe. The fact that some of them may have been Jewish wasn't really relevant to that discussion.

I'm saying it may be 19th century rhetoric is where he is getting his information from. There is a Berber princess that is claimed by Jews to be Jewish. But more likely she was a christian Berber fighting against Islamic forces. But people are trying to claim a Jewish colony in North Africa.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? SKIP GATES

Cornell West>>>>>

Don't do that family. There's value in what Gates is doing. We might not agree 100% but there's some morsels in there.

A broken clock is right twice a day
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havent seen the docs yet but I guess they didnt cover the Egyptian expansion/colonisation of their surroundings? Dynasties made ruling over parts of the mid east their priority and its fascinating what they achieved beyond their borders, so fascinating that thousands of years after the fact archeologists are still discovering Egyptian settlements in Israel and other nations...

If they did cover it, but didnt mention Israel than there is obviously fuckery going on cause thats like making a doc about England but not mentioning their colonisation of the americas. ? is significant historical knowledge
  • Ajackson17
    I havent seen the docs yet but I guess they didnt cover the Egyptian expansion/colonisation of their surroundings? Dynasties made ruling over parts of the mid east their priority and its fascinating what they achieved beyond their borders, so fascinating that thousands of years after the fact archeologists are still discovering Egyptian settlements in Israel and other nations...

If they did cover it, but didnt mention Israel than there is obviously fuckery going on cause thats like making a doc about England but not mentioning their colonisation of the americas. ? is significant historical knowledge

I have to finish them, but I seriously doubt it. The colonialization is what brought forth the foundation writing scripts that the middle east into Europe and the rest of the world is using today. But before they even talk about it they have to ask why would they do that when they were closed off from the rest of their neighbors and for good reason because their colonizers were those same people they later colonize in fear of being conquered again. Then that will destroy the mythos of exodus.
  • The Lonious Monk

I'm saying it may be 19th century rhetoric is where he is getting his information from. There is a Berber princess that is claimed by Jews to be Jewish. But more likely she was a christian Berber fighting against Islamic forces. But people are trying to claim a Jewish colony in North Africa.

Oh ok, got ya.
  • The Lonious Monk

You'd have a point if this was a documentary solely about Egypt, but it's not. It's about Africa as a whole. They can't go into extreme detail about every empire and still be able to address them all to a fair degree. Basically, all they've done is identify a few empires and summarized what made them special. It's good for what it is.
  • Ajackson17
    Yeah, I wouldn't think they would get deep, but just show that Africa had ancient empires and kingdoms like everyone else around the world.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd have a point if this was a documentary solely about Egypt, but it's not. It's about Africa as a whole. They can't go into extreme detail about every empire and still be able to address them all to a fair degree. Basically, all they've done is identify a few empires and summarized what made them special. It's good for what it is.

Yeah Ill check it out fam, sounds cool
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ya do know egyptians migrated to west Africa to escape persecution...Anyways Timbuktu was a Hebrew empire before being Muslim...So yeah a lot of us have egyptian ancestors.Let´s not be ignorant.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya do know egyptians migrated to west Africa to escape persecution...Anyways Timbuktu was a Hebrew empire before being Muslim...So yeah a lot of us have egyptian ancestors.Let´s not be ignorant.

You have scientific proof link genetic marker? DNA?
  • Ajackson17

I see you reading Chancellor Williams but he is wrong Judaism having a cultural hold on anybwest African empire. Timbuktu didn't exist before Islamic forces enter Africa as a huge cosmopolitan
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator

And you know like started in the Kenyan Delta and the original Bantu Tribes Migrated South and West.