Those Who Are Single or w/o Kids, How Do You Respond to Pressures to Get Married or Have Children?

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
(spin-off thread)

Especially for those who are 20+.

What's your response when your parents, siblings, friends, and/or society get at you for not being married or not having any children? Especially when they call you out for being selfish or wasting your prime years?

Do you ignore them? Give in to them? Fight them? Feel guilty?

There's obviously a generational difference between gender relations today and gender relations at least half-a-century ago, so I always tell my parents (I'm single with no kids) that times have changed, but they don't seem to understand or care. Honestly, I just think they want grandkids.

It's particularly annoying when all your friends are slowly getting married (one of my boy's wedding is in three months) and you're drama-free with a good job, and all your mother's friends are pushing their daughters on you. But I guess it could be worse.

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Nobody's ever said anything to me about it honestly
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody's ever said anything to me about it honestly

Because ur like me gabi, they know trying to set u up is a lost cause.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    i dont have those problems
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Was married at 25, divorce at 29. Thank ? I didn't get that chic ? pregnant.

But to stay on topic, some of my women spill ole talk to me about having kids so they can be ? parents.

Overall, I like my childless lane. I does what I want freely
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #childlessniggasquad

And nobody tries to put any type of a pressure on me
    I'm a grown ass man with my own bills
    U cant tell me to get an extra mouth to feed cause u miss having babies around....better go babysit
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am the youngest of four, so I don't get that lecture from my parents because my siblings already provided them with grandkids especially my brother. Thank my siblings tho because they went through that, so I wouldn't have to
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real real talk, im not here to say someshit like marriage or kids are a bad thing etc.

I will say though, in 2017, if you are married before the age of 30, chances are you ? up. If you have kids before the age of 33, chances are you ? up.

To answer the question, ? feeling pressured, I say ? it
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its better to take your time with those decisions because if things don't work out they have very leading consequences.

Don't get married or nut in females you aren't ready to be tied down to for life.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The only person trippin is my gf. My parents are in their 60s and still think they're too young to be grandparents
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    kymc98xib9gn.jpg

Don't be this guy
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    #childlessniggasquad

And nobody tries to put any type of a pressure on me
    I'm a grown ass man with my own bills
    U cant tell me to get an extra mouth to feed cause u miss having babies around....better go babysit

Interesting.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    What's annoying is when ur friends switch up and start asking permission to hang out and go hunting.

What's hella annoying is when ur friends date women with other kids and disappear.

I have no idea why any man would enter into a legal agreement with a woman and the government these days.

@kat lmaaaooooo at the unmarried female giving this feelings lolololol
  • Kat
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. I'm married, keep up William..guess I'm more of a woman now, huh?
    2. You got a feelings because despite seeming to be cool with your own choice in a life of solitude, you always gotta come for those that don't, who may also be genuinely cool in their choice. Avoiding women and children certainly hasn't saved you from any cynicism and bitterness. Not a good look.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't pay it any mind.

Some of the older women at my Church (60's and up) bring it up from time-to-time, but I just act polite and hear them out until they're done.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's annoying is when ur friends switch up and start asking permission to hang out and go hunting.

What's hella annoying is when ur friends date women with other kids and disappear.

I have no idea why any man would enter into a legal agreement with a woman and the government these days.

@kat lmaaaooooo at the unmarried female giving this feelings lolololol

@Will Munny

Not anymore.

Kathryn's actually been married for a few months.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    (spin-off thread)

What's your response when your parents, siblings, friends, and/or society get at you for not being married or not having any children? Especially when they call you out for being selfish or wasting your prime years?

There's obviously a generational difference between gender relations today and gender relations at least half-a-century ago, so I always tell my parents (I'm single with no kids) that times have changed, but they don't seem to understand or care. Honestly, I just think they want grandkids.

It's particularly annoying when all your friends are slowly getting married (one of my boy's wedding is in three months) and you're drama-free with a good job, and all your mother's friends are pushing their daughters on you. But I guess it could be worse.

Personally, I can say I'm fortunate for never having this type of pressure put on me by my parents. I've had family friends & older cousin to try and tell me that I should have a woman and I shouldn't be alone. Honestly, I hate when the question bought up because they are really treading into my business which I don't like.

I tried to tell my mom the other day that the dating/social world is different from the times she was in her prime and that these women be on some other ? these days. I rarely talk to my mom about any issues b/c she brushes it off like whatever and it ? me off sometimes b/c as you said parents don't seem to understand or care.

• Will Munny
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    2. You got a feelings because despite seeming to be cool with your own choice in a life of solitude, you always gotta come for those that don't, who may also be genuinely cool in their choice. Avoiding women and children certainly hasn't saved you from any cynicism and bitterness. Not a good look.

How is find a self actualized not involving raising another mans kid cynical?

If u give ur passions away by marrying a woman with kids cause ur scared of being alone, u are a ? .
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 'em.

I tell I got kids, but I send them home at 3PM every day. I use to be nice about it, but my family ran that ? into the ground over the last 5-7 years, so now they know better than to ask me that ? .
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tell em why you mad bruh

Well u just did

But tell em why u mad
  • Kat
    Options
    Kat wrote: »

How is find a self actualized not involving raising another mans kid cynical?

If u give ur passions away by marrying a woman with kids cause ur scared of being alone, u are a ? .

That's an opinion based on your own assumptions though. Maybe they actually care for the person..I know that may be hard for you to believe.
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    (spin-off thread)

I wish they would say this. I'll body their whole argument. We are all selfish to something