Welfare, section 8, entitlements....let's talk about it...

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadeye wrote: »

"I know that struggle too honey." - @Kat

Don't misquote me.

If I find myself in a situation where I actually qualify for the ? , you damn right I'm about to take full advantage. The government takes advantage of us whenever they can so why not return the favor when you can?

What I wouldn't do is make it a career. That ? is stressful and the food stamp office smells like struggle and depression.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't give a ? about ? like that.

You not living when everything you have is based off what someone is "GIVING" you. That ? can easily be taken away. Then where would those people be.

Besides majority of people like that are exceptions to the rule, outliers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I do want a food stamp card though.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7figz wrote: »
    So I'm talking to my mans, I aint seen in a while...he like I'm having another kid....im like no disrespect fam but I'm doing well financially and I can't afford kids how u popping them out ....he like fam my rent is 100 dollars a month....in a decent to good neighborhood...im low key salty...lol

What are yall thoughts on this?

I'm lost here - are you saying dude is on section 8 and welfare, or are you just assuming it ?

Personally, I don't give a ? about welfare. Especially not like how some people do. It's not like I'm going to get "welfare refund check" if they kick people off of welfare.

The government, and fools love to throw around how many "lazy people live like kings and buy jordans on welfare", but I feel like there's way more ways the government is taking and wasting our money - 100 times worse than welfare.

Fam if he tells me he is on it...how am I assuming it?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Its funny elzo that you made this thread because one of my peoples older sister had made a status that she finally signed up for section 8 yesterday. Some things should remain confidential. Folks be acting like they just passed a bar exam or got a college degree when they are accepted for section 8

Lmao idk but there s posed to be a huge waiting line....but when that ? opens up ppl be all over Facebook like yall need to hurry up and sign up
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't begrudge people on assistance, I grew up on assistance. The truth is though all the welfare ballers will be that way and their kids will grow up with that mindset too. It creates a cycle of poverty.

There is no easy life, its just people deciding they don't want the best life can offer and opting to live on what the gov provides. I'm glad that when my fam had it we still knew that you can really only progress through working or entrepreneurship. Being on the system is still scraping the surface of whats possible.

Also i dont care about ? in Jordan's or with cheap rent because its a classic tortoise vs the hare scenario. They all live well initially but over time...not so much.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Its funny elzo that you made this thread because one of my peoples older sister had made a status that she finally signed up for section 8 yesterday. Some things should remain confidential. Folks be acting like they just passed a bar exam or got a college degree when they are accepted for section 8

Lmao idk but there s posed to be a huge waiting line....but when that ? opens up ppl be all over Facebook like yall need to hurry up and sign up

I had this discussion about our generation set the bar too low for rewards. They act like getting it is a big milestone in life lol
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had S8 sometimes. It must be nice to have $50 rent.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Don't really care about folks using Govt. assistance. It's a myth they are living like kings and queens. A couple pair of Jordans and a cruise at tax time aint living like a king. These people are still well below the poverty line.

Also, when did men become eligible for Section 8? I aint never heard that one. Perhaps if they're primary caretakers of their children?

I applied for food stamps back in college. They were like keep it pushing sun. You work full time. That was my only foray into the world of Govt. assistance.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koltrain wrote: »
    This og I know wss telling me bout this. Said she got like 4 kids and live in a loft..flat screens everywhere, she keep her hair and nails done, new car, etc. She was hittin him up for money and he was ? cuz he thought she has money... she ended up gettin evicted. Turns out her rent was $8.. smdh

how, exactly the ? , does one get evicted when you payin $8 a month???[/quote]

Oh you'd be surprised loc..trust m that ? aint the first nor the last smmfh.

but this thread wreaks of hate. Fucc all that milk the system for as much as you can is the way I see it.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    This og I know wss telling me bout this. Said she got like 4 kids and live in a loft..flat screens everywhere, she keep her hair and nails done, new car, etc. She was hittin him up for money and he was ? cuz he thought she has money... she ended up gettin evicted. Turns out her rent was $8.. smdh

but this thread wreaks of hate. Fucc all that milk the system for as much as you can is the way I see it.

Lol I'm pretty sure I stated I was hating in the O/P
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    SimplyKrys wrote: »
    I wish I had S8 sometimes. It must be nice to have $50 rent.

Why don't you? So u can leave that immigration camp
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol I'm pretty sure I stated I was hating in the O/P

Why though?

You really have some jealousy towards someone whose so called gains can be taken away at the drop of a dime?

Welfare isn't a "to whom much is given much is expected" situation. The government gives them ? so they don't expect ? from them. It shows every damn day.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

how, exactly the ? , does one get evicted when you payin $8 a month???

it sounds like she was probably evicted for abuse of property. evicting an S8 aint easy at all. u gotta follow ur state laws and the HUD guidelines. so if u want to evict someone for back rent u gotta give them notice and at the same time hit HUD with notice u are trying to evict them. if u dont do that properly the judge can vacate the eviction. if it is because of back rent they just gonna tell u that u gotta give them time to pay the back rent.

in this case i doubt the landlord cared about $8 but probably got her out cuz of some ? going on that he didnt like. drugs or something.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't really care for it as I believe it encourages more single parent homes, absentee parents, and people who get comfortable with their circumstances and never want anymore for themselves or their children.

I think it's responsible for a lot of the generational poverty you see amongst people today as well.

A lot these folks be in their 20s with 2-3 kids living like they've retired to a hefty pension and living the dream.

The reality is that although government assistance might be a short term come up for some who are at and below the poverty line, BUT most really never accomplish anything of substantialness such as home ownership, landownership, a 401K, etc.

Don't let having flat screen TVs, smartphones, decent to nice cars, nice clothes, fresh hairdos, and stuff probably bought with income tax money fool you most of those folks making like 20K a year or less.

I'm not against government assistance for the disabled and infirmed, but folks who are under like 50 years old and with no physical or mental disabilities need to be out here working putting money into social security etc.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    7figz wrote: »
    So I'm talking to my mans, I aint seen in a while...he like I'm having another kid....im like no disrespect fam but I'm doing well financially and I can't afford kids how u popping them out ....he like fam my rent is 100 dollars a month....in a decent to good neighborhood...im low key salty...lol

What are yall thoughts on this?

I'm lost here - are you saying dude is on section 8 and welfare, or are you just assuming it ?

Personally, I don't give a ? about welfare. Especially not like how some people do. It's not like I'm going to get "welfare refund check" if they kick people off of welfare.

The government, and fools love to throw around how many "lazy people live like kings and buy jordans on welfare", but I feel like there's way more ways the government is taking and wasting our money - 100 times worse than welfare.

Fam if he tells me he is on it...how am I assuming it?

Ok I don't see that in the original post.

In any event though, I'm not about to be stressing over somebody on welfare like they're the enemy when I know the government takes our tax money for way wore more sinister reasons. I feel like that ? is a smokescreen. "Hey, worry about the people on welfare and not the fact that we spend billions on dumb ? ."

If somebody finds ways to get money back from this thieving ass government then so be it. Besides, everybody pays taxes, they might be getting some of their own money back, or their families money, etc... Mfs be acting like it's coming directly out of their pocket.

Misplaced anger if you ask me.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ol Jay's wrote: »
    smh @ caring about section 8 when At&t hasn't paid federal taxes and collected $34 billion in federal returns over the last 8 years

why you care about at&t when you got metropcs.

all in they business... putting they ? in the streets
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smh @ caring about section 8 when At&t hasn't paid federal taxes and collected $34 billion in federal returns over the last 8 years

I don't give a ? about AT&T which is worth billions not paying taxes just like I didn't give a ? about Wesley Snipes not paying his taxes it's a none story in relation to where my interests lay.

I do however care about the plight of people who look like I do. The government will go throw these low income shindigs in our community and try to control us to a degree saying you can only make this much money to live here and such basically enticing us to stay here and in poverty.

Everybody here probably got their phone AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon which are all basically the same company split up to make it more competitive. I bet ain't nobody here canceling their cell phone service because of these loopholes these companies take advantage of though. You should research the 7 Baby Bells if you haven't already.

• Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crude_ wrote: »

I don't give a ? about AT&T which is worth billions not paying taxes just like I didn't give a ? about Wesley Snipes not paying his taxes it's a none story in relation to where my interests lay.

I do however care about the plight of people who look like I do. The government will go throw these low income shindigs in our community and try to control us to a degree saying you can only make this much money to live here and such basically enticing us to stay here and in poverty.

Everybody here probably got their phone AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon which are all basically the same company split up to make it more competitive. I bet ain't nobody here canceling their cell phone service because of these loopholes these companies take advantage of though. You should research the 7 Baby Bells if you haven't already.

section 8 isn't designed to keep folks in poverty, it's a tool used to allow low income folks an opportunity to live in middle class neighborhoods thus giving low income kids to attend better schools

We pay taxes, so We fund the government, and I'd rather complain about my tax dollars going to corporations than to those living in poverty

Low income people spend a lot of money so that means they're paying sales taxes, so in actuality they're paying just as much taxes as the next

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Kat wrote: »
    deadeye wrote: »

"I know that struggle too honey." - @Kat

Don't misquote me.

If I find myself in a situation where I actually qualify for the ? , you damn right I'm about to take full advantage.

The government takes advantage of us whenever they can so why not return the favor when you can?

What I wouldn't do is make it a career. That ? is stressful and the food stamp office smells like struggle and depression.

@Kat

I know that's right sister.

nh

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to shame you or anything.

I did the same thing myself when I got laid off a few years back.

Not food stamps, but I got as much unemployment as I could.

People I used to work with wouldn't take it because they were embarrassed about it, but I used to think about how much the government used to take out of my checks (FICA and all that other ? ) and thought.........with all the tax dollars that got taken out of my check going towards helping other people.......this was an opportunity to get some of that money back and use it to help myself.

No shame at all.

But yeah, I agree with you Kat.

Anybody who falls on hard times would be a damn fool not to get whatever kind of government assistance they can.
  • Ol Jay's
    section 8 is the reason why Chicago isn't as bad as it used to be
  • Ol Jay's
    edited March 2017
    Kat wrote: »
    @deadeye

Since when is unemployment benefits considered government assistance? MFer you paid into that to insure your ass should you find yourself laid off.

I don't consider unemployment to be welfare..at all.

if we look at it like this, then government assistance is no different, we're paying into those programs too aka taxes

I don't understand how people believe that the money the government shells out is some kind of magical money that appears out of thin air, it's OUR money