Welfare, section 8, entitlements....let's talk about it...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    ? in mad at ppl using the govement when the govement stay using us

I don't know or see any 6 figure kneegrows on public assistance, much less millionaires.

You want to know why its because that ain't how people with money use the government, people with real money abuse and find loopholes in tax laws, get grants, file bankruptcy to restructure and not pay bills, etc.

Ain't nobody getting ahead on that little $1,200 fixed income they get from the government and I'm being very generous with that $ amount.

BUT they still find ways to benefit off the government, so who are they to cast judgement on anyone? They just doing it at a higher level.

So we really going to compare millionaires figuring out ways to preserve and make more millions to people making pennies on the dollar literally

I'm not casting judgement on anyone but single parent households, to many low income people living in small concentrated areas, crime, and little opportunity plague Black neighborhoods which is all a by product of this I do take issue with that.

If the government was giving Blacks and Black small business owners land grants and tax breaks I'd have no issue with that, but they know that's power in that so they dont do ish like that.

Rule Number #40 in the 48 Laws of Power

40. Despise the Free Lunch

What is offered for free is dangerous – it usually involves either a trick or a hidden obligation. What has worth is worth paying for. By paying your own way you stay clear of gratitude, guilt, and deceit. It is also often wise to pay the full price – there is no cutting corners with excellence. Be lavish with your money and keep it circulating, for generosity is a sign and a magnet for power.

more white ppl are on welfare, so this idea that the poverty, crime, single parent households that have plagued black communities for decades and decades is the byproduct of government "handouts" is short sighted and not supported by any substantial evidence

you'd think we would see a spike in the birth rate that corresponds with growth in welfare spending, but that is not the case

most ppl on assistance work. most ppl who apply for benefits do so after losing their jobs or medical emergencies

and with most assistance programs, they will cut you off after 5 years....not to mention section 8 is not guaranteed

what we see today in our communities is the result of 100 plus yrs of job and housing discrimination; and a biased criminal justice system

yes some ppl do abuse the system but I've known just as many ppl who have used government assistance to better their situations. and only a very small percentage of ppl

also this idea that welfare is some "free lunch" is misleading and not true

i can agree just giving people money or food without giving them the tools and support to be successful is counterproductive. but to cut the social safety net is not the answer either. fact is there will always be poor and low income ppl. unless you are ok with people going hungry or homeless

I never said anything about cutting the social safety net being the answer.

I actually agree with you on the housing discrimination, job discrimination, and a bias criminal justice system but that's not what was specifically asked here therefore I'll save it for another thread.

I never said ALL Black communities were plagued by the aforementioned, but to many are.

Section 8 vouchers are rather easy to get all you have to do is meet certain income requirements, generally but not always have kids that live in your custody (more dependents helps), be single, and not been convicted of certain crimes and have a relatively decent history at past residences you've rented. They'll support you for as long as your taxable income doesn't exceed some predetermined amount that usually is determined by the median income in that particular region.

Welcome to the IC newbie.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    I once knew this chick at an old job who gave up her full time position to part time so she can keep her section 8 even though she was basically next in line for promotion/raise.

That ? was sad af to me.

The truly sad part about that situation is that she probably was better off keeping her Section 8 benefits.

Simply because her full-time job probably didn't pay enough to cover her rent.

There's a huge difference between paying $50/month for rent (or whatever it is on Section 8).............or paying $1,000/month or more without Section 8 assistance.

Therefore, she had to choose between keeping her full-time job and going to a worse housing situation.........or maintaining her current housing situation by staying on Section 8.

Basically, whatever her full-time job was paying probably wasn't enough to cover her rent if she got off Section 8.

On the surface it seems like flawed logic, but.......in reality.......she actually made the right decision.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think there is more of a mental and spiritual issue going on here. Section 8, Food Stamps, etc etc aren't passes to act savagely. In fact it would make perfect sense for these types of communities to be in better shape then those that have people with more disposable income. We should be looking for better ways to raise the pride in ourselves that promote activism that results in us doing for our communities health, and maintenance.

Instead we continue to chase the American dream (White Life and Culture). A culture that SELLS us more is better and what we have most often times isn't enough.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

I don't know or see any 6 figure kneegrows on public assistance, much less millionaires.

You want to know why its because that ain't how people with money use the government, people with real money abuse and find loopholes in tax laws, get grants, file bankruptcy to restructure and not pay bills, etc.

Ain't nobody getting ahead on that little $1,200 fixed income they get from the government and I'm being very generous with that $ amount.

BUT they still find ways to benefit off the government, so who are they to cast judgement on anyone? They just doing it at a higher level.

So we really going to compare millionaires figuring out ways to preserve and make more millions to people making pennies on the dollar literally

I'm not casting judgement on anyone but single parent households, to many low income people living in small concentrated areas, crime, and little opportunity plague Black neighborhoods which is all a by product of this I do take issue with that.

If the government was giving Blacks and Black small business owners land grants and tax breaks I'd have no issue with that, but they know that's power in that so they dont do ish like that.

What is offered for free is dangerous – it usually involves either a trick or a hidden obligation. What has worth is worth paying for. By paying your own way you stay clear of gratitude, guilt, and deceit. It is also often wise to pay the full price – there is no cutting corners with excellence. Be lavish with your money and keep it circulating, for generosity is a sign and a magnet for power.

more white ppl are on welfare, so this idea that the poverty, crime, single parent households that have plagued black communities for decades and decades is the byproduct of government "handouts" is short sighted and not supported by any substantial evidence

you'd think we would see a spike in the birth rate that corresponds with growth in welfare spending, but that is not the case

most ppl on assistance work. most ppl who apply for benefits do so after losing their jobs or medical emergencies

and with most assistance programs, they will cut you off after 5 years....not to mention section 8 is not guaranteed

what we see today in our communities is the result of 100 plus yrs of job and housing discrimination; and a biased criminal justice system

yes some ppl do abuse the system but I've known just as many ppl who have used government assistance to better their situations. and only a very small percentage of ppl

also this idea that welfare is some "free lunch" is misleading and not true

i can agree just giving people money or food without giving them the tools and support to be successful is counterproductive. but to cut the social safety net is not the answer either. fact is there will always be poor and low income ppl. unless you are ok with people going hungry or homeless

I never said anything about cutting the social safety net being the answer.

I actually agree with you on the housing discrimination, job discrimination, and a bias criminal justice system but that's not what was specifically asked here therefore I'll save it for another thread.

I never said ALL Black communities were plagued by the aforementioned, but to many are.

Section 8 vouchers are rather easy to get all you have to do is meet certain income requirements, generally but not always have kids that live in your custody (more dependents helps), be single, and not been convicted of certain crimes and have a relatively decent history at past residences you've rented. They'll support you for as long as your taxable income doesn't exceed some predetermined amount that usually is determined by the median income in that particular region.

Welcome to the IC newbie.

not new, formerly known as @desertrain10... long story

bruh, you basically insinuated that government assistance is this big evil....don't walk it back now lol

and while section 8 requirements are lax, the vouchers are not easy to get ... due to funding issues, some ppl are on waiting list for 5 or more years before they can get one

remember hearing about people rioting in detroit and atlanta during events to distribute vouchers

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/01/12/riot-breaks-out-at-housing-assistance-event-in-taylor/

and had a friend 2,3 yrs ago slept outside in her car waiting to get a voucher because they raised her rent at her apartment complex when she was between jobs and had a 5 yr old to shelter....she didn't get one

• Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Go figure wrote: »
    I once knew this chick at an old job who gave up her full time position to part time so she can keep her section 8 even though she was basically next in line for promotion/raise.

That ? was sad af to me.

The truly sad part about that situation is that she probably was better off keeping her Section 8 benefits.

Simply because her full-time job probably didn't pay enough to cover her rent.

There's a huge difference between paying $50/month for rent (or whatever it is on Section 8).............or paying $1,000/month or more without Section 8 assistance.

Therefore, she had to choose between keeping her full-time job and going to a worse housing situation.........or maintaining her current housing situation by staying on Section 8.

Basically, whatever her full-time job was paying probably wasn't enough to cover her rent if she got off Section 8.

On the surface it seems like flawed logic, but.......in reality.......she actually made the right decision.

I agree with what youre saying except for the fact that the "right decision" means she will rely on the government forever and will always only make as much as section 8 allows.

Whereas the next person who took her spot and is on track to get the next promotion after will be able to live more comfortably without government assistance.

But considering shes a single mother i wasnt gonna judge
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So we really going to compare millionaires figuring out ways to preserve and make more millions to people making pennies on the dollar literally.

what is read on the IC should not be taken as wisdom. The poster should not be taken as wise. Fukk ? hide in plain site behind quote to appear intelligent. ignoring them is a sign of power

law 49
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember when odb got his welfare on mtv? .