Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne, and Ethan Hawke.

fortyacres
fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
edited March 2017 in Lights, Camera, Action!
https://youtu.be/W3aOg6_7cEc

Im sold by whatever this is about

dont know who Cara Delevinge blew to get this role after that Suicide Squad trash.

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Carter 2K17

Feel bad for whatever studio exec greenlit this.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this will tank but i like Luc Besson so will check it out.

Watched 'The Fifth Element' the other day for the first time in years, if it wasn't for Chris Tucker that movie would be a masterpiece.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lazypakman wrote: »

Watched 'The Fifth Element' the other day for the first time in years, if it wasn't for Chris Tucker that movie would be a masterpiece.

? multi pass in this ?

• Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good visually but gonna flop like Cloud Atlas
  • Broddie
    edited March 2017

La Femme Nikita was one of the first movies I used to regularly binge watch as a kid. Along with Robocop, Evil Dead 2, Ghostbusters, Batman, Superman, Predator, Aliens and The Terminator. It was also my first real non-Spanish foreign film.

So Besson has a lifetime pass from me for that and Leon. I enjoyed 5th Element too but not as much as everybody else but it's the one Luc movie I could always watch with my pop (he actually laughs at Ruby Rhod, cause somebody had to) and at least it was an original sci-fi premise.

With that said to me Besson is a shell of his former self (Lucy was awful) today. Aside from being destined to flop financially like John Carter (I mean Dane DeHaan is pure box office poison, this has no hope in making $) it also has another element John Carter had.

In that it is a story that for it's time was groundbreaking but then everything it inspired and influenced (like Star Wars which borrowed a lot from Valerian comics) has been xeroxed ad nauseum so much over the past 40 yrs it will ironically look like another generic imitator. Even if it's actually the originator. It's sad but true.

It's kinda the same problem the DCEU is facing. They have the ORIGINAL superheroes but since WB slept like babies for so long they are now coming across as wannabes and the real c list imitators (Avengers) seem like the pioneers to the mainstream audience. We have a world where a low rent Batman (Iron Man) has now surpassed The Batman himself in popularity with new generations in return.

I will watch it on cable though. But even though I always champion more original sci-fi (if you're not watching The Expanse and love sci-fi then you lost) I can't see myself paying to see this at the flicks. Not with those 2 charisma vacuums in the lead roles.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cloud Atlas was great.. flop does not denote quality..
  • Broddie

Cloud Atlas was great.. flop does not denote quality..

This looks more like Jupiter Ascending if you really wanna compare it to a Wachowski production.
  • Broddie
    Production Budget: $171 Million

Welp....
  • Broddie
    mc317 wrote: »

? multi pass in this ?

Mool-tee pazz!
  • lazypakman
    Fifth element will always have a special place in my heart, first time i ever witnessed ? on the big screen, my dad was the one who took me and him being a conservative muslim (who used to shriek every time flesh was shown in front of his kids) he really didn't know how to handle that ? .

whenever Mila displayed that breast meat i was all

giphy.gif
  • fortyacres
    Chickaaan Chickaaan
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Luc Besson. For all the ? he's done in recent years he's still the guy that directed Nikita, Leon and The Fifth Element. I've got time for this.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a trailer for this when i went to Life.

Looks dumb but i bet my 5yr old will love it

Rihanna was lookin real nice in the trailer too
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man by that trailer it looks good af
  • fortyacres
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O thought this was based on mass effect andromeda when i saw the trailer.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not be seeing this.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2017
    When is this coming out? Saw the trailer on a big screeb and it looked beautiful and Luc got into filmmaking just to make this movie one day. So I might just watch it at the movies after all.

It's just a shame about the leads. Even Emma Stone and Baby Driver would be more appealing couple of leads. Ideally in a perfect world it would've been a young Hugh Jackman and Jessica Chastain.
  • lazypakman
    I'm going to get absolutely licked for this film
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna see this so bad man
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    texas409 wrote: »
    I wanna see this so bad man

I think it's gonna be fire. Quote me later.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

• farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ITS A FRENCH MOVIE SO YALL BETTER TAKE YOUR FRENCH FRIES OR CROISSANTS AND SUPPORT IT !!!
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same director from the Fifth Element. Yea ill be checkin