Has The Knicks Drama/Failure Damaged Phil Jackson's Legacy?

blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
Simple question...do ya'll think Phil Jackson's legacy will in any way suffer because of this ? he's got going on with the Knicks?

Comments

• White_Owl_Willie
    White_Owl_Willie Members Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    For me, no. I remember and respect the rings.

But I have noticed the "Popavich is the goat" narrative being pushed more than it was prior to Phil's front office exploits with the Knicks.

Pop is worthy of the consideration, no doubt, but his status is also boosted by the fact that Phil's name has been so closely associated with trash and dumbassery the last couple years (by his own doing nonetheless).
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

But I have noticed the "Popavich is the goat" narrative being pushed more than it was prior to Phil's front office exploits with the Knicks.

Pop is worthy of the consideration, no doubt, but his status is also boosted by the fact that Phil's name has been so closely associated with trash and dumbassery the last couple years (by his own doing nonetheless).
    I think it was like that b4 the front office ? too, I think folks look at what pop has worked with and compare it with Phil havin mj Scotty Kobe m Shaq
  • White_Owl_Willie

I think it was like that b4 the front office ? too, I think folks look at what pop has worked with and compare it with Phil havin mj Scotty Kobe m Shaq

Very true. Popavich has only had 1 goat level player. Phil never coached without at least 1. I do wonder how MJ, Shaq, and Kobe would've done under Pop from a personality stand point. Prime Scottie would've made a perfect Spur, Kawaii before Kawaii.

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Phil should have ridden into the sunset after his Lakers coaching gig.

He's arguably the greatest pro basketball coach ever although maybe a little overrated imo because he always had some of the most talented players in NBA history. Give a few of those other upper echelon coaches of the time that talent and they would have won too.

Phil had 3 of the top 6-7 players ever to play the game of basketball imo; and I could make a good argument for a prime Scottie Pippen being a top 30-40 player too it hurt him statistically playing in Jordan's shadow all those years though.

Those Phil Jackson Bulls and Laker teams always kept high quality role players and journeymen to (i.e. Horace Grant, Ron Harper, Dennis Rodman, Toni Kukoc, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry etc)

Other than drafting Portzingis Phil's tenure in NY has mostly been trash, arguably GOAT coach but questionable talent evaluator and front office guy.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    IMO, nope. He still has 2 more years to fix things and move the Knicks in the right direction before he leaves. His first big mistake was signing Melo to that NTC which lead to another mistake after another. If he would've let Melo walk the beginning of his presidency things would be different. I believe the Knicks would be in a better position than they are right now instead of trying to build around Melo. He's handled some things poorly but he's done a good job of keeping Knicks draft picks.

Phil doesn't even value Kristaps Porzingis like that anymore. Last season Kristaps went from this

To this in phil's eyes

This summer is gonna be interesting to see how Phil handles things. Personally I'm hoping he blows the whole team up and start from scratch. I can only imagine if he would've done that from the start. I don't care about this wack rhetoric that the Knicks is a toxic organization for free agents and other ? . Building from scratch is the only way to fix that.

I'm sure Steve Mills is soaking up everything that's going on and will be the perfect replacement after Phil
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage Phil's legacy? Only if he was coaching this ? train.

Has Phil's respect level taken a hit? ? yeah. Running Melo out of NYC has made the Zen Master of Buddhist ? this past year.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Phil Jackson talked ? about Kobe & Shaq too. He called Gasol soft. He's always been an ? .

It's only a problem now because he's not winning
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very true. Popavich has only had 1 goat level player. Phil never coached without at least 1. I do wonder how MJ, Shaq, and Kobe would've done under Pop from a personality stand point. Prime Scottie would've made a perfect Spur, Kawaii before Kawaii.

It never makes sense when people say ? like this. Pop had David Robinson and then got Duncan and Parker. Jordan didn't win anything before Phil and the Lakers were in a drought for years until Phil got there. every winning franchise has top talent. the Spurs won't win another one without Duncan. You can book it. Gregg is right after Phil though.
  • Logical Truths
    Logical Truths Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭
    People will always remember that Phil had 11 rings, and coached 3 of the top 10 NBA players all-time. Right now he's tarnishing how people view him as a person.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Na....is like saying Jordan legacy is damaged bc the bobcats been ass.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always felt like in order for carmelo to win he will have to be the 2nd best player on his team or play with a GREAT point guard, one who wouldnt let him stall the offense. Not saying Jeremy Lin was a great PG, but I think melo hated playing w him bc he actually deviated from the give melo the ball and let him run the clock down n shoot a low percentage shot plan. Lin actually created shots for himself and other players not named carmelo
  • Rocky Blackboa
    Rocky Blackboa Members Posts: 12
    As a coach not really but as a front office guy, he has proven to be inconsistent at best and just plain garbage at worst.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Question:

Did he break up with Jeannie because he took a job in NYC? Or did he take a job in NYC because he knew that relationship was coming to an end?

Lol I really hope for dude's sake it wasn't the latter, throwing True Love in the bushes for the Knicks would be all-time self-ether.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popwon with way less... but I cant front like David Robinson wasnt great.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion phil gets credit for managing egos as a coach. It's hard to handle Jordan and Rodman and Kobe and Shaq. However even as a coach he never stayed with a team after they fell apart which is a ? move. Of course the triangle worked with top 50 all time players but he never proved he could rebuild and continue to win like Pop has done.

The knicks drama is partially phils fault as well. He was too much of a ? to coach and then forced the triangle on the knicks which is why certain stars would never wanna play for the knicks. Sure the knicks ? ? up on their own but the triangle only made it worse.
  • White_Owl_Willie

It never makes sense when people say ? like this. Pop had David Robinson and then got Duncan and Parker. Jordan didn't win anything before Phil and the Lakers were in a drought for years until Phil got there. every winning franchise has top talent. the Spurs won't win another one without Duncan. You can book it. Gregg is right after Phil though.

That's a bold statement (literally), they've basically got their new Duncan in wing form, a top 2 all-time coach, and a culture/system that keeps them in the hunt year after year. I know GS looks poised to treat the west like Lebrons been treating the east, but NBA life comes at you fast.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil was backseat coaching in NY tho......