Judge Rules University Must Let White Supremacist Richard Spencer Speak Auburn University...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/judge-rules-university-must-let-white-nationalist-richard-spencer-speak/
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — A federal judge has ruled that Auburn University must let white nationalist Richard Spencer speak on campus Tuesday.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge W. Keith Watkins came at a hearing in a lawsuit challenging Auburn’s refusal to let the talk occur in the student union, as originally planned. Lawyer Sam Dickson filed the suit on behalf of Cameron Padgett, identified as an Atlanta-area resident who rented an auditorium for Spencer’s talk.

In a statement, the university said it would abide by the decision and allow Spencer to speak.

“We continue working closely with law enforcement officials to ensure the safety of the campus community,” the statement said.

Both Spencer supporters and opponents are expected to attend, and police say they’re establishing a protest zone.

Spencer previously made news by addressing a far-right gathering where audience members gave a ? salute.

Hopefully somebody does a repeat of..

i04nfalvqdpp.gif

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is Alabama after all...

Auburn is very conservative as far as colleges go.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Lol this made it to federal court? Shoulda just did what Berkeley did to that milo fool and rioted so hard he didn't feel safe to come there
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Generally, I personally advocate anyone's right to speak, even white supremacists, but Auburn should be able to decide who can speak and who cannot speak on their own damn campus.

The federal government has no right to dictate to...wait just did a quick google search and turns out that Auburn is not a private but public university, so I guess it has to follow state law, whatever that law says. But Alabama should make that decision, not a federal judge.

There'll probably be some violence, especially from non-students, but I don't see any Berkeley-type violence going down. Alabama sure isn't California.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Lol this made it to federal court? Shoulda just did what Berkeley did to that milo fool and rioted so hard he didn't feel safe to come there

You still don't think that riot was counterproductive? Because of the riot, he got a big live news interview for a national audience, and the Berkeley campus went to ? . If it wasn't for that "? " scandal, he'd have been riding higher than he would've ever been all because of the riot. He loved it.

You don't see a potential Streisand effect happening here? Most of the country doesn't know who Spencer is. Give him a Berkeley-style riot, and you'll give him free press and a bigger audience/following.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boycott let him speak to an empty venue
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    he should be aloud to speak , if yall are nice and believe in your ideology, you would engage him and poke holes at his argument.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he wants to talk he can i just know if i was a black student on campus an a ? go talkin crazy imma use Richard Spencers hate mongering as the reason for whoopin that crackers ass
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freedom of speech. Let him speak. His words have consequences though. ? like this isn't an issue at Morehouse, Howard, FAMU, and other HBCUs. Again, I never judge a person's decision to go to a PWI. Just realize who u are in that environment. Auburn is a private school. Ask yourself, if private schools can dictate things as trivial as dress code, what type of institution would be comfortable with having this dude come to voice his opinion on race relations?? Go tigers, though...smh
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Freedom of speech. Let him speak. His words have consequences though. ? like this isn't an issue at Morehouse, Howard, FAMU, and other HBCUs. Again, I never judge a person's decision to go to a PWI. Just realize who u are in that environment. Auburn is a private school. Ask yourself, if private schools can dictate things as trivial as dress code, what type of institution would be comfortable with having this dude come to voice his opinion on race relations?? Go tigers, though...smh

I think aurbun is public
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »

I think aurbun is public

Ether! I'm an idiot lol Carry on....
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    he should be aloud to speak , if yall are nice and believe in your ideology, you would engage him and poke holes at his argument.

? the only ones want to hear out someone preaching hate and argue points......and its allowed genius
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    gns wrote: »

? the only ones want to hear out someone preaching hate and argue points......and its allowed genius

These fools really think we're supposed to politely debate with people that consider us to be animals and either want to enslave or exterminate us.

They're not trying to have an intelligent discourse, they're trying to recruit more soldiers in a war against us.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what some of them genuinely believe:

"The only real racism today is racism against whites."
    "Whites are the most oppressed group today and have it the hardest."
    "Whites are under attack by evil folks in power who want white genocide."
  • Plutarch
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »

I think aurbun is public

It is. I already pointed that out.

I'm not sure many people understand the big differences between public and private though.
  • Plutarch
    edited April 2017
    Options

SneakDZA wrote: »
    These fools really think we're supposed to politely debate with people that consider us to be animals and either want to enslave or exterminate us.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

If you really think that, you're either disingenuously distorting that point of view, or you genuinely don't have a full understanding of that point of view.
    They're not trying to have an intelligent discourse, they're trying to recruit more soldiers in a war against us.

Yes, a white supremacist is not intelligent enough in the first place to have an intelligent discourse. Regardless, it is legal for them to do what they're doing.

Free speech is a double-edged sword, and like it or not, it also protects most hate speech. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

No one here wants them to speak and/or recruit, but it's their right to do so. Do you think violence and rioting is going to help? Yeah, it might help them. There are much more reasonable and more productive alternatives, imo. And still, they won't be 100% successful.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Would a radical Muslim be able to visit a college and say the type of ? he want to?
  • Plutarch
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ^^^ ? , what.

Nah, to answer your question, he should be able to do so. But I wouldn't be surprised if a double standard was pulled.

There are limits to free speech though. If a radical Muslim or a white supremacist calls for violence and such, they should be arrested.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • fortyacres
    Options

Roland Martin did and made him look like an idiot on national TV .
  • fortyacres
    Options

touche' on the spelling part...
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah.....he dont even need to take away football. just take away black players and see how far auburn or any other white university get.....hell even their endowments will dwindle. but yall (blacks) dont want that for ? do yall?