Universal Confirms Monster Movie Universe With Johnny Depp, Javier Bardem

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

The monsters are back. Astute viewers have known for awhile now that Universal’s upcoming remake of The Mummy could serve as a jumping-off point for a new film franchise featuring Universal’s stable of classic monsters.

After all, in addition to Sofia Boutella’s titular monster and Tom Cruise’s intrepid adventurer, Nick Morton, the film also features Russell Crowe as the conspicuously named Dr. Henry Jekyll. Now, with just a few weeks to go before The Mummy‘s release, Universal has released more details about the incipient franchise, which will be known as the Dark Universe.

In addition to the characters introduced in The Mummy, Dark Universe films will also feature Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man and Javier Bardem as Frankenstein’s Monster.

The next installment of the franchise will be Bride of Frankenstein, currently set for release on Feb. 14, 2019 — a very monstrous Valentine’s Day. That film will be directed by Bill Condon (Beauty and the Beast) and will feature Bardem, though his female counterpart has not yet been cast. Both The Mummy and Bride of Frankenstein will feature a new Dark Universe logo. Check out the logo below.

Universal Pictures

For those curious for more story details about the Dark Universe, Universal has set up two websites.

http://www.WelcomeToProdigium.com gives viewers a quick look at Prodigium, the mysterious international monster-fighting organization run by Crowe’s Jekyll, while http://www.DarkUniverse.com is a landing page for news and images.

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had the perfect opportunity to call it: The Monster Mash. Watch Tom Cruise secretly be Dracula.

I'd be down with this concept if they weren't just making them all shallow action movies. But from the looks of the new Mummy: Impossible movie that is not the case.

The classics still stand because of atmosphere and good character work. Not because of spectacle. But I get that it's the only thing movie audiences respond to today. Even if all those actors are capable of so much more.

Watch them all team up against Van Helsing instead of going up against/or manipulating each other like back in the day.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dont have a lot of hope for this, but ill give the first round of movies a shot. Doubt i will see any of them in theaters though.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im with this great actors and endless possibilities
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCm2PX5Iz00

They basically confirmed the Monster list for the Dark Universe.

Dracula (I believe that last Dracula movie was supposed to be the first movie of this Universe)
    Mummy
    Invisible Man
    Bride of Frankenstein (and Frankenstein's Monster by association I'm guessing)
    The Wolfman
    The Phantom of the Opera
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • Broddie
    Options
    That Dracula Untold movie was a major fail. It won't be part of this at all.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe are so short that they had to sit the other guys down.

Looks like Cruise is standing on a box
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im kinda excited to see Crowe play Dr. Jekyl/Mr Hyde if he gets his own solo movie
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So who is Tom Cruise's character??
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So who is Tom Cruise's character??

A Scientologist Tomb Raider who searches the world for L Ron Hubbard's alien mummy, but keeps unleashing this ? .
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Sounds like A league of Extraordinary Gentlemen type reboot
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe are so short that they had to sit the other guys down.

Yeah I noticed in that james bond gif with Sean, Roger n Caine, Roger is standing right next to Sean but appears taller lol....sean is 189 n roger was 175 lmao...
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Crowe might be the tallest one there. Cruise just wanted to be in the middle.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now this seems interesting I would see none of those monster solo movies but put them all in one could be cool
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Wollfman vs dracula: midnight scare
  • Broddie
    Options
    People are assuming that Cruise is secretly Dracula since apparently his Generic McAdventurer is immortal.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    The original movies are what inspired all of those actors to even become actors and take it seriously. I believe Cruise or Depp once cited Bela Lugosi as an influence.

The band of actors they have is a very good sign. Tom Cruise will make whatever movie he's starring in a major hit.

The hardest one will be the Wolfman, Dracula and Frankenstein.... Johnny Depp needs to do Dracula not The Invisible Man. There was once a time vampires and werewolves were scary, now ? Teenage girls date them SMMFH.

I don't think any of them will be hard. These movies aren't really supposed to be scary. They are supposed to be monster inspired thrillers. It's not like Twilight made people not want to see the Underworld movies.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That Dracula Untold movie was a major fail. It won't be part of this at all.

I do remember around the time it came out it was supposed to produce more movies in the same universe. I guess when it flopped they scrapped that ? .

EDIT: Yup that's exactly what happened:

On October 1, 2014, it was announced that reshoots had taken place shortly after the end of production to tie the film into the planned Dark Universe/Universal Monsters film series.[28] Producer Alissa Phillips hoped that Evans' character might have a cameo in a future The Mummy film and also spoke of a potential sequel to Dracula to reboot the franchise.[29] In an interview with IGN, director Gary Shore stated, "It's optional for them if they want to use it as that launching pad."[30] On October 15, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the ending scenes of the film hinted that the film Dracula Untold could be included into the monsters universe.[21] Since the release of Dracula Untold, however, the connections to the shared universe have been downplayed and The Mummy (2017) has been re-positioned as the first film in the series.[31][32]
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's face it...this is clearly being made to emulate the Marvel films and attempt to get some of that sweet "shared universe" money

BUT the fact that they are setting it in the "present day" and making the first film, The Mummy, an obvious action, and not horror, film tells us that they are strictly aiming at the teenage age demographic.

Every single "monster" is going to be played by someone gorgeous with minimal makeup and rather than be Monsters they'll be pretty much superheroes.

I fully expect Scarlet Johansson as the Bride of Frankenstein and the Rock as the gritty, misunderstood Creature from the Black Lagoon.

And yes they'll team up together to stop a "grave threat" to humanity at some point. Dracula? Aliens? Alien vampires?
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Johnny Depp should just play every role he takes, as Jack Sparrow. I'd watch...
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll watch all of these on Redbox
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll watch all of these on Redbox

Ill save my judgment for the mummy first. That last mummy flick with jet li was straight horse ?
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    The original movies are what inspired all of those actors to even become actors and take it seriously. I believe Cruise or Depp once cited Bela Lugosi as an influence.

The band of actors they have is a very good sign. Tom Cruise will make whatever movie he's starring in a major hit.

The hardest one will be the Wolfman, Dracula and Frankenstein.... Johnny Depp needs to do Dracula not The Invisible Man. There was once a time vampires and werewolves were scary, now ? Teenage girls date them SMMFH.

blade_vs_twilight.jpg