Christian: "Logic is the devil's work and has nothing to do with faith"

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Christian just told me this today.

Christians, does this sort if thinking make you proud? You don't feel embarrassed knowing that your religion requires you to not think logically?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kind of agree. Like if I am practicing listening to that "inner voice" or "intuition", logic will fail you.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's weird cuz I had relatives who told me the same thing. They said I "think too much" and that's the reason I don't believe. I asked them, am I supposed to turn dumb to believe in Christianity? They got real silent after that.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While there is another dimension of existence, the spiritual, or the meta, which we haven't even gotten near getting our heads around. I don't think just throwing logic to the burning bushes is intelligent either.

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Christians, does this sort if thinking make you proud? You don't feel embarrassed knowing that your religion requires you to not think logically?

i didn't want to respond and probably won't say more on this, but anybody that thinks one random Christian's unbiblical response speaks for what the Bible says in context (when it doesn't say logic is in any way against Christianity) makes a Christian feel any type of way is very poorly educated on what the Bible says.

Did you hear what Neil Armstrong said about a dog with five legs and those who don't believe in ? ?
  • soul rattler
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »

i didn't want to respond and probably won't say more on this, but anybody that thinks one random Christian's unbiblical response speaks for what the Bible says in context (when it doesn't say logic is in any way against Christianity) makes a Christian feel any type of way is very poorly educated on what the Bible says.

Did you hear what Neil Armstrong said about a dog with five legs and those who don't believe in ? ?

Do you agree that logic is in opposition to faith?

Yes or no
  • soul rattler
    Options
    I kind of agree. Like if I am practicing listening to that "inner voice" or "intuition", logic will fail you.

That's if you're a naturally illogical mindstate
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Ok the whiskey from last night got my brain all fussy rn and idk wtf you mean.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do non-believers identify themselves w/ every idiot that happens to be a fellow non-believer? *rhetorical question*
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Jonah 2.0 wrote: »
    Do non-believers identify themselves w/ every idiot that happens to be a fellow non-believer? *rhetorical question*
    Christians identify with one another based on the ? ? that constitutes Christianity.

People who don't believe in Christianity don't have to do that.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol how stupid is this
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, but when I come across some guy like Dawkins or Sam Harris who make statements about their reasoning I contrast it with my own to compare thinking. My own beliefs are immediately accessible to me, but the beliefs of others are not. In order to make that comparison, it is necessary to ask other Christians.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a nonChristian,

I will say that Logic and the irrational are two sides of the same coin. Logic is the core of the ego. The ego's job is to help you survive. The Irrational is the heart of the subconscious things like intuition, low key telepathy, gut feelings, even faith, prayer. Those are irrational things, and if you are a christian you are supposed to give yourself over to the foolishness of christ rather than the wisdom of men. 1 Corinthians Chapter 1

A lot of so called christians don't read the bible at all. If you are a christian you are to be separate from the world to remove all worldly influences that would divert your attention and focus from your ? . @DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Should co sign me. But even if he doesn't, my past life as a fundamental christian gave me insight to the bible I hadn't learned in my previous years.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Lmao Dou ain't come out of the world.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    As a nonChristian,

I will say that Logic and the irrational are two sides of the same coin. Logic is the core of the ego. The ego's job is to help you survive. The Irrational is the heart of the subconscious things like intuition, low key telepathy, gut feelings, even faith, prayer. Those are irrational things, and if you are a christian you are supposed to give yourself over to the foolishness of christ rather than the wisdom of men. 1 Corinthians Chapter 1

A lot of so called christians don't read the bible at all. If you are a christian you are to be separate from the world to remove all worldly influences that would divert your attention and focus from your ? . @DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Should co sign me. But even if he doesn't, my past life as a fundamental christian gave me insight to the bible I hadn't learned in my previous years.

What do you mean "past life" my friend?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao Dou ain't come out of the world.

I am in the world, but not of the world. Amen.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The science of intuition

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/radical-remission/201405/the-science-behind-intuition

Logic is slow and very analytical, but it's also necessary when you have to do long and drawn out processes.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The science of intuition

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/radical-remission/201405/the-science-behind-intuition

Logic is slow and very analytical, but it's also necessary when you have to do long and drawn out processes.

I watched a thing on our hearts and how it was able to tell roughly 3-5 seconds before something happened that something was going to happen. Obviously not scary but like the decks of cards, I think it was pictures. I can't find the video now cuz I don't bookmark ? cuz if you found it once you can find it again on the internet! ? as motto.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    They used to have this website "pick the perp" or something like that. It lined up 4/5 people and then one crime was detailed and you had to guess which one did it. We would turn our backs and have the other person read the crime and the other guess without seeing the picture who did it. We were more accurate when we didn't see the pictures. Another friend of mine we used to use a dice and predict what number was going to roll. Again if we didn't think about it and just blurted out the first # to "come" to us, we were more accurate. I used to use cards with the girls, we would each take turns practicing guessing the card. You really have to practice not thinking.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody can call themselves Christian. You judge a tree by it's fruit.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the weed is what's missing. It all becomes clearer when you're high.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's a nonsensical statement. As a Christian, when it comes to your relationship with ? , that's faith based. And that's important because ? should be the center of your life. However, when you're navigating through your life, you have to rely on logic. Even the most devout Christian isn't just sitting around waiting for ? to answer every mundane question that pops up from day to day.

Half the ? on this board are happily illogical anyway, so what difference does it make?
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Faith in biblical terms has always been about logic.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »

Nah, faith is basically the opposite of logic. The Bible says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." Basically, faith leads you to believe something when there is no logical reason you should. The Bible doesn't say that you shouldn't exercise logic in your daily life. It just says that you should be led by your faith in ? first and foremost.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »

Nah, faith is basically the opposite of logic. The Bible says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." Basically, faith leads you to believe something when there is no logical reason you should. The Bible doesn't say that you shouldn't exercise logic in your daily life. It just says that you should be led by your faith in ? first and foremost.

It's a misconception that that verse is in support of illogical belief...it's doesn't say the evidence itself is unseen. It says things that are unseen left evidence. Im sure you can think of a few examples of this.

The standard always been:
    John 10: 37 "If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”

People were ALWAYS given evidence thst ? is who he said he is and that the people who sent by him really were.

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could be true. U gotta admit he a cold Muthafucka.