Options

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cole tries to do too much on his own when it comes to his music

damn near produces the entire album himself

no features

I mean its cool if you can pull it off, but why make a good album all by yourself when you could make a great album with some collaborators?
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He needs better producers sometimes but I'm fine with no features
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE LAST ALBUM WAS TRASH, HIS WORST ALBUM TBH...
    FOREST HILLS WAS COOL...
    BORIN' SINNER IS HIS BEST WORK IMO...
    THE DEBUT WAS LUKEWARM...

HE'S COOL, BUT HE AIN'T ? ...
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    Nah Son wrote: »
    BDBIID wrote: »

4 your eyez was forgettable

yeah I remember that ? getting hyped up in here for no reason

but but but he raps from the standpoint of his dead homie

Not hype IMO. That title track is hip hop storytelling at its best and one of the best songs of Coles career along with Neighbors and Change

the track was cool but the album as a whole was forgettable imho
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Yeah Cole is never compared to Kenny

Thats cuz ? know cole aint seeing kenny neither is sean

Kennys like goku

An cole is vegeta

Ya cole strong with it but the gap between him and kenny wide

Vegeta>Goku
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe if he made a longer album the discussion would be different.

I enjoyed it but it's too short but he made the album he wanted and as a fan I can't be mad at that. He's in a good space where he can enjoy success and speak on things he wants. He's not chasing something, he created his own lane and he's excelling.

He isn't above reproach though. I'd like to hear him work with different producers and work with other artists to build a chemistry with. My ? ain't even got a female vocalist that he collabs with on the regular. And that would be great to add extra layers to his music.

His albums always leave me wanting more like something is missing. As good as FHD was even that album was short because the outro was like 15 mins.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    J. Cole is a better lyricist than Kendrick Lamar. His word play, rhyme schemes, even narratives are better. Doesn't change the fact that Kendrick makes better choices with beat selection, song structure and themes.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see alot of these guys Wale, drake, Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar etc all being compared but J. Cole hasn't been placed next to anyone since he dropped 2014.

Is he quietly becoming the crown jewel of this new generation?

Nope

This poster considers migos talented but Tech nine wack don't take his opion seriously. He's so stupid he can't even change his avatar.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J. Cole is a better lyricist than Kendrick Lamar. His word play, rhyme schemes, even narratives are better. Doesn't change the fact that Kendrick makes better choices with beat selection, song structure and themes.

Couldn't agree more. This is my exact opinion on Cole. Bar for bar, he's better than Kendrick. Song for song, not at all.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I enjoyed it but it's too short but he made the album he wanted and as a fan I can't be mad at that. He's in a good space where he can enjoy success and speak on things he wants. He's not chasing something, he created his own lane and he's excelling.

He isn't above reproach though. I'd like to hear him work with different producers and work with other artists to build a chemistry with. My ? ain't even got a female vocalist that he collabs with on the regular. And that would be great to add extra layers to his music.

His albums always leave me wanting more like something is missing. As good as FHD was even that album was short because the outro was like 15 mins.

I disagree i think shorter albums with more quality content are better than longer albums that fall off in parts. The issue with 4 Your Eyez Only is outside the core cole fanbase fans wanted ? like everybody dies going at the current industry and trends. He did the polar opposite making a concept album with no features which didn't catch on nor have replay value.

If cole made a short album that had a different focus the ? would have been ranked and critiqued better by the average rap fan. Adding 20 more minutes of concept album ? to 4YEO wouldn't have helped.
  • DarthRozay
    Options

You'd rather listen to Cole's struggle singing than actual singers?
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »

You'd rather listen to Cole's struggle singing than actual singers?

Nah I've always criticized Cole struggle singing.

I was talking more about featured rappers. If we're talking singers then yes he could definitely use some. There's a reason Change is one of the best songs on the album (even though he sings on that too)
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see alot of these guys Wale, drake, Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar etc all being compared but J. Cole hasn't been placed next to anyone since he dropped 2014.

Is he quietly becoming the crown jewel of this new generation?

Nope

This poster considers migos talented but Tech nine wack don't take his opion seriously. He's so stupid he can't even change his avatar.

I could of sworn this ? went on a rant last yr abt how he put me on ignore.....yet he some how finds the time to randomly quote me (sigh) i think geno really internet stalkin me
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Born sinner is Cole best lp imo. I don't think there's anything Kendrick can do that Cole can't other than the energy k.dot puts in his verses. Cole could've easily made tpab he could've made damn too.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    Born sinner is Cole best lp imo. I don't think there's anything Kendrick can do that Cole can't other than the energy k.dot puts in his verses. Cole could've easily made tpab he could've made damn too.

IT WOULD BE HARD FOR COLE TO DO AN ALBUM LIKE TPAB...
    SINCE HIS THING IS "SELF-PRODUCTION"...
    UNLESS HE CHOOSES TO HAVE LIVE MUSICIANS PRODUCE HIS ALBUM...
    HE'S GONNA HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY AND RECORD MAD INSTRUMENTS...
    ONE OF THE BEST ASPECTS OF TPAB (OUTSIDE OF ITS MESSAGE) IS THE LIVE PRODUCTION...

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I disagree i think shorter albums with more quality content are better than longer albums that fall off in parts. The issue with 4 Your Eyez Only is outside the core cole fanbase fans wanted ? like everybody dies going at the current industry and trends. He did the polar opposite making a concept album with no features which didn't catch on nor have replay value.

If cole made a short album that had a different focus the ? would have been ranked and critiqued better by the average rap fan. Adding 20 more minutes of concept album ? to 4YEO wouldn't have helped.

I think so because he could've expounded on that journey a lot more.

We don't know the character Cole was portraying so he could've went in any direction he wanted to go.
    I think he cut it short with songs like She's Mine part 1 and 2. They help move the story along but that's about it. They really don't help the overall story that much.

Immortal, Change, Neighbors, 4 Your Eyez Only are all great tracks. Probably as good as any Cole track, especially the title. ? is 9 minutes and it don't even feel like it. the potential was there it was just too short in my opinion. Two or three more songs and this is a great album.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.Cole is overrated
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Lamar and J.Cole are both below Drake in the food chain.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I disagree with everything in this post lol
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »

ONE OF THE BEST ASPECTS OF TPAB (OUTSIDE OF ITS MESSAGE) IS THE LIVE PRODUCTION...

So if i understand you right, if Cole was to work with outside producers you agree the goal would be reached ?? Cause all k.dot is doing different is picking different beats.
    TheGOAT wrote: »

What's there to disagree with ?? What has k.dot done that Cole can't do ?
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So if i understand you right, if Cole was to work with outside producers you agree the goal would be reached ?? Cause all k.dot is doing different is picking different beats.
    TheGOAT wrote: »

What's there to disagree with ?? What has k.dot done that Cole can't do ?

Make 3 damn good albums. 4 if you include Section 80. I like Cole, to an extent, but his best works are still mixtapes.

He could've capitalized on the buzz surrounding himself after releasing the first two singles and instead pulls a 180 and drops a "meh" album.

Cole doesn't have a definitively "great" album.
  • DarthRozay
    Options

Cole has had musicians play on his albums I believe, producing isn't the same as playing all the instruments
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    it's funny how badly cole wanted that jay feature on his first album, but in the 6 years since then I don't think they've ever been on the same track together
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But he didn't make tpab or damn and hasnt....coles music ages super fast and doesn't have much replay value past a few weeks