Afro-Feminist Festival Organizers Call Out Paris Mayor For Accusing Them Of Racism

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
A black feminist festival slated to begin on July 28 in Paris has already been subject to scrutiny and an attempt to be cancelled by the city’s mayor.

The Nyansapo Festival ― organized by the Mwasi Collective, an Afro-feminist group ― aims to be a safe space for black feminists to curate sociopolitical strategies to overcome marginalization and oppression. But the event ruffled feathers, with far-right and anti-racism organizations calling foul after it came out that most of the event’s activities would occur in racially exclusive spaces.

According to the event’s website, 80 percent of the activities at the festival will be reserved for black women; another will be dedicated to all black people, while a third component will be for all women of color. The last segment will be “open to all” races and genders.

TeleSur reports the outcry began when organizations such as the far-right National Front Party and anti-racism groups like The International League Against Racism and Anti-Semitism (LICRA) discovered the festival’s intention to only reserve one of its activities for all races. On Friday, LICRA tweeted that “Rosa Parks would be turning in her grave,” if she knew of the Nyansapo organizers’ decision to give black women a safe space to share in their experiences with marginalization.

Needless to say, when Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo learned that white people would only be encouraged to attend a small percentage of the event’s activities, she attempted to halt the festival by calling police officials.

A translated tweet from the mayor on Sunday revealed she took issue with the festival being “forbidden to whites” and that she would even consider prosecuting the event organizers for discrimination.
the rest at
https://www.yahoo.com/news/afro-feminist-festival-organizers-call-204514524.html

Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    safe spaces are stupid in my opinion.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean roles reversed ? would say its racist if it was some white feminist ? so it is what it is
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, you want to have a event that caters to black women, that's fine. But putting it in a "racially sensitive safe space" is ? .
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Feminism has been taken over by idiots. Hopefully they shut down that ?
  • fortyacres
    Options

you act like is one monolith organisation.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

you act like is one monolith organisation.

I mean the loudest are the dumbest. Feminism, religion, politics.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, you want to have a event that caters to black women, that's fine. But putting it in a "racially sensitive safe space" is ? .

A lot of non blk feminist especially white women can be abrasive or are quick to offend when matters of race enter into the discussion

I can see them wanting to provide a space where like minded blk women can come together and vent freely for a short time without feeling attacked or like they have to sensor themselves ...its rare we are given these spaces

Not sure why the idea is so ?

• fortyacres
    Options

A lot of non blk feminist especially white women can be abrasive or are quick to offend when matters of race enter into the discussion

I can see them wanting to provide a space where like minded blk women can come together and vent freely for a short time without feeling attacked or like they have to sensor themselves ...its rare we are given these spaces

So you dont want to challenge thinking or be challenged ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited May 2017
    Options

Because they could have just promoted it as an event for black women. You already have Black Girls Rock and various Black Women Weekend events all over the place, so it's not like the safe space rhetoric is even necessary. Would some non-black women show up? Possibly, but unless you want to be like the ? and just be absolutely against any other races being involved, that's something you just deal with.

Of course they don't. Most feminists lie way too much to ever want to be challenged.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

I do

Thats a part of the reason why i continue post here

And being a feminist today when feminism to a lot of ppl is a bad word and being open about your views you are putting yourself out there to be challenged

That said, as for the event its only for a day if im not mistaken then other races are welcomed into the discussion

Don't see why its so wrong

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

Because they could have just promoted it as an event for black women. You already have Black Girls Rock and various Black Women Weekend events all over the place, so it's not like the safe space rhetoric is even necessary. Would some non-black women show up? Possibly, but unless you want to be like the ? and just be absolutely against any other races being involved, that's something you just deal with.

Of course they don't. Most feminists lie way too much to ever want to be challenged.

Seems like they do want to welcome in other races into the discussions at a later time

And celebrations like blk girls rock aren't necessarily the appropriate time to discuss misogyny and reproductive rights lol

Not to mention for my sisters in france, whose government has failed to truly deal with its multiculturalism over the years, may not have these spaces at all
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Seems like they do want to welcome in other races into the discussions at a later time

And celebrations like blk girls rock aren't necessarily the appropriate time to discuss misogyny and reproductive rights lol

Not to mention for my sisters in france, whose government has failed to truly deal with its multiculturalism over the years, may not have these spaces at all

Bad example, but you know what I mean. lol Do you really think if they just announced a black feminism conference that it would be overrun by nonblacks? I don't think the backlash here comes from them saying the conference for black feminists. I think it's more from them going out of their way to tell everyone else they aren't welcome. It's sort of like when you have an exclusive party. If you throw it and just invite the people you want, there might be some hurt feelings for those that didn't get the invite, but they'd get over it. If you throw the party and then go out of your way to make sure that the people who weren't invited know specifically that they weren't invited, there might be a little more animosity.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If there's one element of the modern Left that I don't wanna see anywhere near Black activist culture, it's this touchy-feely hugbox "SAFE SPACE" ? .

It makes us look weak, encourages philosophical stagnation & groupthink, and provides The Devil with an excuse to exploit.

I generally try to support women's rights in a world of Female Genital Mutilation but these smartdumb feminists stay burning bridges over petty ?

Law 18: Do Not Build Fortresses To Protect Yourself Isolation Is Dangerous

The world is dangerous and enemies are everywhere — everyone has to protect themselves. A fortress seems the safest. But isolation exposes you to more dangers than it protects you from — it cuts you off from valuable information, it makes you conspicuous and an easy target.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    edited May 2017
    Options

Bad example, but you know what I mean. lol Do you really think if they just announced a black feminism conference that it would be overrun by nonblacks? I don't think the backlash here comes from them saying the conference for black feminists. I think it's more from them going out of their way to tell everyone else they aren't welcome. It's sort of like when you have an exclusive party. If you throw it and just invite the people you want, there might be some hurt feelings for those that didn't get the invite, but they'd get over it. If you throw the party and then go out of your way to make sure that the people who weren't invited know specifically that they weren't invited, there might be a little more animosity.

if they just marketed it as an event for blk feminist i don't think it would be overrun by non blacks, but the organizers would have still been criticized for excluding other women....and I don't feel like excluding entire groups of women from the event was the ultimate goal

it may have garnered some animosity, but if they have bad experiences in the past, and wanted to emphasis to potential event goers that action was being taken to ensure they could come speak their truth without having to censor themselves or feel uncomfortable I can't knock that
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    I mean roles reversed ? would say its racist if it was some white feminist ? so it is what it is

Given all the other ? that is unfair or imbalanced in terms of race I'm sure 90% of black people would gladly accept that role reversal and the repercussions that come with it such as the people that you spent the past however many c centuries exploiting, subjugating and oppressing wanting to have 5 minutes away from you to talk about some ? .
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always dissapointing when a thread is about women- in this case a group of potentially sexy African women....

AND THERE ARE NO PICS OF SAID WOMEN...

I ain't googling ? .

But enfin, carry on.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm just going to need for men to stop comparing themselves to women.

Not a good look gentleman.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I'm just going to need for men to stop comparing themselves to women.

Not a good look gentleman.

if men and women are supposed to be equals, why not compare them?
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    If there's one element of the modern Left that I don't wanna see anywhere near Black activist culture, it's this touchy-feely hugbox "SAFE SPACE" ? .

It makes us look weak, encourages philosophical stagnation & groupthink, and provides The Devil with an excuse to exploit.

I generally try to support women's rights in a world of Female Genital Mutilation but these smartdumb feminists stay burning bridges over petty ?

Law 18: Do Not Build Fortresses To Protect Yourself Isolation Is Dangerous

The world is dangerous and enemies are everywhere — everyone has to protect themselves. A fortress seems the safest. But isolation exposes you to more dangers than it protects you from — it cuts you off from valuable information, it makes you conspicuous and an easy target.

but you have no problem with male genital mutilation, right?
  • konceptjones
    Options
    "Safe space" has to be the most idiotic ? ever. The world does not owe it to you to be coddled. The world does not owe you a "safe space". You want a safe space? Make one for yourself if you have the will and strength to do it, otherwise deal with the world the way the rest of us have to.

Just another example of millenial entitlement at work.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    "Safe space" has to be the most idiotic ? ever. The world does not owe it to you to be coddled. The world does not owe you a "safe space". You want a safe space? Make one for yourself if you have the will and strength to do it, otherwise deal with the world the way the rest of us have to.

who said anything able the world owing them anything

the ladies in question created what they deem will be a safe space for like minded individuals to exchange ideas, ppl are now mad

and safe spaces been around for a very long time now...the concept has just now been given a name

I'd argue churches, temples, club houses, colleges etc are "safe spaces"....or at least were safe spaces at one point in time
  • konceptjones
    edited May 2017
    Options

the ladies in question created what they deem will be a safe space for like minded individuals to exchange ideas, ppl are now mad

and safe spaces been around for a very long time now...the concept has just now been given a name

I'd argue churches, temples, club houses, colleges etc are "safe spaces"....or at least were safe spaces at one point in time

It's exclusionary. These are the same type of women that fought to have The Boy's Club changed to The Boys and Girls Club. The same type of chicks that sued as many "Men's Only" organizations they could find to force them to admit women but the very same that would go into a meltdown if a man tried to join a Curves.

No, churches, temples and the like were not "safe spaces". If the idea is to have a place for like-minded individuals, then exclude people who just may be like-minded but of a different race, then what's really being accomplished here? It's still exclusion. Basically what they want is a place to cackle and agree with one another, but being in the midst of people who all agree on the same thing accomplishes absolutely nothing. There must be debate, there must be a different opinion or viewpoint in order to further any cause because unless you're willing to look at an issue from a different angle you will miss information critical to your success and you will fail at everything you try to do.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

It's exclusionary. These are the same type of women that fought to have The Boy's Club changed to The Boys and Girls Club. The same type of chicks that sued as many "Men's Only" organizations they could find to force them to admit women but the very same that would go into a meltdown if a man tried to join a Curves.

No, churches, temples and the like were not "safe spaces". If the idea is to have a place for like-minded individuals, then exclude people who just may be like-minded but of a different race, then what's really being accomplished here? It's still exclusion. Basically what they want is a place to cackle and agree with one another, but being in the midst of people who all agree on the same thing accomplishes absolutely nothing. There must be debate, there must be a different opinion or viewpoint in order to further any cause because unless you're willing to look at an issue from a different angle you will miss information critical to your success and you will fail at everything you try to do.

you don't know enough about these women so let's not presume them to be hypocrites

a safe place is intended to be a place for like minded, marginalized ppl free of bias, conflict, criticism, or potentially threatening actions, ideas, or conversations

for ex during times when christianity was outlawed and or discouraged make shift churches were a safe space

of course we should welcome dissenting view points and ideas, group think is dangerous

but its also equally important marginalized ppl have a time and space where they can gather vent and exchange ideas in comfort, otherwise it hurts morale and helps to perpetuate their marginalization
  • konceptjones
    edited May 2017
    Options

you don't know enough about these women so let's not presume them to be hypocrites

a safe place is intended to be a place for like minded, marginalized ppl free of bias, conflict, criticism, or potentially threatening actions, ideas, or conversations

for ex during times when christianity was outlawed and or discouraged make shift churches were a safe space

of course we should welcome dissenting view points and ideas, group think is dangerous

but its also equally important marginalized ppl have a time and space where they can gather vent and exchange ideas in comfort, otherwise it hurts morale and helps to perpetuate their marginalization

Let me show you something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHhMabjWwg

This is the "Hollywood" version of a real incident with Malcolm X. The way it went was that a woman from the south had heard some of his speeches and was so moved by it she sought him out. She arrived in Harlem and found Malcolm at a cafe he was known to frequent and spoke to him. He did dismiss her in a similar fashion as portrayed in the movie however instead of just standing there befuddled she actually ran off in tears.

It was a moment Malcolm regretted for the rest of his life.

After his pilgrimage to Mecca he was awakened in the sense that the color of one's skin doesn't dictate their propensity for good or evil. If one was genuine in their wish to help his cause, and their actions spoke to that, the were to be accepted with open arms. He later expressed in his autobiography "I regret that I told her she could do 'nothing.' I wish now that I knew her name, or where I could telephone her, and tell her what I tell white people now when they present themselves as being sincere, and ask me, one way or another, the same thing that she asked.". In the epilogue of his autobiography a statement he made to LIFE photographer Gordon Parks was retold about the impact the encounter with the white girl made on him "“Well, I’ve lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. . . . I guess a man’s entitled to make a fool of himself if he’s ready to pay the cost. It cost me twelve years.”

Hindsight allowed Brother Malcolm to see his error: Everyone can have a part to play in any movement. To intentionally exclude those from your movement because they don't look like you, or because they come from the ranks of those you see as the opposition does not serve the movement at all.

Saying you want a "safe space" with only Black women that shares the same ideology creates a perceived hostility towards anyone NOT a Black woman that may genuinely wish to help the cause. By saying that it's done to avoid "threatening actions" or "conflict" puts men who genuinely wish to help on the defense. Things like this are what Malcolm X learned after the incident with the white woman. The things that the organizers of this festival are trying to do is completely inconsistent with the goals of feminism: You cannot claim to fight for equality if you cannot treat everyone the same.
  • godoffun
    godoffun Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    White folk donk want blacks to have NOTHING!
    You like smoking weed? Go to jail
    You like ? raw? Heres some A.I.D.S.
    You like chilling outside? Call the popo
    You want to be by yourselves? Not in Paris ? !!