As Chicago’s Black Population Plunges, Whites Flock To Near Downtown

Comments

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I am not even going to read. White folks are liars and particularly those who are in pursuit of new business opportunities. I believe with all my might that White folks have been and will always be behind the violence in our neighborhoods. With the objective being to devalue Black Neighborhoods to drive down property values which discouraging us from buying in these neighborhoods and keep Blacks constantly moving while Whites walk in and setup stable neighborhoods backed by city and state.

They will keep selling us a narrative to hate ourselves and each other. Instead of encouraging Blacks to own these neighborhoods they encourage us to get out only to go some where else and rent.

People will say to take off your tinfoil hat but you basically described the real intent of gentrification. Word to Furious Styles.

its the truth in every black hood this happens. No one helps no outside resources for them... borded up house bad projects... gov will buy out the hood folk with section 8 vouchers allowing them affordable housing else where thenall of a sudden condos are built and resources brought in for them... from Harlem to Atl to Chicago its the same thing

? is happening in MD too. Suddenly the worse neighborhoods are looking luxurious. Johns Hopkins bought up a lot of property to build condos for their employees and students. A few miles down you see beat up old homes and projects though.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not even going to read. White folks are liars and particularly those who are in pursuit of new business opportunities. I believe with all my might that White folks have been and will always be behind the violence in our neighborhoods. With the objective being to devalue Black Neighborhoods to drive down property values which discouraging us from buying in these neighborhoods and keep Blacks constantly moving while Whites walk in and setup stable neighborhoods backed by city and state.

They will keep selling us a narrative to hate ourselves and each other. Instead of encouraging Blacks to own these neighborhoods they encourage us to get out only to go some where else and rent.

ummm bruh
    who does this?

are you saying white people should encourage black people?

even tho you just said they liars?

these white people will allow us to ? each other.

case and point...

the train load of guns left in a Chicago train yard. remember that?

was those stolen guns used to ? blacks or was they used to suppress white people an protect our community?

mindframe
    outlook

we are not under mind control. these are choices
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Maywood wrote: »
    IDK bruh I mean ,the violence Is what angers me more from my people "gangbangers" more than anything.That Gentrification ? Is phony outrage IMO..That ? seems to me like it will never change..You said you love your area, That's how everyone Is Supposed to feel about their neighborhood...Alot of people unfortunately ,don't know what it feels like to sleep w/the balcony door open w/no threat of violence, I mean I'm not saying ? just to say but living on Independence & Flournoy or Laramie & Lake will definitely have you say yeah let's Shake this ? up a bit...lol but I respect ya opinion yty7u42ldik9.gif@J-GUTTA

cosign

some people don't understand that ? ain't normal.
    we are better than that.

• 2stepz_ahead
    They can have that Overrated ? ...I'll continue to put my feet up In these Quiet Suburbs

why give up an walk away?

we dont fight no more?

where you think those relocating are coming to?

where you think that crime is coming to?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    pachá12 wrote: »
    I see what you're saying. At the same time I believe there to be a lack of accountability. Speaking for my city, there are efforts being made to improve. There are resources to rehabilitate the community. Instead of gentrifying, they tore down high crime projects and built mixed income apartments and homes. Drugs are a part of the equation, trying to place blame somewhere else is unnecessary because finding excuses and pointing fingers slows progress. Plus, with all due respect, fact or no, I don't know one black person that would consider themselves anybodys doormat. What the black community needs is the mindset of wanting to do better and to succeed, helping and looking out for each other. There is a nice walking bridge here that i can't even take my kids to because three ? got shot a couple days ago, the bad seeds are stopping the progress.

this is all I been saying....

but I'm crazy for wishful uptopian thinking
  • 2stepz_ahead
    I see most of the gentrification happening in areas that was already either diverse from what I can tell like some parts of up north like Rodgers Park or places like wicker park, Pilsen/UIC area. Some parts near UC. Is it bad this is happening ? Yes. Not a coincidence that once section 8 vouchers started to work for suburban towns, people packed up and left

just a coupy years ago I went to see my mom in North philly.

SAw a white lady....? scared me.

I asked her was she lost...she said she owned a house on that block.

that block been dark black Vietnam times... now white folks moved in ...changed to name a ? still shooting each other but complain about being pushed out.

can't be both ways
  • 2stepz_ahead
    y'all gotta stop with this no outside resource ? .

there are resources coming in....just to to the levels as others.

because they working together to buy ? up.

we can't even try to motivate a ? without them side eyeing thinking it's a scam.

we need all the help we can get an stop ? on those that do help.

? ? on jayz for helping build the Barclay's. but did ? take the chance to open a business or parking lot?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited June 2017
    speaking of parking lot...

are y'all looking to buy these vacant lots in these poor areas an maybe provide secured parking?
    hippies like to feel safe and have ? convenient.

get some of these
    parking_3.jpg

just a thought

stay ahead of the curve
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, while Black communities have been decimated by drug use which led to a war on Black men, women and their families.

The state of Ohio is suing the big Pharma's for the opioid epidemic that's plaguing the white community.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/31/530929307/ohio-sues-5-major-drug-companies-for-fueling-opioid-epidemic
  • 2stepz_ahead
    So, while Black communities have been decimated by drug use which led to a war on Black men, women and their families.

The state of Ohio is suing the big Pharma's for the opioid epidemic that's plaguing the white community.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/31/530929307/ohio-sues-5-major-drug-companies-for-fueling-opioid-epidemic

this is an excuse.

big pharma creates the drug...they dont hand them out. you need prescriptions and licenses to give that ? out.

which still goes back to white folk.

they are just relabeling ? to not look soo low.

they are blaming others so they wont look like the people they have been ? on.

to admit to being just like black people....will make them..

well

just like black people

a crackhead is a crackhead thats a crackhead.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »

People will say to take off your tinfoil hat but you basically described the real intent of gentrification. Word to Furious Styles.

its the truth in every black hood this happens. No one helps no outside resources for them... borded up house bad projects... gov will buy out the hood folk with section 8 vouchers allowing them affordable housing else where thenall of a sudden condos are built and resources brought in for them... from Harlem to Atl to Chicago its the same thing

If it's in the interest of a certain group of people then boom, you got it.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's probably discrimination in that developers are probably quicker to invest in an area when white professionals start moving in. (Usually it starts with a few daring professionals, then developers and others follower, followed by more -- less daring -- professionals.)

But are black professionals moving into these area like that? I could be wrong, but my impression is no.

Hence why I said the question should be: why do so few black people gentrify?
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bouz N Da Hood spoke about gentrification in the early 90's. Folks just didn't pay attention to the message.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    There's probably discrimination in that developers are probably quicker to invest in an area when white professionals start moving in. (Usually it starts with a few daring professionals, then developers and others follower, followed by more -- less daring -- professionals.)

But are black professionals moving into these area like that? I could be wrong, but my impression is no.

My belief is because, white folks ice is colder. Many Blacks believe the American dream is to live in a ready made suburb with white neighbors who accept them as equals. I think the belief is this will lead to networking opportunities for them and their families in the future. I think the end game is integration as a means to climb the socio-economic ladder.

Whereas as you put it "daring professionals" are willing to build their communities from the ground up into something they can truly call their own. In addition to the perk that comes with buying dirt cheap an selling at a + 50% markup.
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same ? they're doing in damn near every major city like someone else said. I went for a ride downtown last night and I ain't even recognize it. In all my years I've NEVER seen so many white folk moving comfortably around inner Detroit. I'm talkin bicycle riding, little ugly ass dog-walking white folk.

But I remember times where I would literally have arguments with these same kinda people over their negative comments about Detroit. Now it's the place they wanna be
  • 2stepz_ahead

My belief is because, white folks ice is colder. Many Blacks believe the American dream is to live in a ready made suburb with white neighbors who accept them as equals. I think the belief is this will lead to networking opportunities for them and their families in the future. I think the end game is integration as a means to climb the socio-economic ladder.

Whereas as you put it "daring professionals" are willing to build their communities from the ground up into something they can truly call their own. In addition to the perk that comes with buying dirt cheap an selling at a + 50% markup.

why is it with you...either better off black people or white people?

its never the low life ? .

why is that?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to live downtown Chicago. ? was expensive as hell.

Can't imagine how much more it'll cost being "gentrified".

Side note, was already a lot of them over there before anyway.
  • king hassan

You just spoke a mouthful, I have a article on why blacks don't gentrify, let me find it right quick
  • king hassan
    7figz wrote: »
    Used to live downtown Chicago. ? was expensive as hell.

Can't imagine how much more it'll cost being "gentrified".

Side note, was already a lot of them over there before anyway.

I remember when downtown looked like "s**t* before they re did it. But I bought my crib in South Shore for a good price, those houses getting snatched up like crazy. And it's a lot of Dr's live over there too, especially in the Highlands. Since Obama getting that library built and Tiger Woods redoing the golf course the real estate is sky rocketing
  • king hassan

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/why-dont-black-chicago-neighborhoods-gentrify/ff0341a4-1ff2-4370-b4dd-e25dc84c5e5e

If you don't want to click the link it's on a WBEZ91.5Chicago website
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    They can have that Overrated ? ...I'll continue to put my feet up In these Quiet Suburbs

why give up an walk away?

we dont fight no more?

where you think those relocating are coming to?

where you think that crime is coming to?

IDK bruh I'm just picky to begin with ? I'm in the process of moving as we type...Location Is everything & I can't compromise that...I don't care who my neighbors are ..just don't be making all that noise
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is happening in every metropolis.

And I have no idea why more blacks don't gentrify. There's probably several answers. Even 5th ward is headed toward gentrification. Supposedely the crime there in "the hood" is lower than certain parts of the burbs like Alief Houston.

I swear i was wondering the same thing few days ago. Hit up midtown Houston and you see nothin but whites and hipsters around all them old wards now except for 2nd ward were the mexicans at. I'm thinking where all my savy black folk at? Me personaly I'm trying to get in on this ? before it get too expensive if I'm fortunate enough I'm bout to cop a loft out there that this will probably go up at least 25 percent in two years. Homes in the burbs take at least 6 years to go up that much.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the main reason more blacks don't gentrify is because the average ? just don't have the resources handy. Stuff don't be lasting that long on the market as it is and you got plenty folk out here dropping CODs on property with 150 - 300k price tag. ? can't ? with that. So naturally not only do you got a higher ratio of whites making offers as opossed to us on the same properties, but you also have more white owners....so even in a situation where there's 6 people making an offer on the same property and 4 out of the 6 is black and the other 2 is white plus the seller is white who you think the seller is going to go with? On top of that you have the rare black owner/seller who most likely will rather sell to the white buyer in the same scenario even when if there's more black qualified offers on the table. Thats my theory on why more blacks don't gentrify.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    I think one of the main reason more blacks don't gentrify is because the average ? just don't have the resources handy. Stuff don't be lasting that long on the market as it is and you got plenty folk out here dropping CODs on property with 150 - 300k price tag. ? can't ? with that. So naturally not only do you got a higher ratio of whites making offers as opossed to us on the same properties, but you also have more white owners....so even in a situation where there's 6 people making an offer on the same property and 4 out of the 6 is black and the other 2 is white plus the seller is white who you think the seller is going to go with? On top of that you have the rare black owner/seller who most likely will rather sell to the white buyer in the same scenario even when if there's more black qualified offers on the table. Thats my theory on why more blacks don't gentrify.

Bingo and you have organizations like business and hospitals who have billions buying up property.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited June 2017
    so we gonna act like ? wasnt on this very site giving yall info about how to get houses?

so ? cant get together and form a company, pool resources and buy the very housing yall say yall live around at dirt cheap prices?

so ? dont know about sheriff sales, HUD, get their credit together, buying and flipping or buying and fixing up...none other that?

white people just come taking ? huh?

did ? just not see my ? @Cinco in the business thread?

how many ? yall reach out to for help with this?

i swear.....yall dont get it.

i know alot of black people buying up houses in poor areas....but they holding understanding that they can sell higher than dumping it now.

my homie bought a ? house around a university.....fixed that ? up and rented it for a few years and has interested buyers willing to pay him $300k for it.
    yall mad frustrating....but be the first to call a ? out on some fukk ?

if yall want to say fukk 2stepz ...he full of ? . say it.

but then prove me fukking wrong. there are plenty of ways to get money and roll along with the development vs running away from it. stop allowing these people to have so much power over you.
    govt, racism, corrupt police...yadda yadda.

i get that. what the fukk does that have to do with you buying that rathole around the corner and slowly fixing that ? up? home depot got books on how to fix ? .\

so many ways

so many

all i hear is crying from ? who will throw a fade over a post but wont pick up a fukking hammer

you dont always need $100k

you just need patience and a plan.

fukkkkkkk.

complain while you building
    *kicks over soapbox, shoves closest ? and walks out quiet room*