Trial For The Murderous Pig Who Executed Philando Castile Begins Today…

Options
1234568»

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/philando-castile-family-3-million-settlement
    Philando Castile Family Reaches $3M Settlement In Death

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist killed by a Minnesota police officer last year, has reached a nearly $3 million settlement in his death, according to an announcement Monday by her attorneys and the Minneapolis suburb that employed the officer.

The settlement to be paid to Valerie Castile will avoid a federal wrongful death lawsuit stemming from Philando Castile’s death. The 32-year-old elementary school cafeteria worker was killed by St. Anthony officer Jeronimo Yanez during a traffic stop July 6 after Castile told the officer he was armed. Castile had a permit for his gun.

The shooting gained widespread attention after Castile’s girlfriend, who was in the car with her then-4-year-old daughter, livestreamed its gruesome aftermath on Facebook.

Yanez, who is Latino, was acquitted of manslaughter and other charges earlier this month. The jury’s decision prompted days of protests, including one in St. Paul that shut down Interstate 94 for hours and ended with 18 arrests.

The $2.995 million settlement will be paid by the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust, which holds the insurance policy for the city of St. Anthony. It requires approval by a state court, which could take several weeks.

Robert Bennett, an attorney for Valerie Castile, said the idea behind the settlement was to move expeditiously rather than have the case drawn out in federal court, a process that would “exacerbate and reopen terrible wounds.” The settlement will also allow the family, the city and community to work toward healing, Bennett said.

Bennett said it also will allow Valerie Castile to do the work she plans through the Philando Castile Relief Foundation. A Facebook page for the nonprofit foundation says it was established to help victims of gun violence and to provide relief for the grieving.

During his trial, Yanez, 29, testified that Castile ignored his commands not to pull out his gun. The officer said he feared for his life. According to squad-car video that captured the shooting, Castile said: “I’m not pulling it out” before Yanez fired seven rapid shots. Castile’s last words after the shooting were “I wasn’t reaching …”

Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, later said Castile was reaching for his wallet.

The squad-car video shows the shooting, but does not show what happened inside the car or what Yanez saw, leaving room for reasonable doubt.

After Yanez’s acquittal, the city of St. Anthony said it was offering Yanez a “voluntary separation agreement” from the police department, and he would no longer be an on-duty officer. The department serves the cities of St. Anthony, Lauderdale and Falcon Heights, where the shooting occurred.

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wish one family..
    just one would take that ? to trial.. ? a settlement..

they threw her ass that "shut the ? up" money quick..
    her son loved Minnesota so much bankrupt them muthafuckas..
  • rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wish one family..

her son

THEY DID TAKE IT TO TRIAL AND LOST. MOST FAMILIES TAKE TO TRIAL AND LOST, WHERE U FROM BRO
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No they didnt take it trial.. that was a criminal trial not a civil
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder how much of that 3 mill will the mother give to Diamond?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    i wish one family..

Civil and criminal...two different types of cases and 2 very different levels of proof that need to occur
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    i wish one family..

Civil and criminal...two different types of cases and 2 very different levels of proof that need to occur

? i know that..
    u dont need as much proof in the civil..

and jus cause u got off criminal doesnt mean ur gonna walk civil.. word to OJ..

they do this ? everytime.. ? a muthafucka and thrownsome chump change at the victims family.. that ? aint hurtin they pockets.. AND its tax payers money..

i wanna city a ? city get hit wit 20.. 40.. 50 mil and go broke...

OR.. the city say "? u yo black life aint worth ? !" so these ? can see where they really stand..
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i wish one family..

? i know that..

they do this ? everytime.. ? a muthafucka and thrownsome chump change at the victims family.. that ? aint hurtin they pockets.. AND its tax payers money..

OR.. the city say "? u yo black life aint worth ? !" so these ? can see where they really stand..

You're right in theory but i doubt families have the heart to sit up there and fight and rehash the tragedy only to have the racist other side undermine the victim and his/her value etc.. too much drama, the settlement is just closure so they can move on
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Where's NRA? oh, ok, i see
    have said this before, but here's the quick version:
    a. it's shameful they didn't comment on this officially, though of course...
    b. we have seen spokespeople (i'm looking at you, Colion Noir), comment on this. anyway,
    c. this is really about them being pro-police, not anti-black. hence the silence instead of support for Yanez.

lot of gun dudes seem very split on this, however. and Yanez is a disgrace.
  • janklow
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    And it's been time to tool up. That's should've happened as soon as the election was called for that Sherbet-colored cac muhfucka.
    would help for people to stop voting for politicians that want to see you disarmed, of course

• janklow
    Options
    let me also add this...
    Professor: St. Anthony police chief dismissed plea to improve traffic stop training
    About three years ago when Joe Olson blew through a stoplight in Lauderdale, he expected what would be a routine traffic stop when he got pulled over by a St. Anthony police officer. He put his hands on the wheel, then prepared to turn his head to the left and smile.

Instead, the stop was so troubling that he later went to the then-St. Anthony police chief to tell him he may have a serious problem with how the department conducts traffic stops. But the chief, Olson said, dismissed his concern.

“I told him that if you don’t fix this, you’re going to have an even bigger problem,” Olson said. “And that’s apparently what happened.”

Olson, whose story was first reported by the Washington, D.C.-based blog ThinkProgress, is no stranger to law enforcement or firearms. A retired Hamline law professor, he’s also a gun rights lobbyist who helped write Minnesota’s permit-to-carry law. He also regularly taught classes on firearms safety that included instructions on what to do when someone carrying with a permit is pulled over.

Olson said on that day three years ago, he expected the St. Anthony officer to stand just behind the driver’s side door at the traffic stop, which is generally standard practice. Instead, the officer stood about 3 feet behind his SUV and conducted the interview through Olson’s driver’s-side mirror.

“His voice had the tremor of fear,” Olson said. “He couldn’t see my hands. He couldn’t see if anyone was in the car. I thought: This is dangerous for both of us.”

Eventually the officer asked Olson for his license and registration, but he couldn’t see Olson while he was digging in the glove box.

“I realized I could have had a grenade on the seat and he’d have no idea,” Olson said.

He eventually got a ticket, but Olson said he was troubled enough that about two years ago he went to talk with John Ohl, who was then St. Anthony’s police chief. He wanted Ohl to provide better training for his officers during traffic stops. Instead, he said Ohl praised the officer.

“I realized he wasn’t listening,” he said.

Ohl could not be reached for comment

Olson doesn’t remember the name of the officer, but says it was neither Jeronimo Yanez or Joe Kauser, the two involved in the Philando Castile shooting Wednesday night.

He said he called the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigators Thursday morning to describe what happened to him with the St. Anthony department, but wasn’t put in contact with anyone.

“I insisted they take my name and number,” he said. “I really don’t expect them to call back.”
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    i wish one family..

? i know that..

You're right in theory but i doubt families have the heart to sit up there and fight and rehash the tragedy only to have the racist other side undermine the victim and his/her value etc.. too much drama, the settlement is just closure so they can move on

As a family and individuals most never really move on though.

I'm not saying going through all of that over again wouldn't be extremely hard to deal with but at some point folks gonna have to see the fight all the way through.

These people taking settlement money with stipulations about what they can and can't say about their murdered relative.

Ain't no amount of money they should be willing to take to be silent about the police murdering their family.

I could never tell someone an amount of money that I'm willing to accept for killing my folks. I could never see myself saying "yeah thats enough money" regarding what was offered to me for a settlement.

• stringer bell
    edited July 2017
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/city-of-st-anthony-officer-jeronimo-yanez-part-ways/433691813/
    City of St. Anthony, officer Jeronimo Yanez part ways

City officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

By Chao Xiong Star TribuneJuly 10, 2017 — 4:55pm

The city of St. Anthony has entered a separation agreement with officer Jeronimo Yanez, who was acquitted last month in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile.

"In order to serve the public interest and quickly assure the public that Officer Yanez will not continue as a St. Anthony police officer, the City has entered into a separation agreement that ends all employment rights of Officer Yanez at the City," said a statement posted on the city's website at 4:29 p.m. "Since Officer Yanez was not convicted of a crime, as a public employee, he would have appeal and grievance rights if terminated."

"A reasonable voluntary separation agreement brings to a close one part of this horrible tragedy. The City concluded this was the most thoughtful way to move forward and help the communitywide healing process proceed."

The city's statement did not include further detail about what the separation agreement entailed, or, whether it was finalized or still in progress.

The city had issued a statement following Yanez's acquittal on June 16 stating its intention to offer him a "voluntary separation agreement to help him transition to another career …" The city's attorney said in late-June that terms of the separation agreement could not be made public at that time because it had not been finalized.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/minnesota-officer-who-fatally-shot-castile-takes-buyout-leaves-department
    Minnesota officer who fatally shot Castile takes buyout, leaves department

Associated Press
    The Minnesota police officer who was acquitted in last year's fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile has left the suburban police department where he served under a separation agreement.

The Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony announced Monday that Jeronimo Yanez is no longer with the police department. The terms were not released, and neither the city nor Yanez's attorney immediately responded to messages.

Castile, a 32-year-old elementary school cafeteria worker, was shot by Yanez during a traffic stop on July 6, 2016, after Castile told the officer he was armed. Castile had a permit for his gun. The shooting gained widespread attention after Castile's girlfriend, who was in the car along with her then-4-year-old daughter, livestreamed its gruesome aftermath on Facebook.

Yanez, who is Latino, was acquitted of manslaughter and other charges in June. On the day of the verdict, the city announced the "public will be best served" if Yanez were no longer an officer. The city said it was offering Yanez a buyout and negotiations were ongoing. He was not returned to active duty.

Yanez had been with the St. Anthony Police Department since November 2011. His annual salary at the time of the shooting was more than $72,600, not including overtime pay, according to documents released by the city.

SMDH.. Only In Amerikkka.. A pig can ? a innocent black man and get check for it...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/10/philando-castile-yanez-accepts-voluntary-separation-agreement-with-city-of-st-anthony/
    Philando Castile case: Yanez takes cash to leave St. Anthony police force

The St. Anthony police officer who shot and killed Philando Castile last July during a traffic stop has agreed to leave his job with the city.

Jeronimo Yanez will receive $48,500 and any unused personal leave pay he is due from the city as part of a voluntary separation agreement he signed on Monday, according to documents provided by the city of St. Anthony.

St. Anthony officials announced they would offer Yanez such an agreement immediately after a Ramsey County jury found him not guilty of manslaughter in Castile’s death on June 16. The 2016 shooting prompted weeks of protests in the Twin Cities and elsewhere.

“The City concluded this was the most thoughtful way to move forward and help the community-wide healing process proceed,” St. Anthony officials said in a news release issued Monday afternoon. “Since Officer Yanez was not convicted of a crime, as a public employee, he would have appeal and grievance rights if terminated.”

Yanez waived these rights by signing the separation agreement, which “brings to a close one part of this horrible tragedy,” the statement reads.

The five-page agreement stipulates that Yanez’s decision to sign it does not constitute an admission of any wrongdoing on his part, but that he and St. Anthony “agree that the public will be best served if you are no longer a police officer in the City.”

The agreement prohibits Yanez from disclosing its terms to anyone except his immediate family, financial advisers and attorneys. It lists his official date of separation as June 30, 2017.

Yanez shot Castile, a 32-year-old black man, during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights on July 6, 2016. Yanez, who is Hispanic, was put on leave from the St. Anthony Police Department and later charged by Ramsey County prosecutors in Castile’s death — likely making him the first Minnesota officer in modern memory taken to trial for such an incident.

Yanez testified during the trial that Castile ignored his orders and was gripping his gun when the officer shot. Prosecutors, as well as Castile’s girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, said Castile was trying to get his wallet so he could hand over the driver’s license the officer had just requested when Yanez shot him.

Yanez, 29, was acquitted on manslaughter and other related charges last month after the three-week trial in St. Paul. St. Anthony announced after the acquittal, though, it would part ways with Yanez. He had been an officer in the city for about four years.

After the trial, St. Anthony reached a $3 million settlement with Castile’s mother, Valerie Castile, precluding a wrongful death lawsuit.