? -Off Artist Adds Statue of Urinating Dog Next to ‘Fearless Girl’

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
052917pissed_fearless_girl2gsb1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300

City sculptor Alex Gardega — seething over the “Fearless Girl” statue being placed across from Wall Street’s “Charging Bull” — has decided to retaliate with a work of his own.

Gardega created a statue of a small dog, titled “? Pug,” and his sloppily crafted pooch takes direct aim at “Fearless Girl” — or, at least, at her left leg.

“This is corporate nonsense,” Gardega told The Post of “Fearless Girl,” saying it was put opposite artist Arturo Di Modica’s famed bull as a publicity stunt by a Boston-based financial firm.

“It has nothing to do with feminism, and it is disrespect to the artist that made the bull,” he said. “That bull had integrity.”

The Upper West Side artist sniffed that he even made his dog particularly poorly just to stick it to “Fearless Girl” even more.

“I decided to build this dog and make it ? to downgrade the statue, exactly how the girl is a downgrade on the bull,” said Gardega, who has never met the other statues’ creators.

But many female passers-by Monday said “Fearless Girl” has come to represent women taking on Wall Street — and just about anybody else standing up to financial firms — and that Gardega’s peeing dog is misogynistic.

“That’s an a–hole move. You call this art?” said one woman, who kicked the dog statue as she walked by.

But Gardega insisted that he is “pro-feminism” and has “nothing against the sculptor whatsoever.”

Some people appreciated his artistic statement — once he explained it.

“I respect his opinion . . . and that’s really cool,” said tourist Pam Guadarrama, 24, visiting from California.

Bull sculptor Di Modica is no fan of “Fearless Girl,” either, having said that placing the statue of the child opposite his bull unfairly implicates his creation.

But he refused to comment on Gardega’s “? Pug.”

Di Modica is suing State Street Global Advisors, the mutual fund company that placed “Fearless Girl” opposite his work, for trademark and copyright infringement.

“Fearless Girl” was placed opposite Di Modica’s bull in March for International Women’s Day on a temporary permit — which Mayor Bill de Blasio then extended for 11 months after pressure from women’s groups to keep it around longer.

Its creator, Kristen Visbal, did not respond to requests for comment on “? Pug.”

http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/? -off-artist-adds-statue-of-urinating-dog-next-to-fearless-girl/

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm waiting for some brave activist to take a sledge hammer to that ? .

I got the over/under on three weeks (20.5 days). Any takers?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude just wants some attention
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the bull, dog and girl.

This ? is an attention ?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And the girl still stands there not giving a ? ...

it's the whole point...

so what he's doing helps...

but it is funny to think he went through the stages of sketching & sculpting because he was in his feelings about the message of a brave girl standing against something bigger
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Uhh brave girl nor the dog have any business being there.
    The spite people have towards the dog they should also have for the girl.
    Some ? came and ? up the original artists work with putting that damn girl in the piece..
    ? that entire situation.
    pretty much this. i am sure this guy is a fragile ? , but i think that bull should have been left alone

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    And the girl still stands there not giving a ? ...

it's the whole point...

so what he's doing helps...

but it is funny to think he went through the stages of sketching & sculpting because he was in his feelings about the message of a brave girl standing against something bigger

Nah - read about the source of that add-on statue i it's actually a commissioned corporate advertisement for some ETF I think.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? stay with the attention ? , the symbolism, and encroaching on spaces dominated by men. Instead of building and wanting their own, a ? stay wanting hijack what men have built. Instead of having the little by the bull. The little should be across the street from this building.

nyse.jpg

Placing the little girl statue standing in defiance of the very symbol of American capitalism, wealth, and commerce would have sent a very strong message and really driven the point home. Then again, these are emotional ? and nobody will ever accuse a woman of using the sense that good Lord gave her.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like the bull is saying 'move ? get out the way'

eAQwVPXcfbKdBvy-800x450-noPad.jpg?1489021220

It's kinda funny to me, as if she's so irrelevant he would bypass her and now there is a dog ? on her leg.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here lies the guy who made a puppy ? on a lil girl remember him as he was