Plant based diets, yay or nay?

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    That was a good Doc.

I myself have not/will not go full vegan. I have been eating more vegetables, nuts, and seeds though.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blacktux wrote: »
    caddo man wrote: »
    This is the thing I hate about vegetarians. Why are you trying to eat ? that taste like meat?

As someone that lived the life for a few months, "tastes like meat" is an untrue statement. For most dishes including a meat, its the seasoning and the way it was prepared that you taste/crave more than the meat.

You ever had a chicken breast or hamburger with no seasoning? Disgusting.

I quit because i was losing too much weight and people thought i was sick. A veggie based diet,jogging and calisthenics I got down to 152. I never felt better.

I do fish and chicken now.

I think he's referring to all the vegetarian/vegan faux meat products you see on the shelves at pretty much every grocery store.

I'm of the same thought process: If you're calling yourself vegetarian or vegan, there's no reason to seek out ? that's a constant reminder of the meats you used to enjoy. You ain't about that life anymore so why do it? And if you call yourself switching to a vegetarian or vegan diet for health reasons then there's absolutely no reason to eat that ? 'cause they're so heavily processed and laced with chemicals you're better off eating meat anyways.
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each, is own...
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Humans ARE NOT herbivores

Ya know what i thought was why do we have to cook it? Like true carnivores eat meat raw. We're the only ones that have to cook it. A lot of it goes back to Europeans living in areas that didnt have the same resources as their African ancestors and meat became more of a focus. But in our natural forms I think we probably are herbivores. Humans just found a way to be able to eat meat. But its not necessarily good for us and poisons us. It has a few maybe benefits too. Preferably yeah I try to cut down meat as much as possible. I cut out beef completely. and shellfish for the most part and it feels good to have those vegetarian times. I think its more a process getting to a point.

Noah was the first person to cook meat, and you know what ? said? "? that smells ? good" and we've been eating meat since because ? liked it.

Lol this so ignorant it's hilarious
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beta wrote: »
    Humans ARE NOT herbivores

Ya know what i thought was why do we have to cook it? Like true carnivores eat meat raw. We're the only ones that have to cook it. A lot of it goes back to Europeans living in areas that didnt have the same resources as their African ancestors and meat became more of a focus. But in our natural forms I think we probably are herbivores. Humans just found a way to be able to eat meat. But its not necessarily good for us and poisons us. It has a few maybe benefits too. Preferably yeah I try to cut down meat as much as possible. I cut out beef completely. and shellfish for the most part and it feels good to have those vegetarian times. I think its more a process getting to a point.

Noah was the first person to cook meat, and you know what ? said? "? that smells ? good" and we've been eating meat since because ? liked it.

Lol this so ignorant it's hilarious

Hey? That's literally what happened. No meat was slaughtered or cooked until Noah, and ? liked the smell and meat been in our story ever since. Sounds like truth to me.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the thing I hate about vegetarians. Why are you trying to eat ? that taste like meat?

As someone that lived the life for a few months, "tastes like meat" is an untrue statement. For most dishes including a meat, its the seasoning and the way it was prepared that you taste/crave more than the meat.

I quit because i was losing too much weight and people thought i was sick. A veggie based diet,jogging and calisthenics I got down to 152. I never felt better.

I think he's referring to all the vegetarian/vegan faux meat products you see on the shelves at pretty much every grocery store.

I'm of the same thought process: If you're calling yourself vegetarian or vegan, there's no reason to seek out ? that's a constant reminder of the meats you used to enjoy. You ain't about that life anymore so why do it? And if you call yourself switching to a vegetarian or vegan diet for health reasons then there's absolutely no reason to eat that ? 'cause they're so heavily processed and laced with chemicals you're better off eating meat anyways.

Faux meat? You mean vegetable dishes with the seasonings/sauces that we are so used to eating with meat?

Like buffalo/bbq califlower?
    Or bean based patties used fot veggie burgers?

It really opened my eyes when i tried things of the sort. I didnt miss the meat at all when i realized it wasnt the meat i was craving, it was the TASTE.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Faux meat? You mean vegetable dishes with the seasonings/sauces that we are so used to eating with meat?

Like buffalo/bbq califlower?
    Or bean based patties used fot veggie burgers?

It really opened my eyes when i tried things of the sort. I didnt miss the meat at all when i realized it wasnt the meat i was craving, it was the TASTE.

I'm talking about ? like this:

morningstar-veggie-burger.jpg

matter of fact... peep the article I linked this pic from:

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/Morningstar-Farms-veggie-burgers-1563.html

A lot of those fake meats have ? that's plain bad for you. MSG, I think, is the top of the list and the companies that make the stuff hide it in plain sight by using alternative names for it.

https://lifespa.com/sneaky-names-for-msg-check-your-labels/

There's a couple dozen ingredients you find that are actually hidden sources of the excitotoxin MSG and they're almost always found in fake vegetarian meats.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ? go be eating sunflowers
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Sunflowers are an excellent source of potassium, magnesium, and fiber.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I'm doing the paleo diet...not all the way vegan but I'm about that alkaline diet tho
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    traestar wrote: »
    I'm doing the paleo diet...not all the way vegan but I'm about that alkaline diet tho

I did alkaline diet for a week and lost 10lbs
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Olorun22 wrote: »
    traestar wrote: »

I did alkaline diet for a week and lost 10lbs

Did you drink that kagan water ? too? I was thinking of trying it cuz they have a spot out here that sells it.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Meat and veggies are the way to go. If anything, cut dough and bread and fruit.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay

This is the sexual equivalent to feminine acting lesbians wanting their girlfriends to wear strap ons.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Meat and veggies are the way to go. If anything, cut dough and bread and fruit.

Fruit? Because of the sugar?
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mastery wrote: »
    I quit because i was losing too much weight and people thought i was sick
    Drake
    Lurk in a year

korim1l8fwda.jpg

Why cant you get the same gains tho? Is it the lack of protein? Im def not tryin to be out here on the Adrien Brody side of the game...
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Nay
    I quit because i was losing too much weight and people thought i was sick
    Drake
    Lurk in a year

korim1l8fwda.jpg

Why cant you get the same gains tho? Is it the lack of protein? Im def not tryin to be out here on the Adrien Brody side of the game...

You actually can get the same gains if you do it right. @Black_Samson already told you supplements and vitamins.

You just need to ensure you're taking in enough plant based protein and supplemental protein. A barrage of veggies and fruits is good but most of your calories should come from dense foods; basically you need to have a good balance.

And then you need to watch out for micronutrient deficiencies (Iron, Calcium, Zinc, Vitamin B12).

@Lurkristocrat
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    If you trying to be healthy cut unnecessary and manufactured sugars like jelly, bread, white rice, beer, pop (what the uneducated call "soda"), and candy. HFCS will rot your brain.

I need to cut bread from my diet but a ? love a good sandwich, ? love pizza too. ? it, we all gotta die of something.

Meat ain't your enemy. You might need to slow down on it but cutting it out completely is a ? mission. Especially considering alot of the vegan/vegetarian substitutes are high in salt, other horrible ? and expensive.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever happened to balance?