29 Years Old Today - This Is A Top 5 Hip Hop Album

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
[img]https://scontent-lga3-1.? .fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19429614_451756135188584_7665133587709781863_n.jpg?oh=2a2c9866ca5d0e09de3bbe2897f397a4&oe=59CFAA47[/img]

Comments

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't argue with that, groundbreaking.
  • Weazel
    Options
    Must say, "Fear Of A Black Planet" might be my personal favorite PE album.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Public Enemy is dropping a new album
    l3ke3qg48wyi.pngz265t7tpv2q6.png
    r33bh14xb1wo.png

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album came out before I was born but I bought it at a library like 8 years ago. Alot of older fans were saying how great they were. I can say I wasn't disappointed. Classic album and the topics are still relevant today. Black Steel in the hour of chaos is one of my favorite songs ever. Some of the songs are still sampled.

Game used the Black Steel beat for the remedy on the doctors advocate and Jay-Z used to the show em whet you got for his ? song on Kingdom come
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    top 3 hip hop groups of all time
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great, but not a top 5 album.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sike I lied....
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Don't believe that hype"
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still remember the first time I heard this on cassette. It was crazy, i never heard nothing like that before. Even the sonics were ill
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    I still remember the first time I heard this on cassette. It was crazy, i never heard nothing like that before. Even the sonics were ill

Cosign.

I remember the day I bought the record. The lyrics were printed in the sleeve. I sat down and listened to the whole album from front to back while reading the lyrics.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will be here for the 30th anniversary next year
  • Weazel
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Let's celebrate these kinda albums yearly my dude
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/q0b0jIaCEHU

No hook just Terminator X on the cut. I miss the days of the emcee paying respect to the DJ scratching the record

A little known fact; Terminator X didn't do all the cuts and scratches for Public Enemy. DJ Johnny Juice from Son Of Berserk did the cuts and scratches for Rebel Without A Pause.

Here's a clip I found about DJ Johnny Juice

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/dj-johnny-juice
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Top 10 albums
    Paid In Full
    Straight Outta Compton
    Death Certificate
    Me Against The World
    All Eyes On Me
    The Chronic
    ATLiens
    Ridin' ?
    It Takes A Nation of Millions
    ?

Honorable Mention
    On Top of The World
    Midnight Maruders
    Spice 1
    Soul Food
    Nobody Does It Better
    SouthernPlayalistic
    Ready 2 Die
    Above The Rim Soundtrack
    Illmatic
    The Fix
    Thug Motivation 101
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    Beta wrote: »

Let's celebrate these kinda albums yearly my dude

Nah. The reason redundant enough
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im 41. Sooooo crazy that my dad put me on to P.E. They had a song, my 98 oldsmobile. We literally had one and he was on it!
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the fact they were able to have numerous samples mesh on each song perfectly, before digital technology made it easier, is amazing
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    im 41. Sooooo crazy that my dad put me on to P.E. They had a song, my 98 oldsmobile. We literally had one and he was on it!

Its called You're Gonna Get Yours, it was the first track of their first album.

You're Gonna Get Yours - Public Enemy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYblg4i2HD8
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The Bomb Squad which are producers for P.E. are Top 10 producers of all times in Hip Hop....The Bomb Squad needs to be in a beat battle against Swizz Beatz and other producers like the Hit Men or Neptunes as group producing beat battles
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Matike85 wrote: »
    The Bomb Squad which are producers for P.E. are Top 10 producers of all times in Hip Hop....The Bomb Squad needs to be in a beat battle against Swizz Beatz and other producers like the Hit Men or Neptunes as group producing beat battles

This. Their sound is still unique and unmatched. Bomb Squad beats have this amazing feel of controlled chaos, straight riot music.

Lol they said when P.E went on the Def Jam tour in Europe as a opening act, they was killing the shows so hard that the crowd would ? on the rest of the concert because they couldn't match that sound & energy. Chuck D said they were throwing coins & debris at LL Cool J when he'd try to do "I Need Love" with a couch on stage......Rakim was eventually like "? this" and quit the tour lmao
    313 wayz wrote: »
    the fact they were able to have numerous samples mesh on each song perfectly, before digital technology made it easier, is amazing

Chuck D said in his autobiography (which I used to read like the Bible as a kid) that when they made Rebel Without a Pause, there wasn't even any samplers that could loop a damn sample......he said they had to unwind a reel of audio tape and wrap it around a pole or some ? , then manually cut & scotch tape the loops together.

These non-linear editing computer programs done spoiled us lol
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Matike85 wrote: »

This. Their sound is still unique and unmatched. Bomb Squad beats have this amazing feel of controlled chaos, straight riot music.

Lol they said when P.E went on the Def Jam tour in Europe as a opening act, they was killing the shows so hard that the crowd would ? on the rest of the concert because they couldn't match that sound & energy. Chuck D said they were throwing coins & debris at LL Cool J when he'd try to do "I Need Love" with a couch on stage......Rakim was eventually like "? this" and quit the tour lmao
    313 wayz wrote: »

Chuck D said in his autobiography (which I used to read like the Bible as a kid) that when they made Rebel Without a Pause, there wasn't even any samplers that could loop a damn sample......he said they had to unwind a reel of audio tape and wrap it around a pole or some ? , then manually cut & scotch tape the loops together.

These non-linear editing computer programs done spoiled us lol

Chuck also stated that for Rebel Without A Pause, Flavor Flav played the drums all the way through the song because the initial drum sample pattern timing was off.......thats my favorite track on that album
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/q0b0jIaCEHU

No hook just Terminator X on the cut. I miss the days of the emcee paying respect to the DJ scratching the record

A little known fact; Terminator X didn't do all the cuts and scratches for Public Enemy. DJ Johnny Juice from Son Of Berserk did the cuts and scratches for Rebel Without A Pause.

Here's a clip I found about DJ Johnny Juice

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/dj-johnny-juice

Another lil known fact is that Terminator X original name was Dj Mellow D. I forget which song Chuck mentioned this name on too.

Another personal fact for me is, I've only heard Terminator X voice once in my entire life.

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This album was ass when I listened to it
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album came out before I was born but I bought it at a library like 8 years ago. Alot of older fans were saying how great they were. I can say I wasn't disappointed. Classic album and the topics are still relevant today. Black Steel in the hour of chaos is one of my favorite songs ever. Some of the songs are still sampled.

Game used the Black Steel beat for the remedy on the doctors advocate and Jay-Z used to the show em whet you got for his ? song on Kingdom come

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU