Indianapolis pigs ? an unarmed Black man..The Mayor & the Pig Chief call the killing a "tragedy"…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/06/29/officers-shoot-? -suspect-after-car-chase/438405001/
Indianapolis police chief calls fatal shooting of unarmed driver a 'tragedy'

Indianapolis Police Chief Bryan Roach didn’t mince words after he sat down behind a microphone Thursday to discuss the fatal shooting of an unarmed man by two police officers.

The death of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey was a “tragedy,” Roach said.

“This is something that every city, every chief of police, every community, every mayor, hopes that never happens.”

Police said a north-side traffic stop early Thursday morning led to brief chase, a minor crash, a driver who reached down in his car and two officers who fired.

“I probably really screwed up by not having a prepared statement for you,” Roach said during an afternoon news conference at the City-County Building, “but I wanted to come out here and at least share the feeling and the emotion.

“This is a problem and an issue that not only affects this police department, your chief of police, your mayor, but the community as a whole,” Roach said. “And my expectation is that all of those entities and all of us can have an open and clear discussion as we move forward, to the extent we can, within the parameters of the process.”

Bailey was black. One of the officers involved is white, the other is bi-racial.

Messages left with the president of the Fraternal Order of Police were not immediately returned Thursday evening.

A Justice for #AaronBailey rally is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Friday at City Market. Dominic Dorsey, founder of social-justice advocacy group DON’T SLEEP, said he was angry over the shooting.

“There's no reasonable explanation or excuse for what happened,” Dorsey said. “None.”

The circumstances behind what occurred shortly before 2 a.m. Thursday is only beginning to be known. Here is how authorities described the events:

Two police officers stopped Bailey’s vehicle about 1:45 a.m. near Burdsal Parkway and East Riverside Drive. About 10 minutes later, Bailey and his passenger suddenly took off. A police chase ensued, but after about a minute, Bailey crashed his sedan into a fence near the intersection of 23rd and Aqueduct streets.

As the two officers approached, Bailey reached down toward the center console. Both officers fired their weapons. Bailey was pronounced dead 30 minutes later at Eskenazi Hospital.

The passenger, 26-year-old Shiwanda Ward, was unhurt. She was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of drug paraphernalia and taken into custody.

The two officers, who joined the department in 2014, have no disciplinary records.

Roach said that because the prosecutor’s office is conducting a criminal investigation, the officers have not yet given a statement to the police department. Many details remain unclear, Roach said, regarding what the officers and the vehicle’s occupants heard, saw, said and did. Roach said he did not know why Bailey was initially pulled over.

“I know all of us would like to have those answers now, including me,” Roach said. “I’m just like you are, and being a policeman, I may have more questions than you.”

Mayor Joe Hogsett said residents expect that IMPD will “stringently follow protocol” by fully investigating and reviewing the matter. “We will continue to engage local faith and community leaders to reiterate a commitment to handling this process with openness, transparency, and compassion,” he said in a statement.

IMPD vehicles are not typically equipped with dash cams, and the department does not have body cameras for its officers. Police said Ward is the only other known witness to the shooting.

Roach said that to follow departmental policy, the officers would have had to have had a reasonable expectation that their lives, or the lives of others, were endangered before they could use lethal force.

“We have to assume that that was the mindset of those officers when they pulled that trigger,” Roach said.

Bailey had amassed 11 felony cases since 1996, including convictions on charges of resisting law enforcement, battery, drug possession, robbery and auto theft, according to online court records. A Feb. 2 charge of theft is pending.

Roach said the officers involved in the shooting would not have had time to conduct a thorough background check on Bailey. But it remains unclear whether the two officers knew who Bailey was.

The Rev. James "Dynamite" Black, a volunteer with the Indy Ten Point Coalition who visited the scene, said he understands that many people are feeling emotional in the wake of the shooting. With so many raw feelings and lingering questions, the desire to take action is often strong.

But Black, a Ten Point volunteer for nearly a decade and founder of Stop The Violence In The Streets Indianapolis, urges residents to wait until more is known before taking a firm stance or lashing out.

In times like this, he said, action without understanding may lead to further loss and heartbreak.

“Step back and wait. We don’t have all the information on it just yet, so we need to wait and not create a more violent situation,” he said. “We should focus on coming together and praying on it because it impacts everybody.”

Bailey's death is the first fatal police shooting of the year. IMPD recorded three fatal police shootings in 2016, eight in 2015 and four in 2014.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/indiana/articles/2017-06-29/indianapolis-police-fatally-shoot-driver-following-pursuit
Indianapolis Mayor, Police Chief: Fatal Shooting a 'Tragedy'

Indianapolis' police chief calls the shooting of an unarmed motorist a "tragedy" and says he assumes the officers involved believed their lives were in danger.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indianapolis' mayor and police chief called the fatal shooting of an unarmed motorist by officers Thursday a "tragedy," and the chief said that criminal and internal affairs investigations were underway.

The motorist whom coroners identified as Aaron Bailey, 45, sped away after being pulled over by police about 1:45 a.m. Thursday, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said. Officers chased the vehicle and, after it crashed into a fence, shot the man, Sgt. Kendale Adams said.

Police later searched Bailey's vehicle but said they found no weapon, The Indianapolis Star and WXIN-TV reported.

"The loss of any life in our city is a tragedy, and my thoughts and prayers are with all individuals and families affected," Mayor Joe Hogsett said in a statement. "Our residents expect that IMPD will stringently follow protocol by fully investigating and reviewing the actions that were taken."

Police Chief Bryan Roach said he assumed the officers involved believed their lives were in danger.

"As a department our heart goes out to that family," Roach said. "This is something that every city, every chief of police, every community, every mayor ... hopes never happens."

Roach said he expects the officers involved will at some point appear before a grand jury. After that occurs, officers can give their statements to IMPD. Until that happens, Roach said he will not know exactly what happened.

The two officers involved in the shooting were not hurt. They have been placed on routine administrative leave. Their names were not released.

Adams said not finding a weapon was not an indication the police use of force was not justified.

"Just because you don't find a weapon does not mean that it can't be reasonable" to use force, Adams told WXIN. "Obviously, there are a lot of factors that go into that when officers have to make that decision."

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The passenger, 26-year-old Shiwanda Ward, was unhurt. She was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of drug paraphernalia+

they lockign folks up for this ...just wasting tax money

RIP to the brother hope his family gets some justice and a check and not just a check
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

Being black, leading cops on a chase, supposedly "reaching" for anything after crashing..

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

I didn't even reach for a phone in my pocket that clearly has a loud ring tone while dealing wit police. I mean...? up as it is..at point do u got to know better?
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And that's not to say that this is how things should be and we should be ok wit it...

But, I ain't walking through a crip hood wearing red, cause i should be allowed to wear what i wanna wear
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

Being black, leading cops on a chase, supposedly "reaching" for anything after crashing..

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

I didn't even reach for a phone in my pocket that clearly has a loud ring tone while dealing wit police. I mean...? up as it is..at point do u got to know better?

This
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

This is kinda my sentiments b/c them speeding off leading 12 on a chase pretty much gave them a open them cacs probable cause to put some bullets in they ass (not that I'm adherent to that line of thinking but that's what cops do to US) , BUT that whole reaching in the console ? sounds like a cover up. If they were unarmed what are the "reaching" for?? They had, no drugs or no weapons and I'm pretty sure ol' girl hid that paraphernalia that found already.

Ironically there's no video whatsoever so 12 will lie/embellish/twist the truth on their police reports like they do 99.9% of the time.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

This is kinda my sentiments b/c them speeding off leading 12 on a chase pretty much gave them a open them cacs probable cause to put some bullets in they ass (not that I'm adherent to that line of thinking but that's what cops do to US) , BUT that whole reaching in the console ? sounds like a cover up. If they were unarmed what are the "reaching" for?? They had, no drugs or no weapons and I'm pretty sure ol' girl hid that paraphernalia that found already.

Ironically there's no video whatsoever so 12 will lie/embellish/twist the truth on their police reports like they do 99.9% of the time.
    I mean, if this actually happend as they claimed, then how are they gonna know he aint got a weapon?? U gotta chase dude down, and he crashes, you run up to his car and it looks like he reachin for something, are you gonna wait to see what hes grabbing for? Most ppl gonna get blasted in that situation, cause if they gotta chase you down like that, the situation completely changes..i dont ? wit cops but if this whole thing is true than i cant get mad bout dude gettin killed

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

He also put the passenger at risk...
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    MallyG wrote: »
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

I mean, if this actually happend as they claimed, then how are they gonna know he aint got a weapon?? U gotta chase dude down, and he crashes, you run up to his car and it looks like he reachin for something, are you gonna wait to see what hes grabbing for? Most ppl gonna get blasted in that situation, cause if they gotta chase you down like that, the situation completely changes..i dont ? wit cops but if this whole thing is true than i cant get mad bout dude gettin killed

Like I said I agree w/ Allergens, but early in your post you said the operative word, "IF"!! And to the bolded, a high majority of BLACKS will/would get killed in that situation.... You remember those two white inmates who escaped and killed a Police officer/guard in Georgia just a couple weeks ago? They shot @ the police in Tennessee (in a stolen car) the very next day tryna getaway and were eventually apprehended UNHARMED......

All I'm saying is they knew they didn't have any dash camera or body cams. I wouldn't doubt they just used Bishop's quote in a statement (from Juice) and simply said "He made the move!!!" and just got a chance to smoke another black guy.

Do undertand tho, that man put him and ol' girl in harm's way so I definitely get where yall coming from.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oqbbbps6v4ks.jpg

U pretty much wanna die

I mean...really b

Disgusting. Cops lie in 95% of all these killings, yet ? in 2017 really give the police story credibility? The same police who said Philando reached for his gun? Yea ok ?
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing will EVER change. Keep up the resistance but on a covert level. Agree wholeheartedly​ with u breh's on give em what they ask for so u can keep it moving. At least u MAY have the opportunity 2 do so opposed 2 jumping out da window and 4 sho wind up in jail or dead. Wow. Don't even sound like we're dealing with humans when discussing EDOMITES. Strange indeed.
  • stringer bell
    Options

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/two-traffic-stops-two-separate-outcomes-aaron-bailey-death-raises-questions-about-deadly-shooting
    2 traffic stops, 2 separate outcomes: Derek Hicks fled and lived, Aaron Bailey fled and was killed

INDIANAPOLIS -- Derek Hicks was wanted on an arrest warrant out of Vermillion County when Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers attempted to pull him over at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.

He fled, he was armed and he lived.

Just 24 hours later, Aaron Bailey was stopped by police at around 1:45 a.m. Thursday, fled, and was shot to death.

IMPD says two of their officers shot the unarmed Bailey multiple times in his car after it came to a stop in a crash with a tree. The specific details of what led to the shooting have not yet been released.

IMPD spokesperson Sgt. Kendale Adams tells RTV6 that the department could not comment on the Hicks case because it is now in the hands in the Marion County Prosecutor.

Unlike Bailey, Hicks never stopped for the flashing lights. His 1989 Chevrolet Silverado was going so fast on the 1400 Block of S. Richland Street that it overturned after hitting a silver Dodge Caravan.

Police say Hicks crawled out of the cab of the pickup and ran on foot, south on Richland.

Per a report obtained by Call 6 Investigates, the officer chased him, yelling,"Police, stop, police!"

A few blocks away in the 1700 block of Morgan Street, he was arrested; bloodied and injured.

Police learned the 30-year-old was wanted on a warrant approved by Vermillion County Court on June 16 for resisting arrest along with a bond set for $25,000.

After the traffic stop, IMPD found a black, Smith and Wesson semi-automatic, .40 caliber handgun with 5 rounds in the magazine laying next to the truck. They also found a plastic baggie with more than 14 grams of suspected marijuana in the driver’s side door.

Police arrested Hicks on multiple charges, including resisting law enforcement with a vehicle, carrying a handgun without a license, leaving the scene of an accident, and possession of marijuana.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/11/fbi-opens-civil-rights-investigation-into-police-shooting-aaron-bailey/467433001/
    FBI opens civil rights investigation into police shooting of Aaron Bailey

The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation into the police shooting of Aaron Bailey, an unarmed black man who was killed last month by Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers.

IMPD Chief Bryan Roach said Tuesday that the Police Department asked for the FBI's assistance because the community wants an independent review. He and Mayor Joe Hogsett have stressed transparency in their own inquiry.

"I have every confidence in our investigation," Roach said. "At the same time, I understand there are people in our community who don't."

Bailey, 45, was shot and killed by Officers Michal P. Dinnsen and Carlton J. Howard after a chase that followed a traffic stop on the city's north side around 2 a.m. June 29. The officers, who joined the department in 2014, are on administrative leave. Neither has a disciplinary record.

The shooting was decried by pastors with the Indianapolis Congregation Action Network and other community leaders, who are calling for the officers to be fired and prosecuted. Advocacy group Don't Sleep called for justice in a rally last month, and at least one more rally is planned Saturday at the Indiana Statehouse while the Indiana Black Expo Summer Celebration is underway Downtown.

Tony Mason, president of the Indianapolis Urban League, said he was "pleased" to hear about the federal civil rights inquiry.

"We want to make sure the process is as transparent as possible," Mason said.

Others offered a more cautious perspective.

Dominic Dorsey, president of Don't Sleep, said the group has been calling for a review from an unbiased third party. He noted that IMPD administrators and the mayor's office have a close relationship with the FBI's Indianapolis field office.

Hogsett served as the U.S. attorney for the Southern District before being elected mayor in 2015.

Dorsey said he hopes the investigation does not rely solely on information that IMPD provides to agents.

"The magnitude of what happened is not lost on Chief Roach," Dorsey said, though he added that "only time will tell" how effective the FBI review is.

In addition to IMPD's inquiry, the Marion County prosecutor's office also is investigating.

FBI spokeswoman Chris Bavender said the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Indiana will run a "parallel investigation" at the request of IMPD.

"The FBI will collect all available facts and evidence and will ensure that the investigation is conducted in a fair, thorough and impartial manner," she said in a Tuesday statement.

The FBI's civil division investigates use of excessive force and other alleged violations by law enforcement, as well as hate crimes and human trafficking, among other matters.

Police have not said why they stopped Bailey's vehicle about 1:45 a.m. near Burdsal Parkway and East Riverside Drive.

Court records show that a warrant had been issued for his arrest earlier that day because he had violated the terms of his release on a pending Feb. 2 theft charge.

About 10 minutes after the traffic stop, Bailey suddenly took off, police said. A police chase ensued, but after about a minute Bailey crashed his sedan into a fence near the intersection of 23rd and Aqueduct streets.

Police said Bailey reached down toward the center console of his sedan when the two officers approached. Both officers fired their weapons. Bailey was pronounced dead 30 minutes later at Eskenazi Hospital.

Many details of the shooting are still unclear. Officials have yet to say how many shots were fired, why Bailey was pulled over or whether he said anything to the officers before they fired.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/10/31/no-charges-aaron-bailey-shooting/818474001/
    No charges in Aaron Bailey shooting: 'I just really can't believe it,' his daughter says

A special prosecutor said Tuesday there would be no criminal charges against the two Indianapolis police officers who fatally shot Aaron Bailey in June, leading his daughter to say the "system has failed" her family.

"I just really can't believe it," said Erica Bailey during a news conference at her family's attorney's office. "I'm just so torn up. We're supposed to be able to trust the law. Right now, that's really hard to do."

In a 16-page report, St. Joseph County Prosecutor Kenneth P. Cotter said that insufficient evidence exists to refute the officers' statements that they feared for their lives when they shot Bailey following a traffic stop that led to a brief police chase and minor car accident. Bailey was unarmed.

Cotter had been assigned to the case in August after Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry requested a special prosecutor from the court. Family members and advocates had been calling for an outside prosecutor for weeks.

"After applying Indiana self-defense statutes to the results of this investigation, Prosecutor Cotter determined that no criminal charges shall be filed against the two police officers," a statement from his office said.

Officers stopped Bailey's Cadillac about 1:45 a.m. June 29 near Burdsal Parkway and East Riverside Drive. About 10 minutes after the traffic stop Bailey drove off with a woman in the passenger seat, police said.

Bailey led officers on a short chase that traveled about a mile and was finished in less than a minute, police said. Bailey crashed the car and stopped near 23rd and Aqueduct streets.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officers Michal P. Dinnsen and Carlton J. Howard approached the vehicle and yelled for Bailey to show his hands, according to the report.

The officers said Bailey did not respond to the commands, according to the report, and instead reached into the vehicle's center console before turning toward one of the officers. The officers then fired repeatedly.

Bailey was pronounced dead at Eskenazi Hospital 30 minutes after the shooting. No weapon was found in Bailey’s vehicle.

Cotter's report said the officers acted in self-defense.

“This is not the first case where officers have feared for their lives and then still gotten away with murder,” said Satchuel Cole, vice president of the social-justice organization DONT SLEEP, at a rally Tuesday evening outside the City-County Building. “In fact, I’m pretty sure that’s the policy.”

Under her feet were faded messages written in colored chalk. “Black Lives Matter as much as all lives,” one read. “Aaron Bailey’s life matters.”

She said they would continue fighting for justice.

“IMPD can either start with the sweeping changes, or they will get no peace in this city.”

The Rev. David Greene, president of Concerned Clergy and pastor of Purpose of Life Ministries, noted the national pattern of police officers not being prosecuted for other shootings of black men.

“It doesn’t bode well for fostering good police-community relationships,” Greene told IndyStar in an interview separate from the rally. “Obviously, we want to have great police and community relationships, but when no officer ever gets indicted, it makes it hard. It’s hard to sell having great relationships because it seems like there’s a double standard.”

He said he is looking next to how IMPD Chief Bryan Roach responds and whether Roach determines that the shooting was not just warranted but necessary. He said Roach could still discipline the officers for the use of force.

Roach was not available for comment on Tuesday, and a handful of IndyStar questions were unanswered by IMPD. Roach is planning to hold a press conference Wednesday.

In the past, IMPD said it would conduct its own internal investigation after the conclusion of the criminal investigation. IMPD also asked the U.S. Department of Justice to conduct a civil rights investigation.

W. Jay Abbott, special agent in charge of FBI’s Indianapolis division, released a statement to IndyStar: “The FBI will review all available evidence and facts and will conduct additional investigative steps where appropriate.”

The FBI declined further comment, citing its ongoing investigation.

Following the shooting, Mayor Joe Hogsett announced a slew of policy changes at IMPD, including implicit bias training, changing the department's use-of-force policies and creating a use-of-force review board.

On Tuesday, Hogsett released a statement emphasizing that IMPD will "launch a full administrative review" into the circumstances of the shooting.

"Effective immediately, I have asked Chief Bryan Roach to gather all evidence from the special prosecutor’s investigation along with any other available materials to begin that process," Hogsett said.

He also thanked faith and community leaders for their "patience and leadership over the last four months."

"I urge those who have been moved to action by these events to continue to challenge our city to do more to earn and sustain trust between Indianapolis neighborhoods and our police department,” Hogsett said.

SMDH...
  • stringer bell
    edited November 2017
    Options
    WHAT WE LEARNED IN THE REPORT

The 16-page report released by Cotter's office Tuesday provides a detailed timeline of events leading up to the shooting.

Officer Howard first encountered the Cadillac around 1:30 a.m. at a gas station near 16th and Tremont streets, according to the report. The car was at the pumps with all four doors opened but had no occupants.

Howard circled back around the block, and the Cadillac pulled onto 16th Street. He ran the license plate at 1:43 a.m. The vehicle was registered to Bailey, but Bailey’s license was suspended, according to the report.

Howard said he saw the Cadillac change lanes without using a turn signal, and around 1:45 a.m. he initiated a traffic stop in the area of Riverside Drive and Burdsal Parkway.

Howard said Bailey advised him that his license was suspended, which he told Bailey was “no big deal,” according to the report. Bailey asked Howard to “give him a break,” Howard said, and began acting “more nervous than the traffic stop warranted.”

Howard returned to his squad car to run Bailey’s information, as well as the information for his passenger, Shiwanda Ward, at 1:48 a.m. Those searches revealed that Bailey was identified as a suspect in multiple robberies and had previous convictions, according to the report. It also identified Ward as “being monitored” in connection with a homicide, although it did not advise whether she was a suspect in that homicide.

At 1:50 a.m., Dinnsen arrived at the traffic stop in his own squad car. Four minutes later, Dinnsen alerted dispatchers to the pursuit. Four minutes after that, at 1:58 a.m., Howard reported the crash. Dinnsen then radioed other officers their location.

Eighteen seconds later, Dinnsen alerted dispatchers to the shooting, with a voice yelling “hands” during the dispatch, according to the report.

Both Howard and Dinnsen told investigators they saw Bailey appearing to reach toward the Cadillac’s center console and that they repeatedly instructed him to raise his hands. Howard then told Dinnsen — and later, investigators — that Bailey appeared to be “digging,” a term used by IMPD to describe when someone is searching for a gun.

Howard shot six times, Dinnsen five, according to the report.

Ward, the car’s passenger, said she had been pleading with Bailey to stop the car, but he was convinced he would be taken to jail because the battery on his GPS monitor had died that day.

After the crash, Ward told investigators she was “stunned” by the airbags and remembered hearing three shots. After the first shot, she told investigators Bailey turned to her.

“They shot me baby,” she remembered him saying to her, according to the report.

Then, she said, the shots continued.

More officers arrived at the scene three minutes after the shooting was announced over the radio, according to the report. There, they found Bailey slumped over the center console of the Cadillac, unresponsive. Bailey sustained four gunshot wounds to the back, one of which pierced both his heart and left lung.

Ward was arrested on a charge of possessing drug paraphernalia.