How are we supposed to manage Masculinity in music?

LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
Right now, Kendrick is the feminist rap idol. But he's not without "flaw". He distances himself from being a hoe, he talks about killing ? , and includes a lot of language that people disagree with to express himself. So on one hand, we have the same thinkers who see him as the perfect attack on the machine, but he is also the machine itself when he uses this language.

So where are we supposed to sit as men when our strength counteracts our attempts to reach to women? Why does it feel like as a man, the space I can occupy freely, is getting very small?

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does Hip Hop have to do with the way you live your life?
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hip hop is hyper masculine because its black culture an we have been ? an torn down so much we have to b macho an agressive
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Yea, a little confused on the topic. Elaborate.
  • LUClEN
    Kendrick both is and is not social justice. On one hand, he's the emancipation of black thought; but on the other he represents the struggle. In a way, he's the dichotomy of social justice balancing good and bad. As consequence of his artistry, many clones have arisen. This position is not just Kendrick's anymore.

So as men, sitting on a volatile position where our choices have dramatic effect, I wanna guage where you guys think we going musically, and more importantly, where you think we SHOULD be going
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO this is about Kendrick your admiration for him and your own perceived inadequacies? Alright I am not touching this ? further...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, rappers shouldn't be looked at as role models. They might say thought provoking lyrics, but their job is to tour and perform at concerts. They're entertainers. There's nothing wrong with being an entertainer, but that's it. They're not politicians, doctors, stockbrokers, lawyers or policemen.

Don't look at rappers as role models. Their lives and image is all an illusion.

• StreetRap
    StreetRap Members Posts: 416
    You can't box what a rapper is suppose to be into 1 category
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Kendrick both is and is not social justice. On one hand, he's the emancipation of black thought; but on the other he represents the struggle. In a way, he's the dichotomy of social justice balancing good and bad. As consequence of his artistry, many clones have arisen. This position is not just Kendrick's anymore.

So as men, sitting on a volatile position where our choices have dramatic effect, I wanna guage where you guys think we going musically, and more importantly, where you think we SHOULD be going

Kendrick does not represent the state of rap he is the exception. I also think you are making observations that arent really there. Im a deep thinker but you are making too much of Kendrick and connecting him to the overall present culture
  • 5 Grand
    I guess the threadstarter is living vicariously through Kendrick. I was the same way as a teenager but you've got to grow up and realize that these rappers are just that; rappers.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Kendrick really is ? .

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    First of all, rappers shouldn't be looked at as role models. They might say thought provoking lyrics, but their job is to tour and perform at concerts. They're entertainers. There's nothing wrong with being an entertainer, but that's it. They're not politicians, doctors, stockbrokers, lawyers or policemen.

Baabbbyy....that whole post just sent me to that divine entity and back! I can't remember the last time anyone made me feel it like that! Back like cataracts; his words were intact!

@Beta, this is how you're suppose to turn it for me. Make me a believer and stop feeding me fallacies! Actually, this post got me on my knees like I'm Chinese!
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LUClEN
    You guys aren't buying this so let's retrace a bit then maybe I can show you where my view is coming from.

1. Kendrick has dominated sales from 2014 onwards. He exceeds his squad, and always conjures discussion. He is a name, where's Cole and Q are just side conversations. ''

2. Whether or not you think Kendrick is actually influencing people does not change the fact that he has a platform to do it and already has. I could be giving too much weight to his music as fas as gender influence is concerned, but presence is there, whether it is as effectual as I claim it is or not

3. This view is my own, i'll own any errors in it: What should I be wanting from rap, in your view? Where does the genre go from here?
  • 5 Grand
    You guys aren't buying this so let's retrace a bit then maybe I can show you where my view is coming from.

1. Kendrick has dominated sales from 2014 onwards. He exceeds his squad, and always conjures discussion. He is a name, where's Cole and Q are just side conversations. ''

2. Whether or not you think Kendrick is actually influencing people does not change the fact that he has a platform to do it and already has. I could be giving too much weight to his music as fas as gender influence is concerned, but presence is there, whether it is as effectual as I claim it is or not

3. This view is my own, i'll own any errors in it: What should I be wanting from rap, in your view? Where does the genre go from here?

Its just music. Don't take it too seriously.

Go to school, get a degree.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LUClEN

That's a weak argument. Same kind of view used to relegate black history to other histories
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

What in the flying ? does any of this ? you wrote got to do w/ masculinity.
  • 5 Grand

That's a weak argument. Same kind of view used to relegate black history to other histories

I'm telling you from experience. When I was a teenager in the late 80s you had KRS-One, Public Enemy, X Clan, Poor Righteous Teachers, etc. They were all making this pro-Black music and I took it too seriously. It was just music.

As a result I let rappers form my train of thought. I didn't go to college directly from high school because I thought the rappers were on to something that the rest of the world didn't know about, or that the rappers held some special knowledge. But now that I'm older, I realize it was all an illusion. Those rappers were just rappers. They held no political power, didn't have a significant amount of money to affect change and now, 20 years later most of those rappers are broke and touring just to get by.

When Kendrick accumulates enough wealth to make a serious change in society, or figures out how to deal with the politicians in Washington DC then we can look at him as a role model. Otherwise, just bump his music but don't take it too seriously.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baabbbyy....that whole post just sent me to that divine entity and back! I can't remember the last time anyone made me feel it like that! Back like cataracts; his words were intact!

@Beta, this is how you're suppose to turn it for me. Make me a believer and stop feeding me fallacies! Actually, this post got me on my knees like I'm Chinese!

WTF is this garbage?
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea i still dont get the point of the thread
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saul williams slam first black boy lost movie
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Who the hell is Q.. As far as Jay Cole he's a cool lil rapper but he just doesnt move the needle for me.

2.For every kendrick there are 10 ? that say skrrrrt. in there songs.. They are the influencers..because people are eating that daily.(Some people like to say its just entertainment... its not)

3. Kendrick.. is one of my faves too.. All of my faves have provided "what i wanted in rap" Content,vividness.. and chiefly lyricism.. As far as where the genre goes its in the hands of the millenials.. (unfortunately)mainstream wise i wish we had more kendricks, mainstream