How are we supposed to manage Masculinity in music?

2»

Comments

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    First of all, rappers shouldn't be looked at as role models. They might say thought provoking lyrics, but their job is to tour and perform at concerts. They're entertainers. There's nothing wrong with being an entertainer, but that's it. They're not politicians, doctors, stockbrokers, lawyers or policemen.

Don't look at rappers as role models. Their lives and image is all an illusion.

Baabbbyy....that whole post just sent me to that divine entity and back! I can't remember the last time anyone made me feel it like that! Back like cataracts; his words were intact!

@Beta, this is how you're suppose to turn it for me. Make me a believer and stop feeding me fallacies! Actually, this post got me on my knees like I'm Chinese!

Some wack ? .
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    LUClEN wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    You guys aren't buying this so let's retrace a bit then maybe I can show you where my view is coming from.

1. Kendrick has dominated sales from 2014 onwards. He exceeds his squad, and always conjures discussion. He is a name, where's Cole and Q are just side conversations. ''

2. Whether or not you think Kendrick is actually influencing people does not change the fact that he has a platform to do it and already has. I could be giving too much weight to his music as fas as gender influence is concerned, but presence is there, whether it is as effectual as I claim it is or not

3. This view is my own, i'll own any errors in it: What should I be wanting from rap, in your view? Where does the genre go from here?

Its just music. Don't take it too seriously.

Go to school, get a degree.

That's a weak argument. Same kind of view used to relegate black history to other histories

I'm telling you from experience. When I was a teenager in the late 80s you had KRS-One, Public Enemy, X Clan, Poor Righteous Teachers, etc. They were all making this pro-Black music and I took it too seriously. It was just music.

As a result I let rappers form my train of thought. I didn't go to college directly from high school because I thought the rappers were on to something that the rest of the world didn't know about, or that the rappers held some special knowledge. But now that I'm older, I realize it was all an illusion. Those rappers were just rappers. They held no political power, didn't have a significant amount of money to affect change and now, 20 years later most of those rappers are broke and touring just to get by.

When Kendrick accumulates enough wealth to make a serious change in society, or figures out how to deal with the politicians in Washington DC then we can look at him as a role model. Otherwise, just bump his music but don't take it too seriously.

Bruh, I'm in college. I'm not gonna stop being me because I like rap. At the same time, I'm a first gen in Canada. I just wrote a 15 page paper about how Canada has created a false image of itself as a place of tolerance and diversity, that it uses as a tool of propaganda to make itself more attractive to potential immigrants, as it has been in direct competition with the US for labour importation for centuries and needs to make itself look better to have people choose Canada as a new home. I can criticize the things I love to better understand them, and I probably should be doing that as it's what I'm paying 10k+ for in tuition.

Let's say you're right though, and kendrick is a ? with no influence. He influences me, at least, and I know that. So, as someone who can enjoy his music but also see that there are things about it that fall in the category of "guilty pleasure", do I stop enjoyying it? How can I be Huey and Riley at the same time?