Netflix needs Dave Ramsey... they are $20B in debt!

Options

Comments

• Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Famed director Martin Scorsese is working with Netflix on The Irishman, which is estimated to cost $100million.

thats crazy instead of dealing with studios and puttin it in theaters all the premiers they rather punk netflix and take the easy road so its a win win for martin but netflix barely gonna make a profit
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they bring in ads I'll ? all of them
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Famed director Martin Scorsese is working with Netflix on The Irishman, which is estimated to cost $100million.

thats crazy instead of dealing with studios and puttin it in theaters all the premiers they rather punk netflix and take the easy road so its a win win for martin but netflix barely gonna make a profit

? has made a tonne of cash from Netflix too.
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just pay for Cable TV you ? bums
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always wondered how netflix made money besides subscriptions.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it cheaper to buy exclusive license than to develop themselves?

They will probably need to do a share issuance at some point to offset some of that debt. Not to mention the off-balance sheet debt they hiding
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They wouldn't have to spend so much money on original content if they'd just spend money on legit deals with movie/show studios that we want to see.

I don't think most customers would mine paying an extra dollar or two for actual recent big budget movies and some classics but Netflix has no recent movies and no classics that you want to see.

However they have all the knockoffs you heart desires
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So took a quick look at '16 annual report

$14.5 billion is estimated for what they may pay to potential content makers in the next 5 years.

Looking out 3 years - it's est $12 billion - they did $8b in revenues in 2016, interest they paying on the LOC and LT debt ain't ? right now (key word)

It's manageable as long as they don't materially lose subs
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They wouldn't have to spend so much money on original content if they'd just spend money on legit deals with movie/show studios that we want to see.

I don't think most customers would mine paying an extra dollar or two for actual recent big budget movies and some classics but Netflix has no recent movies and no classics that you want to see.

The hell are you talking bout. There are plenty of big movies on Netflix. Cap. America: Civil War been on there for at least 6 months to a year but it's not on HBO,Showtime, or Starz.

As far as original content, you do know it's done just the same as if it were on HBO, FX, ect. I'm sure it cost HBO a grip to produce the 1st season of GoT. Why pay a license fee when you can own the entire content

• DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The hell are you talking bout. There are plenty of big movies on Netflix. Cap. America: Civil War been on there for at least 6 months to a year but it's not on HBO,Showtime, or Starz.

As far as original content, you do know it's done just the same as if it were on HBO, FX, ect. I'm sure it cost HBO a grip to produce the 1st season of GoT. Why pay a license fee when you can own the entire content

2 or 3 major movies over the course of 2 years doesn't compensate for 95% of your catalog being knockoffs, movies no one has ever heard of starring people that having even taken a 7th grade drama course, or foreign films no one cares about.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options

2 or 3 major movies over the course of 2 years doesn't compensate for 95% of your catalog being knockoffs, movies no one has ever heard of starring people that having even taken a 7th grade drama course, or foreign films no one cares about.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/netflix?content_type=movie

2 or 3 huh.................
  • confucius_says
    confucius_says Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Options
    I didn't mind the price hike since they actually have quality content. Amazon's library sucks. Netflix just need to find a way to get more licenses so they can get more movies
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Netflix has Star wars Rogue one on Netflix as well.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you know, it was only 8 months i was cussing out amazon for their terrible product, but they really caught up recently. Some quality series, newer movies and some good exclusives. Surprised it took them so long to be honest.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just pay for Cable TV you ? bums

This has nothing to do with cable.. netflix has exclusive content, that's why its so popular
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    This is isn't anywhere near as scary as it sounds. Tons of giant companies are in "debt". Apple is currently 100 billion dollars in debt.
    They are operating in debt but still generating profits, the issue would only be if their profits couldn't cover their repayments and that is not the case here. They are still solvent in terms of production assets, they just owe their investors back. This is not like Chapter 11 or even outright bankruptcy levels whatsoever, they are basically spending and investing more but are still making enough to keep making repayments. As long as they continue their projected growth they're fine, this is like accusing your friend who works on Wall Street of being broke because he doesn't have 20 dollars in his wallet even though he's getting 200k at the end of the month.

• StoneColdMikey
    Options
    Y'all bunch of idiots
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options

Netflix has arguably the best original content right now next to hbo. Ain't ? abot itnknockoff
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ? gonna have to start paying when they come over and chill
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

$14.5 billion is estimated for what they may pay to potential content makers in the next 5 years.

Looking out 3 years - it's est $12 billion - they did $8b in revenues in 2016, interest they paying on the LOC and LT debt ain't ? right now (key word)

Finally someone read the article. All these hot takes and no one read the article.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Finally someone read the article. All these hot takes and no one read the article.

But article itself is a hot take
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of yall missing the point about original content.

When Netflix came out, the business model and advertisement was pushing it as a replacement for cable.

Last few years they changed that and are not being seen as its own entity that you gotta have regardless of cable. Thats why they have all this original content now.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kodi. Time is ticking on that.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is isn't anywhere near as scary as it sounds. Tons of giant companies are in "debt". Apple is currently 100 billion dollars in debt.

Yeah but doesn't Apple have close to like 500 billion in assets or something like that? I don't think Netflix has nearly those kind of assets. I'm sure they got money for them to produce so many shows but IDK, Netflix is probably gonna raise prices even more down the line. I could be wrong but I doubt it.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keep it buck netflix stinks

I wish i had hulu

Most of them marvel shows stinks (daredevil was the best)

Few shows (OITNB amd the pablo/office/breakingbad)

Movie choices stink...85% of original content ass