mother!

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Watch the scary first trailer for Darren Aronofsky’s mother!

MARK ALLISON

https://youtu.be/BIR6RyKeVB0

Darren Aronofsky has been keeping his new movie shrouded in secrecy, so we were very excited indeed to be able to take a peek at the first trailer for mother!, which is due to debut in UK cinemas on 15 September. Jennifer Lawrence features heavily in the chilling 29 second teaser, while brief glimpses are given to co-stars Ed Harris, Michelle Pfieffer and Javier Bardem who looks rather upset indeed.

Following an atmospheric opening, the final moments descend into a terrifying cacophony of sound and image, which is often the way Aronofsky structures his movies. Although details are scarce at this point, the briefs snippet footage promises a disturbing tone which echoes Aronofsky’s previous work in his 2010 psychological horror-thriller, Black Swan. Which is very okay by us.

mother! will receive its world premiere at the 74th Venice International Film Festival.

http://lwlies.com/articles/watch-scary-first-trailer-darren-aronofskys-mother/

Comments

• lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not going to bother with the teaser, i'm sold on the cast and concept alone.

Always rooting for Aronofsky.

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Oh ? . Ok Darren.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think I wanna see this

I like psychological thrillers I wonder what white people problems are in this movie
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    This ? just looks like Rosemary's Baby and I honestly can't stand this potato face ? . Haven't watched one non-X-Men movie with her since Winter's Bone and Aronofsky lost me a couple of movies ago anyway.

LOL.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options
    Anyone planning on watching this? I'm hoping to watch it later today.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

It's not playing near me yet but ima try to when it does
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plot sounds wack
    and the ending too
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wana sew it tho for my view
  • lazypakman
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yeah i'm going early afternoon today as soon as i get off work.

My levels have been building for this all week.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    heard it was psuedo intellectual trash.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Plot sounds wack
    and the ending too

What is it
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like a movie about the occult
  • lazypakman
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If your cine literate you'll suss this movie out in the opening scenes (it's all there), that was really the only dissapointment for me since i went into it blind.

You'll either ? with this film or you won't, i don't think there's much middle ground in that regards, personally for me it's his best film since 'the wrestler'.

The last 30 mins were a riot.

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just finished watching it.
    Seriously... WTF did I just watch? It literally felt like I was dragged kicking and screaming through the depths of Hades!

I'm still deciding if this is filmmaking at its best or just pretentious ? . A true definition of a Marmite film, but then that's Aronofsky for you.
  • lazypakman
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Seriously... WTF did I just watch? It literally felt like I was dragged kicking and screaming through the depths of Hades!

I'm still deciding if this is filmmaking at its best or just pretentious ? . A true definition of a Marmite film, but then that's Aronofsky for you.

I walked out of the showing with a smile on my face, firstly because in this day and age for a major studio to even sanction this had a me a little flabbergasted, if this was anything other than an american production an eyelid wouldn't have been batted.

I didn't think it was pretentious at all, i felt like theres a number of ways you can read into the movie if you choose to.

Definitely one thats a conversation piece, the more i think about it the more i like it.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Options

So was it a happy ending?..
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meester wrote: »

Lol..
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL... I haven't seen or heard a film like this to divide so much opinion. All I've heard is you like it or you don't. No in between

It's made me curious to go see it
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

I walked out of the showing with a smile on my face, firstly because in this day and age for a major studio to even sanction this had a me a little flabbergasted, if this was anything other than an american production an eyelid wouldn't have been batted.

I didn't think it was pretentious at all, i felt like theres a number of ways you can read into the movie if you choose to.

Definitely one thats a conversation piece, the more i think about it the more i like it.

I'm with you in that it's great for a major studio to take a chance on a film this daring, especially with the amount of ? that Hollywood knocks out on a regular basis.

The more I read about the film the more I'm coming around to it, and being totally honest I'll probably watch it again at the cinema. It's definitely one hell of a ride when you're watching it.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL... I haven't seen or heard a film like this to divide so much opinion. All I've heard is you like it or you don't. No in between

It's made me curious to go see it

It's definitely worth watch.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options
    Meester wrote: »

Watch it and find out.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard that it was ? juice with a laughable twist ending.
  • lazypakman
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

I'm with you in that it's great for a major studio to take a chance on a film this daring, especially with the amount of ? that Hollywood knocks out on a regular basis.

The more I read about the film the more I'm coming around to it, and being totally honest I'll probably watch it again at the cinema. It's definitely one hell of a ride when you're watching it.
    This film is messing with my head man lol, so i watched 'the fountain' last night and within 20 mins the thematic parrables are pretty much identical, it really is a counterpart to this if you put them side by side, it's essentially the same story but in a completely different manner, I haven't bothered to see if anyone else has maybe picked up on this, but that link is definitely there.

As for 'mother!', well putting aside the stuff that goes into the deep end with the symbolism, and looking at it purely narratively what was your take on it?

I haven't read up anything online yet but i do feel like watching it again like yourself to try and plug in a few gaps in the story, actually look at it from the perspective of bardem's character since the film on first viewing forces you to watch it mostly from hers.The actual cycle in the story is based around him, but start picking that apart and you could call complete ? on the story lol (the rules around his immortality make no sense at all), Aronofsky i think said he wrote this over a five day period and it kind of shows.I loved it on a technical level though.

That ? of the babys neck was gnarly....that one's gonna stick with me for a while.