Build a dynasty around 1 player..who will it be?

2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in From the Cheap Seats
You are tasked to build a dynasty.

You get to pick any player from any era you want to build a team around...

it can be any sport.

Who do you start with?

Tom Brady?
Joe Montana?
Jerry Rice?
Barry Sanders?
Lebron?
Jordan?
Gretzy?
Pele?

only one person to build around.

Comments

• R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who the ? is not gonna pick jordan?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    imagine Sanders with a line
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele
    Maradona
    Zidane
    Romario
    Messi
    Ronaldo (brazil)
    Ronaldo (portugal
    Lothar Mathaus
    Franc Beckenbaur
    Theirry Henry
    Mario Kempes
    Gianluca Buffon
    Jordan

giphy.gif
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • All5KingDrive
    All5KingDrive Members Posts: 250 ✭✭
    R2_163 wrote: »
    who the ? is not gonna pick jordan?

Me.

I'd choose...

Magic
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Question.

Tom Brady has 5 rings, he's 5-2 in Superbowls while Jordan has 6 rings, he's 6-0 in Championships.

But I think being 5-2 is better than being 6-0 because he made it to the Championship one more time, even though he lost.

There are other people in Basketball that have 6 rings. Scottie Pippen and Robert Horrey to name a few. Also Bill Russell and all those cats on the 50s and 60s Celtics.

So there are people in Basketball with 6 rings, but there's nobody in football thats 5-2 in Superbowls except Brady.

I'd say Tom Brady should be ranked higher in his respective sport than Michael Jordan because there are people that did what Jordan did, but nobody in football has done what Tom Brady did.

I'm building a team around Tom Brady.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brady had to rely on his teammates more than Jordan did on his. Basketball and football is apples and oranges as a team game.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ronaldo (Brazil). Dude has won everywhere on the highest level he's been. Even when he was fat and blew out his knees he was amazing. The most gifted soccer player i've ever seen with size, speed, power, touch, poise,etc. If dude played in this era he would be scoring 50 goals a season imo.
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take Kobe... build around him we winning ships
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Brady had to rely on his teammates more than Jordan did on his. Basketball and football is apples and oranges as a team game.

so you saying a gifted NBA player with ? poor players around can still stand out vs a gifted NFL player with ? poor players around him?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

so you saying a gifted NBA player with ? poor players around can still stand out vs a gifted NFL player with ? poor players around him?

Yes, the 2001 Philadelphia 76ers and 2007 Cleveland Cavaliers immediately come to mind.

Marginal or below talent built around one star.

Football is much more of a team sport you can have a great offense but if your defense can't stop anyone you not winning squat. For as great as Brees has been if our defense had been better 2011 we woulda won the superbowl then too. That Niners game still haunts me.

I don't give a ? how good the QB or RB if their line is trash they ain't going nowhere.

Barry Sanders probably would have had all those records if he hadn't retired yet never sniffed winning a superbowl or even made it to the big game.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited August 2017

Clear as day. Great NBA players will be great to a degree regardless of the situation they're in. Great Quarterbacks Can't do ? without their supporting cast.
  • 5 Grand

Clear as day. Great NBA players will be great to a degree regardless of the situation they're in. Great Quarterbacks Can't do ? without their supporting cast.

But I thought the premise of the thread is to "build a dynasty around 1 player". We're not talking about who played on the best team, we're talking about if you could start with one player and build a team around him. I pick Tom Brady because that's pretty much what happened. Nobody from the Superbowl from 2002 was still on the team in the 2017 Superbowl except for Brady.
  • Olorun22
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Crude_ wrote: »

Yes, the 2001 Philadelphia 76ers and 2007 Cleveland Cavaliers immediately come to mind.

Marginal or below talent built around one star.

Football is much more of a team sport you can have a great offense but if your defense can't stop anyone you not winning squat. For as great as Brees has been if our defense had been better 2011 we woulda won the superbowl then too. That Niners game still haunts me.

I don't give a ? how good the QB or RB if their line is trash they ain't going nowhere.

Barry Sanders probably would have had all those records if he hadn't retired yet never sniffed winning a superbowl or even made it to the big game.

i actually agree with you....been saying this for bit
  • 2stepz_ahead
    5 Grand wrote: »

But I thought the premise of the thread is to "build a dynasty around 1 player". We're not talking about who played on the best team, we're talking about if you could start with one player and build a team around him. I pick Tom Brady because that's pretty much what happened. Nobody from the Superbowl from 2002 was still on the team in the 2017 Superbowl except for Brady.

sooo can Mike vick be just as good with Tom Brady's team around him?
  • Olorun22
    Lawrence Phillips
  • PanchoYoSancho

There's a lot less to build in the NBA than there is in the NFL, so I give it to the NBA player by default.
  • 2stepz_ahead

There's a lot less to build in the NBA than there is in the NFL, so I give it to the NBA player by default.

but who is easier to shutdown? NBA player or NFL player or soccer player .....etc
  • 5 Grand

Mike Vick isn't on Tom Brady's level
  • 2stepz_ahead

so are you saying that you can have a great team around a mediocre player... an that player will still be mediocre?
  • 5 Grand

so are you saying that you can have a great team around a mediocre player... an that player will still be mediocre?

Well there have been teams that won the Superbowl with above average quarterbacks, but not necessarily elite. I remember in 1986 The Bears destroyed the Patriots in the Superbowl. Their QB, Jim McMahon did his job but you never heard from him again. He was basically a good QB that did his job but the rest of the team was responsible for the trophy.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ? with this question is a lot of those players listed played either with all time great coaches (Phil, Belichek,etc) or on all time great teams. How many have won outside those Lakers, Pats, Bulls, Niners, Oilers,etc systems? I'm taking the athlete who has shown they can perform or carry anything to a finals.

Just saying!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    I'm surprised this ain't doing number....

but it's a hard question.

but I thought ? would stand up...guess not