Options

Comments

• power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Alright, I'm going to call this. Not enough people voted when asked in an earlier post, so I just made the adjustments I said I'd make. That brings his score to 42.

I actually went back through the topics and averaged the scores given just cause I'm curious to see how they match up. I threw out scores with no explanations. Those were mostly all 5s, but there were a couple trollishly low scores too. Here are the final averages:

Jay-Z - 38.3
    BIG - 40.3
    Pac - 36.8
    Nas - 42.1

The hilarious thing is that the people that insisted that averaging was the way I should do it were Jay and Pac dickriders. Well Jay's score went up, but so did Biggie's and the Nas score is the same, so he's still behind them. And Pac actually fell about a point while everyone else went up. So what excuse do you dudes have now? I'm carrying both sets of scores through the topics now.

You can't do that.

You can't throw away scores because you don't agree with them. Imagine if politics worked like that. Two candidates running for an election and the person in charge of counting the votes threw out votes that they disagreed with.

Count all the votes or stop this foolishness.

Yeah I can. I've said before that the only scores that have any meaning are the ones with explanations. If someone comes in here and says "So and so is the GOAT, all 5s." I'm not counting it. If they do like you did and give all fives but actually explain, then I counted it. It's not about whether I agree with the scores or not. I didn't agree with most of them. It's about whether the person attempted to go by the rules of the categories or just blindly gave the max score to boost their favorite rapper.

You didn't say that in your O/P.

I gave Biggie all 5s. If you said that I have to give explanations I would have, but you didn't say that do I didn't.

I know I didn't say it in the OP. I wasn't averaging anything at first remember. I didn't even want people to give their own scores. I was providing a baseline score, and I wanted people to provide arguments in order to get that score closer to something everyone agreed with. That's still the ultimate goal of these threads. I just calculated those averages because people have been asking for them and because I was curious. I left out the unexplained all 5 scores because they aren't really in line with the spirit of the thread at all.

2. No one person's vote is more important than another person

This alone pulls out objectivity because 90% of this board has no idea how to be objective. They regularly let ? that has nothing to do with the music affect their opinions.

Exactly. People just can't seem to accept that for these threads I purposely made it so that objectivity was more important than equal representation. We get plenty of popularity contest threads on here. That's not what I wanted to do.

Yeah, but when I said for impact Nas should get a 5 for Illmatic and all the mc that are inspired by him. Both friends and foes, you started talking about impact in other ? . Is it about the music or not?

I pointed out that one album couldn't get you a 5 and gave you everything else considered for the Impact score. All were music and HipHop related. Plus I said several times that I would up the Impact score and asked for input on the proposed score. At this point y'all just complaining to complain.

Nas had the whole Hip-Hop community debating if hip-hop was dead. He made it cool for the east and west coast to work together. Rapper from Planet Asia have redone his songs. Ezail , Mf Doom, 9 wonders and others have remixed whole albums. How is that not major impact?
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This site is full of Nas and Meek Mill stans. Yall disgust me

2Pac is the greatest to ever do this rap thing. Point blank period!
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas is pretty close to the perfect MC, but he doesn't deserve a perfect score.

Take Catalog for instance. He's got a big catalog and that is due to his longevity, so he deserves credit for that, but not every album in that catalog is strong. Nastradamus is pretty weak as albums from good artists go. And I personally think Double CDs are a bad decision in general, but even in the context of measure Street's Disciple against other Double CDs, it's one of the weaker ones. Compare that to someone like Pac. Sure, Illmatic is arguably better than any of Pac's albums, but all of Pac's studio albums are good. I don't believe he has the low points that Nas had which is why I gave him a 5.

2 bad albums out of 11 isn't a bad record. And Street Disciple wasn't as bad as Gift and a Curse. He had a lot of bangers on it too. Theif Theme, These are our heroes, Street Disciple, Disciples, Rest of my life, Moment in time, Nazereth Savage, U.B.R, War, Getting Married. I don't think it was that bad. I like it. And Nas have whole albums with themes. Hip-Hop is dead had a theme. Untitled, and ? son had a theme and so did Life is good. There are not too many rappers with 9 really great albums mix with at least 4-6 classic or critical acclaimed albums in their discography.

I said this before and I will say it again. Street's Disciple disk 1 is a classic by itself. Not one bad song on Disk 1. I'm surprised you didn't mention reason or Live Now. I agree SD is not as bad as some here make it out to be.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    jim1000 wrote: »

Take Catalog for instance. He's got a big catalog and that is due to his longevity, so he deserves credit for that, but not every album in that catalog is strong. Nastradamus is pretty weak as albums from good artists go. And I personally think Double CDs are a bad decision in general, but even in the context of measure Street's Disciple against other Double CDs, it's one of the weaker ones. Compare that to someone like Pac. Sure, Illmatic is arguably better than any of Pac's albums, but all of Pac's studio albums are good. I don't believe he has the low points that Nas had which is why I gave him a 5.

2 bad albums out of 11 isn't a bad record. And Street Disciple wasn't as bad as Gift and a Curse. He had a lot of bangers on it too. Theif Theme, These are our heroes, Street Disciple, Disciples, Rest of my life, Moment in time, Nazereth Savage, U.B.R, War, Getting Married. I don't think it was that bad. I like it. And Nas have whole albums with themes. Hip-Hop is dead had a theme. Untitled, and ? son had a theme and so did Life is good. There are not too many rappers with 9 really great albums mix with at least 4-6 classic or critical acclaimed albums in their discography.

I said this before and I will say it again. Street's Disciple disk 1 is a classic by itself. Not one bad song on Disk 1. I'm surprised you didn't mention reason or Live Now. I agree SD is not as bad as some here make it out to be.

You have 180 posts in 7 years. Who are you really?
  • jim1000
    Options

But 4 isn't a bad score though. 4 means that he stands out even among good to great rappers. And if he truly had 2 bad albums, 6 great albums, and 4 classics, he'd definitely get a 5. But objectively speaking, even as a Nas fan, I don't think his discography breaks down that favorably. I Am is actually one of my favorite Nas albums, but it's not even close to classic. The same goes for ? 's Son. He's got 2 or 3 classics, 2 or 3 subpar albums, and the rest are just good. That's more like a 4 than a 5.

2 or 3 subpar albums?? I will give you Nastradamus but what other album was subpar to you?? IAM is criminally underrated though. GS may not be a classic but its a damn great album and a very good follow up to Stillmatic. GS imo is damn near close to classic.
  • jim1000
    Options
    Also Nas got rappers like Cam and Jim Jones saying he was an influence on them as rappers. Prodigy said it too. J Cole, Dave East, Eziel too. They have classes on Nas lyrics in colleges. The Outlawz admitted they were happy when Pac made peace with Nas because he was one of their favorites. Game got into beef with 50 because he was a Nas fan. He got a classic movie. A couple documentaries too.

And to add to this you have southern rappers that have Nas high on their list. Scarface had Nas number 6 on his list while his top 5 had all OG rappers from the 80s. Nas definitely gets love from all regions. Nas is also HUGE in Africa. Dude is definitely an international Superstar for a guy that is so low key.
  • jim1000
    Options
    Ok, no one agrees with the Impact score. I asked if 4 was a good compromise. You guys are making good arguments that it deserves to be raised, but a 5 would put him on Jay and 2Pac's level and above Big based on previous scoring. Do ya'll really think that Nas holds that much influence in the industry? I mean let's be real, someone like 50 has had more of an impact than Nas. His music hasn't been as good or meaningful, but for a while every move he made had an effect on pretty much everyone else coming out in NYC. Can you really say that's ever been the case for Nas?

50 has more impact than Nas in the Hip hop industry?? My ? you can't be serious with this. How many people have you heard say that 50 was their favorite rapper?? What impact did 50 bring besides vitamin water??
  • jim1000
    Options

Ok, but can you admit that you are a little biased with your assessments?

SD is typically spoken about nearly as badly as Nastradamus, so that's two that are bad.

And who calls all those albums classics? Mostly Nas fans right? What average Hip Hop fan is running around talking about the Lost Tapes or ? 's Son are classics? Hell, I'm a Nas fan and I don't even believe that. I think the majority of his albums are good to great, but he has some that aren't all that. As a result, I'd say a 5 is high for his Catalog, but what about a 4.5. That would mean that he for sure has a Top 10 Catalog. Would you agree with that?

If Streets Disciple and Nastradamus are Nas's worst albums then he gets a strong 5 for catalog. Those two albums are better than most people's albums.

And if you compare those two albums to anybody else who has a 20+ year career, anybody else probably has two or three albums that aren't as strong as their best albums

LL Cool J
    Eminem
    Jay Z
    Rakim
    KRS One
    Kool G Rap
    Masta Ace
    Snoop
    Ice Cube
    Outkast
    The Roots
    WuTang (Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwon)
    The Lox (Jadakiss, Styles P, Sheek Louch)
    Cam'ron
    Too $hort
    Master P
    E-40

^^^ Thats 20 artists that have been around for 20+years. How many of them can you say have a better catalog than Nas?

TBH I'd say none.
  • jim1000
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »

Oh so I need a million post to be cool now?? Got it.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options

Not a million, but definitely more than 180 in 7 years.

Something is fishy about you popping up now, spamming the thread with all the Nas love.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But 4 isn't a bad score though. 4 means that he stands out even among good to great rappers. And if he truly had 2 bad albums, 6 great albums, and 4 classics, he'd definitely get a 5. But objectively speaking, even as a Nas fan, I don't think his discography breaks down that favorably. I Am is actually one of my favorite Nas albums, but it's not even close to classic. The same goes for ? 's Son. He's got 2 or 3 classics, 2 or 3 subpar albums, and the rest are just good. That's more like a 4 than a 5.

2 or 3 subpar albums?? I will give you Nastradamus but what other album was subpar to you?? IAM is criminally underrated though. GS may not be a classic but its a damn great album and a very good follow up to Stillmatic. GS imo is damn near close to classic.

I personally don't think Street's Disciple is all that great. It has some good tracks, but a lot of filler.
    Ok, no one agrees with the Impact score. I asked if 4 was a good compromise. You guys are making good arguments that it deserves to be raised, but a 5 would put him on Jay and 2Pac's level and above Big based on previous scoring. Do ya'll really think that Nas holds that much influence in the industry? I mean let's be real, someone like 50 has had more of an impact than Nas. His music hasn't been as good or meaningful, but for a while every move he made had an effect on pretty much everyone else coming out in NYC. Can you really say that's ever been the case for Nas?

50 has more impact than Nas in the Hip hop industry?? My ? you can't be serious with this. How many people have you heard say that 50 was their favorite rapper?? What impact did 50 bring besides vitamin water??

Plenty of people said 50 was their favorite in his heyday, and while long term Nas probably wins out. There was a short time when 50 was in the limelight to a larger degree than Nas ever has been. It's not necessarily a good thing, but he pretty much made beef and dissension the "in" thing in NYC for a while.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Plenty of people said 50 was their favorite in his heyday, and while long term Nas probably wins out. There was a short time when 50 was in the limelight to a larger degree than Nas ever has been. It's not necessarily a good thing, but he pretty much made beef and dissension the "in" thing in NYC for a while.

Actually when Ether dropped Nas had the throne for about a year. This was before GRODT. Eminem had more pop appeal and sold more records, but amongst Hip Hop heads Nas owned 2002.

He released 3 classics in the span of one year (Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, ? 's Son)
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Actually when Ether dropped Nas had the throne for about a year. This was before GRODT. Eminem had more pop appeal and sold more records, but amongst Hip Hop heads Nas owned 2002.

He released 3 classics in the span of one year (Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, ? 's Son)

True, like I said, the most shine Nas has ever gotten was as a result of his battle with Jay. And by shine, I'm just talking about general acclaim. ? HipHop fans have always given him his due.
  • jim1000
    Options

Not a million, but definitely more than 180 in 7 years.

Something is fishy about you popping up now, spamming the thread with all the Nas love.

Why do I need more than 180?? Who are you the administrator?? I've been active and read a lot of threads here but I don't post as much but that doesn't make me any less of a hip hop fan than you. I didn't know that ? are actually checking for post count on these forums now. SMDH!!
  • jim1000
    Options

I personally don't think Street's Disciple is all that great. It has some good tracks, but a lot of filler.

In short term yes which was around 2003 but overall impact?? Even 50 himself will tell you that Nas has more impact than him. Even his own soldier Banks put Nas in his top 5 and excluded 50 from his list.

SD may not be all that great to you which is fine and I understand that because of disc 2 but I wouldn't go as far and say it was subpar overall.
  • power_wisdom
    Options

True, like I said, the most shine Nas has ever gotten was as a result of his battle with Jay. And by shine, I'm just talking about general acclaim. ? HipHop fans have always given him his due.

Wrong Nas got more shine off If I ruled the world. Nas was ice cold in 2000 and people still was waiting for an album. That's why Jay went after him, either though he wasn't even popping at the time. People are still patiently waiting on a Nas album. Can you say that about 50 Cent. Do the same amount of people really care right now. And he sold more records at one time than Nas. But a Nas album is more anticipated with out a single out, then a 50 cent or G-Unit. That impact when people are fiending for a album after 5 years of very little to no music.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Wrong Nas got more shine off If I ruled the world. Nas was ice cold in 2000 and people still was waiting for an album. That's why Jay went after him, either though he wasn't even popping at the time. People are still patiently waiting on a Nas album. Can you say that about 50 Cent. Do the same amount of people really care right now. And he sold more records at one time than Nas. But a Nas album is more anticipated with out a single out, then a 50 cent or G-Unit. That impact when people are fiending for a album after 5 years of very little to no music.

I wouldn't say Nas got more shine off If I Ruled the World. People still debated who won and whether Ether was the greatest diss track for years. Then it set up the two of them working together, which was a big thing. All of that was bigger than If I Ruled the World. For that song he got the shine that artists typically get for hit singles. The battle with Jigga has gone beyond that. It's one of the biggest moments in Hip Hop ever.

Nas still makes good music. 50 mostly just trolls on social media. Of course more people anticipate a Nas album. If 50 had continued to hone is craft and not relied on beef and gimmicks to stay ready, he probably would have maintained a fanbase that kept him relevant musically too. That said, I still stand by the belief that at a time 50 damn near single handedly changed NYC rap culture (arguably for the worse). Nas' music was always highly respected, and it inspired other rappers to do better, but there was never really a time where the industry moved based on how Nas move. Nobody was changing record release dates because Nas was dropping.
  • power_wisdom
    Options

I wouldn't say Nas got more shine off If I Ruled the World. People still debated who won and whether Ether was the greatest diss track for years. Then it set up the two of them working together, which was a big thing. All of that was bigger than If I Ruled the World. For that song he got the shine that artists typically get for hit singles. The battle with Jigga has gone beyond that. It's one of the biggest moments in Hip Hop ever.

Nas still makes good music. 50 mostly just trolls on social media. Of course more people anticipate a Nas album. If 50 had continued to hone is craft and not relied on beef and gimmicks to stay ready, he probably would have maintained a fanbase that kept him relevant musically too. That said, I still stand by the belief that at a time 50 damn near single handedly changed NYC rap culture (arguably for the worse). Nas' music was always highly respected, and it inspired other rappers to do better, but there was never really a time where the industry moved based on how Nas move. Nobody was changing record release dates because Nas was dropping.

Nas hasn't put out a body of work in 5 years. 50 put out the Kannan ep and a bunch of G-unit eps. So there no reason why by your logic 50 isn't in demand due to inactivity. Nas has the better Goat album, more infamous beef. Better discography. Who has put an album out the same day as Nas? He is celebrated not just in the East, but the south and west coast. After 20 years he is still more relevant than rappers like 50, Cam, Mase, etc. His impact is his legacy for creativity, lyricism, storytelling and great albums.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I give Nas all 5's but this is too far, there's weak ? all over that first disc
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care what anybody says, Nastradamus and Streets Disciple are 4 mic albums.

Each album had some duds, but Nas is such a great rapper that his rhymes make up for any liabilities.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No way was the hype of Jay and Nas working together bigger than If I ruled the World. I know you want to justify your score for impact but cmon
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disc: 1
    Intro
    A Message To The Feds, Sincerely, We The People
    Nazareth Savage

American Way - Nas feat. Kelis
    These Are Our Heroes
    Disciple
    Sekou Story - Nas feat. Scarlett
    Live Now - Nas feat. Scarlett

Rest Of My Life
    Just a Moment - Nas feat. Quan
    Reason - Nas featuring Emily
    You Know My Style
    Disc: 2
    Suicide Bounce - Nas featuring Busta Rhymes
    Street's Disciple - Nas feat. Olu Dara
    U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography Of Rakim)

Virgo - Nas featuring Ludacris and Doug E. Fresh
    Remember The Times (Intro)
    Remember The Times
    The Makings Of A Perfect ?
    Getting Married
    No One Else In The Room - Nas featuring Maxwell
    Bridging the Gap - Nas feat. Olu Dara
    War - Nas featuring Keon Bryce
    Me & You (Dedicated To Destiny)
    Thief's Theme
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

I wish the OG version of Disciple on there. ? kinda hurt when I heard the LP version's beat. But other than that you're right.
  • jim1000
    Options

I give Nas all 5's but this is too far, there's weak ? all over that first disc

My ? name one weak ? on the first disc?? Now the 2nd disc has some songs I couldn't care for or wasn't feeling but that 1st disc was fire.