• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only thing i liked about this ? was how cool the Demon Ryuk looked
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    meh,

i quite enjoyed it...maybe ? i havent watched the anime yet so i will go head and binge that now.

decent film, wont be watching it again tho

Oh and that demon was creepy as ? , great cgi
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

He is not a demon, he is a Shinigami. They are nothing like demons.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

He is not a demon, he is a Shinigami. They are nothing like demons.

got him. He is the ? of death ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was trash. I might have been pretty good if they made it into a series, but trying to squeeze that long ass ? into a single movie was stupid. They had to take weird liberties with story and the pacing was terrible. The movie felt like one of those unabridged videos where they squeeze a whole story in a quarter of the time.
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If I recall correctly, Light was a master manipulator, had his girlfriend and Misa Misa carrying out his orders while not giving much regard about their wellbeing.

In this movie, that young lady had him whipped from the very start. That is where the movie lost me.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mikelewis wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, Light was a master manipulator, had his girlfriend and Misa Misa carrying out his orders while not giving much regard about their wellbeing.

In this movie, that young lady had him whipped from the very start. That is where the movie lost me.

Pretty much all the characters were screwed up.

In the anime:
    Light was a master manipulator not just a whiny kid that found the book and couldn't handle the consequences.
    Ryuk was nowhere near as combative towards Light.
    His girl was devoted to him and basically worshipped him. She would never have constantly tried to emasculate him.
    L always maintained his composure and was not nearly as neurotic.

I understand that sometimes you have to make changes, but character changes like this kind of take away from the whole story. I mean the first part of DeathNote is a chess match between Kira and L. That's basically the whole point of the story. They completely took that away in this movie.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But 8.5 though
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having never read the manga or watched the anime I thought it was dope AF

I'm going to back track now but as a stand alone movie it got me interested in the series
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chi Snow wrote: »
    Having never read the manga or watched the anime I thought it was dope AF

I'm going to back track now but as a stand alone movie it got me interested in the series

If you liked this movie you should love the series. The movie was basically the series without the good parts.

Hahahahaha
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off all you smug fake ass anime heads can suck my ? ...

I've read countless manga, books, and comics that got adapted into tv shows anime, and movies.....They always change ? ....And the screen version is often altered heavy from the written....

So of course a movie is going to be much different than the anime....But in the core of the story...they got it right...

Death note as a whole is about perceptions of justice.

Light felt as Kira he was true justice.
    L felt as he was on the side of justice.
    And everybody else was stuck in between.

The cops who didn't want to catch Kira cuz he made their jobs easier. The people who worshiped him.

And ryuk finding it all amusing....

I feel like they captured that well.

People gotta stop thinking that an adaptation has to exactly match source material to be good.

It's just not true.

Death note was a good movie. They changed a ? load, but it was still good.

The Dragon ball z movie was a horrible adaptation

Street fighter, Mario brother's...? like that

This one was good....y'all just tryna sound like elitist cuz y'all watched one anime

I stand behind my 8.5....it worked....it entertained

And ? y'all for making me explain myself.....
  • Dupac
    Options
    Same here bro...

But seriously...

They changed the personalities of the main characters.....But it's not like they became impossible to follow....their motives and arcs were amazing

They took out a ? load to make an hour forty minutes movie....But still, it worked,,I loved the tempo....it a directed well...

I feel like everyone involved knew the source material but decided to do it on their own interpretation....it worked for me. It was good. I thoroughly liked it.

• Ajackson17
    Options
    Love you Du and all, but this isn't smug. We got that, but we think it was poorly done and horribly done. Deathnote was a genius cat and mouse of chess, this movie wasn't even checkers not even tic tac toe. It wasn't a horrific movie, but it was a backhand to us fans and to the audience who don't watch anime to understand why we love this series. The changing of the characters at their root is another disappointment.
  • Dupac
    Options
    Yes but there was a still a great story being told, and the cat mouse game was still fairly intense...

Yea the anime excelled on those levels, but the movie still delivered. All the performances were believable, passionate and damn good...

I recently saw a classic Japanese movie called throne of blood I think...at the museum..great movie...great art exhibit...

Anyway..like 20mins in I was like

"I dead ass think this is Macbeth"

And sho enough this movie borrowed damn near everything from Macbeth....And is classically considered one of the better adaptations....

Adaptations happen.

How accurate is unimportant.

How good of a stand alone is.

The movie is good.
  • Dupac
    Options
    I mean, the only people who I've seen who don't like it, have seen the anime.

To me,, that means y'all smug.

The movie is good. People who haven't seen the anime agree.

Y'all have an inability to separate the two. They can be totally different and still both be good.

I mean there are people who hate the anime bcuz of things changed from the manga

There are folk who didn't like the anime till it became dubbed

People are weird. Good is good.

It was a good movie.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Dupac wrote: »
    I mean, the only people who I've seen who don't like it, have seen the anime.

To me,, that means y'all smug.

The movie is good. People who haven't seen the anime agree.

Y'all have an inability to separate the two. They can be totally different and still both be good.

I mean there are people who hate the anime bcuz of things changed from the manga

There are folk who didn't like the anime till it became dubbed

People are weird. Good is good.

It was a good movie.

I wouldn't like it as a standalone movie. I have a lot of discrepancies with the movie besides being a death note movie. I can be smug but this ain't a smug moment. We just didn't like it and we are gonna keep on moving lol.
  • Dupac
    Options
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh....i liked it.

Hefa got what she deserved tho.

Her name would've been in that book right after that hefa suggested I ? my own Dad. Ain't no forgiveness on that.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was actually shocked how breath of job they did with him
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess I'm smug as ? lol
  • yung$
    yung$ Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm liked it never seen the anime. If they did a series it kit get the aspect and detail you guys want. A stand alone I liked it.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yung$ wrote: »
    I'm liked it never seen the anime. If they did a series it kit get the aspect and detail you guys want. A stand alone I liked it.

Check the Anime. No movie can accurately capture Death Note.
  • yung$
    yung$ Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    yung$ wrote: »

Check the Anime. No movie can accurately capture Death Note.

Is the anime on Netflix?