Mass Appeal's 22 Twos....

Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited August 2017 in The Reason
This appreciation of the rap duo was inspired by the sight of Havoc on stage at this summer’s Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival, shortly after Prodigy’s passing, repping the Mobb solo. When he stopped by MASS APPEAL HQ later to talk about that unforgettable show, he spoke about what it feels like to perform the songs that Mobb Deep wrote and recorded together without his right-hand man.

“It hurts to know that he’ll never be on stage with me again in the physical presence,” Havoc explained, alluding to the spiritual connection that exists between the greatest rap duos. “It kinda chokes me up when I sing his verses, but I’m just putting the energy out there for him and he’s still with me, you know, in the spiritual essence.”

It wasn’t long before we began reflecting on which rap duos belonged in the hip hop hall of fame. But please bear in mind that there’s rules to this ? . The aforementioned Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock would not qualify for this list because like Eric B & Rakim, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince or Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, there was only one primary rapper in those duos. We’ve also elected to leave out trios like Run-DMC, Salt-N-Pepa and De La Soul where the DJ is a prominent part of the group, featured equally on album covers and the like. Likewise, we’ve omitted solo rappers who sporadically came together, even those who created classics—disqualifying duos like Nas and AZ, Rae and Ghost, or Tyler, the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt. With a few notable exceptions, most of the pairs on this list are known primarily for their work together.

Even with such stringent guidelines, cutting this list down to a mere 22 was a difficult challenge, leading to some contentious staff meetings. We fully expect to get blazed in the comments, but that’s a price we’re willing to pay. Just remember we do this for the culture. Here is MASS APPEAL’s ranking of the Best Rap Duos of All Time.

22. BlackStar
21. Lil Wayne And Birdman
20. Smiff-N-Wessun/ Cocoa Brovaz
19. The Cool Kids
18. Kriss Kross
17. Das EFX
16. Webbie and Boosie
15. The Throne(Jay and Ye)
14. Dead Prez
13. Rae Shremmurd
12. Organize Konfusion
11. Run The Jewels
10. Big Tymers
9. MOP
8. Capone-N-Noriega
7. Ball & MJG
6. Clipse
5. Tha Dogg Pound
4. EPMD
3. UGK
2. Mobb Deep
1. Outkast

https://massappeal.com/best-rap-duos-all-time-22-twos/?utm_source=Mass+Appeal+Subscribers&utm_campaign=1922158b06-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_08_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fe77ab107b-1922158b06-106825565#black-star

Comments

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gum989 wrote: »
    Any list that has TWO appearances by Birdman can GTFOH.

Co-? -sign
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoop was pretty much a member of DPG.

Were Webbie and Boosie an actual duo?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobb Deep over UGK. Nah

Big Tymers top 10. Nope

If The Throne is Jay and Kanye then they might as well included Nas/AZ and especially Rae and Ghost cuz OB4CL ? on WTT.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Birdman and Wayne too. There reason for excluding some duos should apply to some of these folks too.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Rae Shm in front of Dead Prez?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the Throne are there, ? and Red should be too. Silly that Rae are higher than Dead Prez but these things always give at least a little lip service to the new generation
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Respect for the Run the jewels mention. 3 fire albums in. 2 of which are my personal classics. Time for them dudes to get they names mentioned on some list
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    This list is ass. No ? & Red, no Rae & Ghost plus Kriss Kross over BlackStar, Cool Kids & Smif & Wessun. I'm good b.
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Mobb Deep over UGK. Nah

Ch.... Mobb Deep is light years ahead of UGK! Matter of fact, a random verse by Prodigy (post Take Over) would ? over UGK's entire catalog! @#facts

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

i mean they didnt have a group name but yeah

81kTg8PNgkL._SY355_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know people hate birdman and some others on there but this ? was probably done by some kinda vote....its obviously not about sales or none of that ? , but Big Tymers have some heavy albums in the south.....if any southerners had anything to do with the vote, they were gonna be included....the "birdman and wayne" thing is just from him literally standing next to wayne for 15 years lol.....he shouldnt be up there twice but Big Tymers is a certified duo

oan i've never heard a black star or smiff n wessun record

only remember Das efx from watching videos
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the logic behind leaving out Run DMC or Salt N Pepa. Jam Master Jay and Spinderella didn't rap. In fact, I don't think Spinderella did anything except look good. I don't remember any scratching on any of Salt N Pepa's records. And Jam Master Jay only rapped on one song that I can remember (Pause).

How about Kid N Play? They weren't lyrical beasts but they had some success.

Cosign @KneeGro_DuperMan about Red and ?
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How the ? can you make a duo list and not even mention Double Trouble. The were first rhyme duo rapping in tandem and trading lines back in 78-79. Every rapper was by themselves or in a super group lead by a DJ. Double Trouble technically was the first rap twosome.

Another joke is Kid N Play being missing. Every little ? from my era wanted to be KNP with his best friend, cousin or bro. KNP had way more success than anyone in top 10. Cartoons, toys, blockbuster movies all Hip Hop themed. They introduced martin. Kid has iconic hairstyle. OH YEAH GET THE ? OFF THE IC AND TURN YOUR HIP HOP CARD IN RIGHT NOW IF YOU NEVER DID KNP DANCE OR JUMPED OVER YOUR LEG! U HAVE NO LIFE!! They are legends!!!!!!!!!
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    This reads like a Complex or Rolling Stones list. Get Drummers Ear all the way the ? outta here. Somebody at Mass Appeal should be fired for this.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any list that has TWO appearances by Birdman can GTFOH.

Birdman approves of this list because they put some respek on his name
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy Metal Kings (ill bill and vinnie paz) should be on there... Em and Royce??? Conway and WestsideGunn???

I think Dead Prez should be higher, I mean being at 14 is straight disrespectful, they ould be top 5 on that list...

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic behind leaving out Run DMC or Salt N Pepa. Jam Master Jay and Spinderella didn't rap. In fact, I don't think Spinderella did anything except look good. I don't remember any scratching on any of Salt N Pepa's records. And Jam Master Jay only rapped on one song that I can remember (Pause).

How about Kid N Play? They weren't lyrical beasts but they had some success.

Cosign @KneeGro_DuperMan about Red and ?

Run DMC where a group that JMJ was a big part of the group... If they left a rapper and DJ off the list they should really leave Run DMC of the list, especially as JMJ was an integral part of the group...
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they got the no.1 spot right. Even though thats not really hard. Cant no duo ? with Outkast
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Fast efx should be higher

And what about styles p and Jada?
  • warren98
    warren98 Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    You have the wrong Rae.
    It should be Rae and Ghost.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That list could easily be cut in half. These personal who I like articles vs. who actually impacted the culture, the music are nothing but fluff pieces.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Fast efx should be higher

And what about styles p and Jada?

Thats a 3 man group.

This list sucks.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heltah Skeltah?

No?, OK bye

lol