The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I think the movie will take place when Clark lent is sent by his boss to interview Bruce Wayne in Gotham or Bruce comes to metropolis. And that's how they meet.
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Clip from comic con.

tumblr_miyihgMODf1s75jilo1_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_mqa1xiAT1Z1qz4rgp.gif

Jesus bet not troll on some rapture ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never paid attention to this thread thought it was all hearsay but after the comi con vid its legit. Didn't think they was going to actually follow through with this........cant wait.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read this on yahoo. if only I knew how to copy and paste articles.
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn. Was really hoping they had established MOS in his universe first before they introduced bats. I was looking forward to a standalone Man of Steel 2. I think DC is taking a risk here....I would have established the Batman reboot first, then a second Superman movie, then I would go Batman/Superman
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aaaand all of the batman/superman threads are now in the DC thread. Who merges all of these?
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol the Bruce Wayne (almost wrote that as Bruse Wane lol) part is the part they need to worry about imo. You could stick any old in-shape guy in the batman suit, have him do a low voice and you have a decent batman. It doesn't seem like the hardest thing to act, but I may be wrong.

We don't even know how much of Bruce Wayne they'll show though, it could just be a bit at the beginning and a bit at the end.

if the action scenes are as good in MOS with batman in MOS2 then we got a winner. but it's gonna be hard to top that fight scene with batman....
    Alot of people want Michael Fassbender to be the next Batman, not a bad idea, at the very least he'd be a good Bruce Wayne, he just seems a bit too diminutive to stand alongside/against Cavill.

I was thinking Joel Edgerton, but then it hit me that Matt Damon would be the best choice. He's a bit older but maybe they can play it that way, he's familiar with shooting action scenes and is a great actor who can play intelligent really well. Plus I think people would be more accepting of him taking over as batman as opposed to a newer, younger, unproven actor.

People I don't want to see play batman: Armie Hammer, Channing Tatum, Ryan Gosling, Charlie Hunnam. But knowing how execs think, it'll probably be one of them.

he's a good choice, the bruce wayne character is tougher to play than the actual batman character. i think gosling would be great for the role, but he is kinda small, next to superman i think they want a bigger bodied dude playing batman (nh).
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/06/man-of-steel-dc-vs-marvel/66131/

Superman has one hell of a battle against General Zod in Man of Steel, which makes its maudlin way into theaters Friday. The two Kryptonians wrestle while zipping through the air, glass shattering as they go. Ultimately—spoiler alert—Superman wins. But as an agent of Warner Bros. and DC Comics, he actually has a bigger army to face: Marvel.

Together, Marvel and Disney have created a superhero empire over the last four years that bred the third highest grossing movie of all time, The Avengers. That's a lot for DC and its emboldened studio partners at Warner Bros. to live up to, but now they seem prepared to go to war with their own stable of superheroes. Indeed, a lot more rides on Man of Steel than the weekend ahead. Deadline's Nikki Finke already reported that a Superman sequel is on the "fast track" with Zack Snyder returning to direct, and David S. Goyer writing another screenplay, which should eventually put DC on track for an Avengers-like Justice League film. It all makes for a backstage franchise drama that might be just as exciting as what's enfolding on screen this summer—if non-stop destruction isn't your thing, feast your eyes on the complex Hollywood comic-book partnerships setting the table for many billion-dollar summers to come.

Back in 2008, when Iron Man came out, Marvel Studios outlined a plan that would eventually lead to The Avengers. Now with Disney overseeing development, the Marvel Universe is in Phase Two. Part of the reason Iron Man 3 was such a success in May (it has passed the one billion mark worldwide), had to do with Marvel and Disney's positioning: Viewers came back for more Tony Stark—and turned into the fifth largest global audience in film history—because they saw it as a kind of Avengers sequel.

"Man of Steel is crucial because it's their version of Iron Man, of setting up this universe where they can introduce other characters like a new Batman and a new Green Lantern," said El Mayimbe, the superhero scooplet king of movie site Latino Review, in an interview with The Atlantic Wire this week. As El Mayimbe explained, DC has a game of catchup ahead: Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, while clearly having done well for Warner Bros.—The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises both made around $1 billion worldwide—were considered a standalone entity, rather than part of any DC phase to come or having already past (even if Batman may begin again). And the 2011 attempt at the Green Lantern flopped; its worldwide gross of around $219 million barely surpassed its $200 million budget.

"Marvel got a five-year head start," El Mayimbe said. "Of course DC is going to be an underdog." Batman Begins, the first and least popular in Nolan's trilogy, came out just a year before Superman Returns, the 2006 effort to revive the man of steel. Bryan Singer's film is now considered a failure with a not-so-fantastic box office and middling reception. A franchise, Superman 2.0 never was. (It's worth noting, though, that Returns has a higher fresh value than Man of Steel does on Rotten Tomatoes.)

Overall, movies based on Marvel comics have made on average more than movies based on DC comics, according to a recent study by Bloomberg, which looked at Marvel movies starting in 1998 and DC movies starting in 1978. While the study includes the non-Disney Marvel movies—including the X-Men and Spider-man films, the rights to which are retained by Fox and Sony—according to Bloomberg's Nick Turner, "success of Marvel movies has given a boost to Walt Disney Co., which acquired Marvel Entertainment Inc. at the end of 2009 for about $4 billion." Disney, mind you, now also has Star Wars under its franchise umbrella.

Warner Bros. is now looking to get that kind of a boost from DC. Time Warner restructured how it controlled DC just after Disney bought Marvel Entertainment, but they didn't embark on the sort of Marvel-style plan. Now, as El Mayimbe pointed out to us, Warner Bros. has recently lost one of their huge franchises as Harry Potter has come to an end, and The Hobbit films will soon be over as well. (Unless, this happens—heaven forbid.) At The Wrap last night, Lucas Shaw and Brent Lang wrote of Warner Bros.: "The most stable studio in town has been anything but over the past few months, as questions swirl about the future of its film chief Jeff Robinov and the studio’s relationship with a key financing partner, Legendary Entertainment." DC is WB's chance to go big. Robinov told Entertainment Weekly's Anthony Breznican back in back in April that as for Man of Steel, "anything can live in this world." In fact, there are references to other DC characters in the film. Look for "Wayne Enterprises." Breznican speculated that they would reboot Batman.

But even if Man of Steel is a huge success—managing editor of IMDb Keith Simanton, in a phone interview, predicted a $120 million weekend, though adjusted that to around $108 million after the mixed reviews—DC and Warners might need to test out other superheroes to make this whole battle plan actually works. Simanton told the Wire he believes the critical movie for Marvel's success was not just Iron Man, but also Thor. He thinks DC needs to prove themselves with another character. And who could that be, he wonders? Wonder Woman, a famously difficult property to make? Even Joss Whedon couldn't make this work, and now he's over with Marvel. Perhaps Aquaman, who borders on the ridiculous, talking to fish? Yeah, we're not counting the Entourage one. Maybe the Flash is their best option, Simanton wondered. (Flash and Wonder Woman scripts have reportedly been in the writing stage.) And a Flash movie might not even happen, at least not right away. A source told The Wrap that if Man of Steel "does well, Warner Bros. can do Justice League including Superman, Superman vs. Batman and another Superman. It opens up at least three different fronts of potential sequels with great synergy for the company in theme parks, licensing and all that." According to that story, the idea for Warner Bros. seems like more Superman, then Justice League, then other characters.

As for this weekend's test, the response to Man of Steel has been varied. Some have panned it, while others have championed it. El Mayimbe, after seeing it, tweeted: "Marvel should be absolutely terrified of David Goyer — the unsung hero of the DCU." Man of Steel is relentlessly dark, which was to be expected with Nolan guiding as a producer. For all the talk of what Superman can do for the people of Earth, the movie is ultimately pessimistic, and decidedly unhopeful. Smiles come few and far between. The question now is: Will DC and Warner Bros. and Team Superman take that tone with them as they go forward, the hopes of multiple franchises and many, many millions depending upon it? It seems that way. As IMDb's Simanton said: "They've started to establish a world. That, hey, if and when a Justice League ever comes together it's not going to be super sunny Avengers." But they'll be ready to fight those Avengers, even in their gritty universe, at the box office. That is, if Metropolis ever recovers. Snyder and his gang basically leveled it.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DC's Superman-Batman Joint Movie: Desperation or Movie ? ?

http://news.yahoo.com/dcs-superman-batman-joint-movie-desperation-movie-? -145515053.html

Comic-Con is now over, but it was just beginning of the fight between Marvel and DC for the superhero movie crown after Warner Bros. and DC made the shocking announcement on Saturday that their 2015 followup to Man of Steel would feature both Superman and Batman. Not to be outdone, Marvel revealed the title and villain of their Avengers follow-up due out that same year. That may seem like small potatoes compared to a Superman and Batman movie but the reaction to their panels made it clear that DC is still the underdog in this fight.

Marvel Studios created a miraculously successful business model, which started with the first Iron Man film in 2008 and led up to the moneymaking bonanza of The Avengers in 2012. Man of Steel, out just this summer, was Warner Bros. and DC's attempt to establish the beginnings of their universe the same way Marvel did.

The big DC news was leaked before the panel ultimately got to confirm it in in what should have been exciting fashion. Harry Lennix, who played General Swanwick in Man of Steel, came out in Hall H to read a line from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns: "I want you to remember, Clark. In all the years to come. In all your most private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you." Then, as Darren Franich of Entertainment Weekly reported, "giant Superman logo appeared on the Hall H screen … and it was superimposed on the Batman logo." The film, like Man of Steel, will be helmed by Zack Snyder and written by David S. Goyer.

In Marvel's case it was more about showing off what they already had, and, boy, was it fun. Tom Hiddleston emerged in full costume as Avengers and Thor villain Loki, and had the entire crowd chanting his name. Though there was footage from the Thor and Captain America sequels and from the strange-sounding Guardian of the Galaxy, the big reveal was the Avengers follow-up's title and villain: Avengers: Age of Ultron. "If you were in the Hall, you knew who the hell Ultron was," Franich wrote. "If you were in the Hall, you were probably cheering."

El Mayimbe (a.k.a. Umberto González) of the fan site Latino Review broke down the differences between the panels. "In this corner, Marvel dropped GOTG footage, THOR footage, WINTER SOLDIER footage, & an AVENGERS 2 teaser. Those are serious haymakers," he wrote on Twitter, adding: "In this corner, DC drops some rinky ? BATMAN/SUPERMAN logo. 90 minute wait for a ? logo. Are you kidding me DC? Like seriously?"

Many pegged the Superman/Batman combo move as a hail marry. "It feels like WB is in a hurry, and slightly desperate," Anne Thompson wrote on her blog at Indiewire. "They aren't taking the slow painstaking time to establish these characters inside a unified DC comic book world." At MTV Kevin P. Sullivan wrote: "Anyone who would outright say that they have no interest in seeing Batman and Superman on the screen together is probably a horrible cynic, but the move on DC's part does feel somewhat desperate." Franich added: "You could argue that Batman/Superman is a desperation move. The studio has found success with a Superman film that felt an awful lot like a Batman film, and was made by many of the same people who made The Dark Knight; now they’re bringing Batman into the mix, putting him back on the big screen a mere three years after The Dark Knight Rises ended the most critically successful franchise in superhero history."

You can't deny that there's something thrilling about seeing Superman and Batman on screen together, but it also seems like an effort on Warner Bros. and DC's part to play catch-up really quickly, a cynical ploy to capture our hearts and our money. As people like Thompson and El Mayimbe remarked: the leadership guiding the DC plan isn't as strong as Marvel's. Man of Steel may have made over $630 million worldwide, but it wasn't exactly beloved by critics. Of course Marvel Studios—owned by Disney, after all—has an interest in money, but they've earned our attention, by making us care about more obscure characters in the comic-book canon. Ultron may have gotten cheers in Hall H, but he's not an instantly recognizable villain for the masses. But that sort of doesn't matter.

Marvel seems to be having fun on their road to billions, appealing to the geek heart of the genre. DC, on the other hand, seems to be asking for mainstream approval. Sure, everyone's interested in a Superman/Batman movie, even Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. "Look, we like being pioneers. We like taking chances first, and nothing indicates that success more than people trying to emulate it. It's the sincerest form of flattery, and the bonus is I now get to see a Batman/Superman movie," he told USA Today. That sure sounds kind of like gloating.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    yeah they should have made mos 2 first with us seeing how supes is working at daily planet and as clark kent before batman and superman
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was at comic con and that ? was great. 6500 people in that room everyone of them on their feet going crazy
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    I was at comic con and that ? was great. 6500 people in that room everyone of them on their feet going crazy

Even though this is the wrong thread, did you check out the trailers for the Marvel Phase 2 movies?
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »

Even though this is the wrong thread, did you check out the trailers for the Marvel Phase 2 movies?

Yeah I'll go in that thread now if u wanna know anything
  • intlhak
    intlhak Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Options

he's a good choice, the bruce wayne character is tougher to play than the actual batman character. i think gosling would be great for the role, but he is kinda small, next to superman i think they want a bigger bodied dude playing batman (nh).

I dont know about that. I think that depends on the Batman they are going to portray. If they go with the world's greatest detective they will have to cast someone who can do alot of ? acting as well as show some "Matix" level martial art skills.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    intlhak wrote: »

I dont know about that. I think that depends on the Batman they are going to portray. If they go with the world's greatest detective they will have to cast someone who can do alot of ? acting as well as show some "Matix" level martial art skills.

If they can't do the classic batman squinting eye they can kick rocks.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do get that feeling that they are trying to play catch up.
    They want to see all that money Marvel is seeing.
    Another MoS could've worked then jump into the World's Finest.
    I think it would be hard to do a Flash movie I just can see the running scenes being corny.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    They better pay Christian Batmayne Bale a trillion dollars to return , I don't wanna hear this recast ?

Something epic could be the reason he comes out of retirement.... man of steel could take place after the last batman
  • Copper
    Options
    Still think a wonder woman film is needed and a trinity film with superman Batman and wonder woman
  • Copper
    Options
    Dark knight trilogy should have been to justice league what iron man was to avengers....DC shot themselves in the foot with the stand alone ? and all the start and stalls of other characters now they playing ketchup
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    Honestly, I rather see the JL characters from the animated series. Jon Steward as GL is a no brainer for me.

Common was enlisted as Jon Stewart back in 2008. I wonder if that's still going to be the case.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/02/08/exclusive-common-confirms-hes-green-lantern-in-justice-league/
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess they're going to use a lot of slow motion camera technology for the Flash movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCRZzhbHH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU7iYYpSrlo

a-super-camera-slow-motion-300x225.gif