The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am i the only one that thinks Benedict Cumberbatch would ? it as batman ?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Gosling is a good fit for a younger Batman but he will never do this kind of movie. If they want to go older Brolin is the best out of that bunch. Only thing is I don't think he'd ever want to work on a project with a woman he just divorced (Diane Lane) and vice versa.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Gosling is a good fit for a younger Batman but he will never do this kind of movie. If they want to go older Brolin is the best out of that bunch. Only thing is I don't think he'd ever want to work on a project with a woman he just divorced (Diane Lane) and vice versa.

why would Martha Kent and Bruce Wayne be running into each other anyway?
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

why would Martha Kent and Bruce Wayne be running into each other anyway?

They've shared scenes together in the comic books before. It's not just having to shoot scenes together in a movie though; even if that doesn't happen he still has to be on the same press tour and taking cast promo pics with a woman who chose to divorce him. That ? would be real awkward.

• eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Karl urban should be batman he killed it in dredd
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brolin, MAYBE. Im not a fan of Gosling tho. Im saying tho, that dude from the first punisher movie would be a GOAT batman imo. This guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Heres a good article from IGN about a possible way to introduce the lesser known characters of the Justice League.

Hero Worship: The Flash Blazing Trails for a Shared DC Universe

A while back, before Man of Steel came out, I wrote a column about how the new film and the CW series Arrow should be connected. That it could act as the first building block of the inevitable shared universe that Warner Brothers is so eager to achieve after the success of The Avengers and such.

This week during the TCA 2013 summer press tour, the network unveiled something that I can’t help but construe as confirmation that they’re headed in that direction. They’ll be introducing Barry Allen -- the Flash -- in Arrow Season 2 and the 20th episode of the season will serve as a backdoor pilot for a spin-off TV series.

This is important for two reasons. One, it signifies that WB recognizes Arrow as the “in” to building a multi-property franchise. Two, it will act as the introduction of super powers on the show, which throughout Season 1, limited itself to “grounded” characters and tech. The grounded approach in particular, which executive producer Andrew Kreisberg confirmed would remain consistent in Flash, is the obvious link between these shows and Man of Steel.

Visually and conceptually, they are a near perfect match. All it would take is a mere mention of Metropolis and “aliens” and the connection is made. Perhaps the introduction of Flash will be the debut of superpowers on the show – the first time Ollie and friends have to deal with it -- but not the introduction of the concept of superpowers/other worlds in the show’s universe.

Of course, CW president Mark Pedowitz was coy about the whole thing, saying that while “there are no conflicts in any way, shape, or form” between the TV and movie universes, they "haven't had those discussions yet. That probably could happen, but they may exist in separate universes. We don't know yet." C’mon, Mark! You guys totally know!

What interests me even more is those rumors that were swirling around Comic-Con’s big Superman/Batman announcement – that a Flash film was planned for 2016 and Justice League for 2017. Though Superman/Batman was confirmed, concrete information on Flash and JLA remained elusive. Perhaps the announcement is being held until the new show is launched in 2014 and, hopefully, deemed a success.

If that’s the case, that still leaves plenty of time for the character to grow for a couple of years before he takes to the big screen, effectively leaving all of the origin stuff behind on the small screen and letting the movie build to a larger threat – not to mention the Justice League itself.

I’m in love with the idea of taking care of the origin stories on TV and then letting those characters shine on the big screen. This lets WB build their shared universe in a way that is not only effective but different from Marvel – something they need to be very aware of.

Of course, one issue with going this route could be a lack of star power. But as Pedowitz said at the press tour, “TV creates stars.” If WB plays their cards correctly, by the time Flash (or Wonder Woman or Green Arrow or any other characters with TV projects in various stages) hit the big screen, they’ll have earned a bit of star power.

More importantly, this could let superhero movies evolve a bit – instead of having to give us an origin story every time a new character gets a movie, maybe we can skip it and get right into the meat and potatoes of it all. That’s not to say origins are unimportant, but over a decade into the superhero movie phenomenon and I think we’ve had our fill of movies that hit the same beats with different players. Unlikely, but it’s nice to think about.

the-flash-610x926.jpg
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    nah, I don't see that working. first of all, if Smallville, which lasted a whopping 10 seasons, didn't get a movie I doubt Arrow would, especially before at least it's 5th or 6th season.

Second of all, having the origins on tv sounds kinda dumb. The writer makes it sounds like you have to spend an entire movie on the origins, a good 20-30 minutes of a 2-2 and a half hour movie and that ? is covered. You can't expect the movie go-ers to watch an entire series before they see the movie just to get the backstory. If you really wanna spend an entire movie on an origins story, just do what they did with wolverine and do it afterwards.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have to consider te medium and the audience. This is what people MUST understand.

Origin stories are necessry because not everyone follows comic books and other media the character appears in.

In the infinite arrogance of "real fans" they think you can skip hear things because everybody should know already or everybody is familiar already.

Especially characters like Flash and Green Arrow which are C level heroes in the DC Universe that hardly anyone outside out ? fans know.

I appreciate the creativity but I doubt it works. Just do the movie, when it becomes Justice League movie time they will be overshadowed by Batman and Superman anyway. Might as well give them some room to gain their own following in the films.
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Sa6oUUByE

watch this scene and tell me dude wouldn't ? it as bats
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I always felt like the New Captain Kirk would be a good Barry Allan Flash.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris pine would a cool bats too...
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whomever it is their gonna have to set him apart from bales batman....suit, vehicles and mannerisms because I can't remember a reboot of anything happening so close together when the previous was so successful and liked..
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jensen Ackles for clean boy batman

Or Jon Hamm for gruff looking batman
    Its a shame Jensen Ackles and the other guy from supernatural dont get more film roles. They have paid their dues
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about Idris elba? Their were rumors about him being James Bond awhile ago I think.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/08/08/bryan-cranston-lex-luthor/

Bryan Cranston is rumored for the Lex Luthor role. I will ? my pants if Walter White faces Superman.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/08/08/bryan-cranston-lex-luthor/

Bryan Cranston is rumored for the Lex Luthor role. I will ? my pants if Walter White faces Superman.

Jeremy-Renner.gif
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    "Say my name"

"Lex Luthor"

"You're damn right"
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly it almost seems to be good to be true so i dont even want to believe it. mark strong (sinestro) is supposedly also in the running.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I really hope it works out. Based on Walt, he could play a very good Lex imo. I didnt even think of him for the role of lex but now that its out there im excited as ? .
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Christian Bale Reportedly Offered $50 Million To Reprise Batman
    Posted on 8.9.13 by El Mayimbe http://latino-review.com/2013/08/christian-bale-reportedly-offered-50-million-to-reprise-batman-according-to-new-book/

Is it possible that Christian Bale is still not done donning the cape the cowl? According to a new ebook, “Beyond Batman: The Unauthorized True Story of Christian Bale and His Dark Knight Dilemma” this may be the case. The book cites sources close to Legendary Pictures that asserts Bale may have “no choice” but to don the cowl at least one more time.

According to the publisher of “Beyond Batman,” the Hollywood mega star likely won’t be able to refuse the potential $50 million payday that could come from playing Batman again. Damn that is a lot of Bat bucks! In my experience where there is smoke, there is fire. There is something in law called slander and no one would be stupid enough to put false information like this out there to make a quick profit and face a lawsuit no matter how many disclaimers the book has.

The book’s author Vince Russel says the following:

"As the bat signal still glimmers with fervor above Bale’s Hollywood marquee, Christian Bale’s experience as the Batman of our generation is about to prove more inescapable than he expected. With three of the most successful Batman films in Hollywood history under his belt, Christian Bale is now facing extraordinary pressure to become The Dark Knight once again."

Could it be that Bale not sees the Batman films the way Robert Downey Jr sees the Iron Man films? The author adds:

“Although Downey has appeared as Tony Stark in four movies in less than a decade, he’s hardly typecast as Iron Man,” Russel says, “Downey has balanced his action film escapades with other projects that have harnessed his talents and earned critical acclaim in the process. If Bale follows a similar formula, his box office glory days may not be behind him – a reality that other men who have donned the black cape weren’t so fortunate to experience.”

The book at the end makes a ballsy claim. Christian Bale’s future success as a top Hollywood draw…

“…may need Batman every bit as much as the Batman franchise still needs Christian Bale.”

I don’t know about that. Christian is after all an Oscar winner. What do you cool kids think? Is this guy right or wrong? Chime in below. I’m doing my rounds and you know I am all over this story. The minute I know who the ? Batman is, Bale or no Bale, I will let you all know.
    Here is the book’s summary:

“Beyond Batman” is the unauthorized true story of Christian Bale and his real life Dark Knight dilemma.

As the bat signal still glimmers with fervor above Bale’s Hollywood marquee, this compelling, first-of-its-kind work recounts Christian Bale’s inescapable experience as the Batman of our generation. With three of the most successful Batman films in Hollywood history under his belt, Christian Bale is now facing extraordinary pressure to become The Dark Knight once more in the forthcoming Justice League film.

This compelling read exposes how sources close to Christian Bale have reportedly begun expressing their suspicions that Bale now views the Batman films in the same light that Robert Downey, Jr. views the Iron Man films. Although Downey has appeared as Tony Stark in four movies in less than a decade, he’s hardly typecast as Iron Man. Downey has balanced his action film escapades with other projects that have harnessed his talents and earned critical acclaim in the process. If Bale follows a similar formula, his box office glory days may not be behind him – a reality that other men who have donned the black cape weren’t so fortunate to experience.

In the end, Christian Bale’s future success as a top Hollywood draw may need Batman every bit as much as the Batman franchise still needs Christian Bale.

HOLY CASHOUTS BATMAN! If that's true, I have a very hard time believing that a muthafucka will walk away from 50 mil, typecasting be damned. I was kinda like hoping we would get away from that "grovelly-pervert-with-a-very-bad-case-of-bronchitis," voice.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Acting is about more than a paycheck to people like Christian Bale. He had plenty of commercial offers when he was younger before he was ever Batman and never took them because he rather make movies he was interested in making. He signed on to Batman cause he was interested in working with Nolan and liked his vision.

He's an actors actor who makes movies he's passionate about and not necessarily because of their commercial appeal. Similar to fellow Batman Michael Keaton who was offered $30 million back in 1994 (biggest paycheck offer at the time) by WB to reprise the role in Batman Forever and declined because it wasn't in line with his vision of what the character was. In other words anything can happen but realistically I really don't see Bale as Batman again ever happening.
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    Nolan would probably be ? if Bale took it anyway, cause then it connects the new DC universe with the standalone Nolan Batman universe.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt it's true that website puts out a lot of ?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DC should focus on making another Man of Steel movie with only Superman and a villian before they start introducing Batman and other DC heroes to his storyline.

It feels rushed in my opinion.

I'd like to see another Green Lantern movie and introduce Flash in his own movie as well.

Then after this make an origins movie to introduce lesser known characters such as Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

Most non-comic book heads don't even know who these characters are unless they ? follow comics.

The ? fans that read comics probably account for one tenth or less of the audience that actually watches these movies.