Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    When did Andy Serkis play a Bond villain?

Dooku = Christopher Lee a.k.a. The Man With the Golden Gun.

Oh and forget about any of that expanded universe stuff. It's been explicitly stated that all that ? will be ignored in the new movies.

I think he was referring to Max Von Sydow and Christopher Lee being bond villains...

Meh...

Loved the OT don't care for the PT...

Abrams is overrated and with Disney's hand's in the mix, it will be more of kids film than any of the PT movies...

I will watch them but will not be waiting in line...

yeah I was referring to Cristopher lee tu. well abandoning the expanded universe opens up for new possibilies. the death of a well beloved character like Chewbacca won't be well received. I 'm not up for seeing luke turn to the darkside to take on a cloned palpatine. the emperor is dead let that be that although I would like to see those sith world devastators. does this mean theres no mara jade? aww ? man.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    original star wars concept art by Ralph McQuarrie

enhanced-buzz-wide-15232-1398183936-50.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-19505-1398183919-15.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-12007-1398183917-59.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-14338-1398184144-25.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-19647-1398184148-41.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-9070-1398245418-25.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-15733-1398183948-22.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-6812-1398183917-44.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-16999-1398183958-39.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-14094-1398183952-51.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-12323-1398183950-9.jpg

i'm not going to post the rest of them,there's too many.you can see the rest here

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/stunning-star-wars-concept-art-ralph-mcquarrie
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I still think Brad Bird is a BEAST and woulda been the best pick, but I got love for Abrams. He was the "safe" pick.
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Not really excited as I thought I'd be. Especially with them abandoning the EU

man i'm a FAN that read the comic books and everything but I can't believe people are still caping for the post-ROTJ EU.

Get that wack ? outta here. I'm so glad that they're FINALLY gonna blow all that weak-ass Post-ROTJ nonsense outta the water and into Fanfiction/Apocrypha status where it belongs. FOH w/ the million Palpatine clones and Yuuzhan Vong. Wack wack wack. Nobody wanna see that. Mara Jade & Thrawn were the only characters worth a ? out that whole thang.

lmfao @ nerds cryin about it on twitter like any of those stories were that ? great to begin with. Go read a fanfic that ships Mara Jade with Harry Potter, ? .

The whole point of bringing back the old cast is to give them a final adventure they deserve. Instead of some ? that rehashes the original trilogy and runs around in circles while we wait for The Emperor to come back AGAIN. Seriously, I love the Star Wars universe but there's a reason all the EU stuff about the OLD republic was vastly superior to the NEW republic EU. Like, if you're gonna pick ONE character from the EU to put in the movies, pick HK-47 ? .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1gTas7OAA
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worse thing about the EU is them taking Jedi from mild telepaths/telekinetics when good swordsmanship to people that can control huge star destroyer and other ridiculous feats. There doesn't always have to be a power creep.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worse thing about the EU is them taking Jedi from mild telepaths/telekinetics when good swordsmanship to people that can control huge star destroyer and other ridiculous feats. There doesn't always have to be a power creep.

that's that force unleashed ? ! @Swiffness I really agree with you on that eu ? . like I stated before the general audience probably won't warm to the death of Chewbacca those jedi kids hiding out on that barren planet etc. they could add the solo kids lukes jedi academy his son ben and mara jade to a completely different narrative while omitting that clone emperor ? . also they could maybe add zorba the hutt(jabbas father) I read that he was locked up in an intergalactic penitentiary and escaped from prison to seek revenge on solo but nah it would be solo being hunted down by a hutt all over again. at first I wanted the new trilogy to be based on the legacy books. cade skywalker and darth krayt are kool characters but that new universe is a mess and I don't like the yuzzan vong either.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A New Hope. An Ancient Fear. Get it? A bit on the nose perhaps, but rumor has it that the latter is indeed the working title for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars Episode VII, and it supposedly refers to the villain who will be played by legendary actor Max Von Sydow. Read on for details!

According to AICN, they believe that they've learned the title of Star Wars Episode VII. The same source reportedly informed them that the J.J. Abrams helmed follow-up to Return of the Jedi would shoot in Abu Dhabi, and then later claimed that the title of the movie will be The Ancient Fear. After running it past "lots of people in JJ's camp - including JJ" and getting no response (which the site believe in itself is suspicious), a separate source contacted them and gave the exact same title, stating that, "It refers to Max Von Sydow's villain who makes Pazuzu look like a !!!" It could just be a production title similar to how The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was dubbed "London's Calling" during shooting, or we could all be watching Star Wars Episode VII: The Ancient Fear in 2015. On the other hand, it could be total BS. What do you guys think? Share your thoughts below!
  • Swiffness!
    edited May 2014
    like f'real nobody saying to delete all the EU and burn the books lol, its just that they should cherry pick the dope ideas & concepts for the movies and leave the rest......like they been doing. Double Bladed Lightsabers came from EU. Coruscant came from EU. Jedi Council came from EU. The Sith came from EU. Etc.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harry Potter? The ? are you talking about.
    You going off on a tangent and assuming ? that was never said
    Despite some bs that was created there is still some great stuff in there that could be utilized that's all I'm saying
  • Swiffness!
    If this is true, then we're DEFINITELY seeing the ancient Sith homeworld. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeah. Sydow is gonna crush this ? man, I just hope he lives long enough to finish the new trilogy lol. (still shook after Dumbledore's actor died smh)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    like f'real nobody saying to delete all the EU and burn the books lol, its just that they should cherry pick the dope ideas & concepts for the movies and leave the rest......like they been doing. Double Bladed Lightsabers came from EU. Coruscant came from EU. Jedi Council came from EU. The Sith came from EU. Etc.

Are you sure about all that? I'm pretty sure the Jedi Council and Sith were established before the EU was a thing. Remember the Original Trilogy were episodes 4, 5, and 6. Lucas always had plans for a prequel trilogy, and he always had certain concepts in place. I'm pretty sure the Jedi Council and Sith were already developed.
  • 1CK1S
    xary9w.jpg

As anxious as we all are about Star Wars: Episode VII, you have to imagine that the pressure is on for J.J. Abrams and the cast and crew, all of whom are likely hoping to put out a film that will live up to the high hopes and expectations of the generations of Star Wars fans. J.J. Abrams apparently recognizes the value of some words of motivation, as the following note to the Star Wars cast and crew from the director has made its way online.

ScreenCrush posted a photo of the note, which is dated May 16. 2014 and reads:
    Dearest cast and crew -
    What an honor it is, to work beside all of you, on Star Wars Ep VII. I can't thank you enough, for all work past and future. Let's take good care of not just ourselves, but each other. Amazing but true: The world awaits this film. Let's give 'em something great.
    XO
    JJ

As ScreenCrush points out, the page on which Abrams' note is written is watermarked with script supervisor Dawn Gilliam's name, which could mean that behind that page, there are other pages with words on them that detail Star Wars: Episode VII's story, a$suming that's the script we're looking at. It's possible, right? But let's not get distracted by all of the juicy plot details we're not reading and focus on Abrams' brief but uplifting message, which not only expresses gratitude for all the work that's been done and will be done for this movie, but the requested effort to take good care of themselves and each other, and give the world the great film we're awaiting.

A positive attitude is certainly a good sign, as is his encouragement of unity and support among the cast and crew.

For those eagerly awaiting updates on production, since this latest one gives nothing away about the plot of the film, it's worth noting that this note is one more teasy bit of content to make its way online since production started last week. This display of support and positivity follows some tidbits that were officially passed along from Star Wars, one of which came in the form of a Bad Robot Tweet announcing the start of production and revealing part of a sandy looking clapboard. And the official Star Wars Facebook Page teased fans with a shot of the outside of Pinewood Studios on Day One of filming.

While we hang on every possible clue and rumor about Episode 7 that makes its way online, we can only hope that we'll see more content from the set and production as filming ensues.

Star Wars: Episode VII is set to arrive in theaters December 18, 2015.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Jew Is Shakin In His Boots
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol watch this suck
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xary9w.jpg

Abrams: Well first things first you're going to make a lot of money...
  • Broddie
    edited May 2014
    It's kinda sad that mainstream filmmaking has gotten so desensitized that the same guy who revamped Star Trek gets to also revamp Star Wars. Also how creatively bankrupt can you be to say yes to both gigs? This guy must have sold his soul to 3 devils.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let JJ cook , i will bet you it will be better than all the prequels

thats really not saying much.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Hopefully, the new cast he's hired has been through puberty, unlike Star Trek.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    didn't jj make the movie super 8
  • Broddie
    Let JJ cook , i will bet you it will be better than all the prequels

I wish I knew you in person so I could bet good money with you that it won't even be on the level of Episode III.

Oh and people could say what they want about the prequels but at least it was ALL George Lucas' independent vision. He didn't have to answer to anybody and got his actual vision as he wanted it on the screen. Like a true filmmaker. Jar Jar Abrams on the other hand won't have that luxury. He's just a hired hand paid to deliver the vision that Disney and franchise producers have for the series.
  • Broddie
    Vader wrote: »
    didn't jj make the movie super 8

Yes.

• 1CK1S
    J.J. Abrams has spoken from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII in a video that also gives us a first glimpse at the film's special effects.

Yep, we've seen our first creature on a Star Wars: Episode VII set, which is just a bit exciting. He's even carrying several other new aliens on his back. So, six new aliens in total. AMAZING.

In a video in aid of UNICEF’s Innovation Labs and Programs, Abrams gives Star Wars fans both a first glimpse at the Episode VII shoot and a chance to appear in the new film.

But, most excitingly, we get a glimpse at our first Episode VII alien.

It's an impressive creation, the movement is so realistic it's hard to tell if it's a puppet or CGI or, most probably, a mixture.

He looks like a cross between Yoda and a Tauntaun with a bit of Labyrinth thrown in for good measure, and we wonder if those are his kids he's carrying round, or just pets. Either way, WE LOVE HIM and we hope he appears in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNiC9iKM0Q

For details on how to contribute to the charity and be in with a chance of winning yourself an appearance in Star Wars: Episode VII, head to Omaze.com/StarWars

And to see Total Film grilling Star Wars: Episode VII star Oscar Isaac about what's in the movie, check out the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Au209Y46g
  • Broddie
    True story this movie needs it's own thread so all this stuff could just be posted in there.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with them deciding to ? on all the books and say there non cannon i don't have high hopes for this trilogy. i think they are about to trash star wars. I hope i'm wrong tho
  • Broddie
    edited May 2014
    I don't care about the expanded universe being axed. First rule of any creative endeavor do not limit the scope of the vision that the creators could have. My concern is more with the director being a borderline hack who has proven more than once that he can't really stick the landing after taking the aircraft into the air. We'll see what happens.