Faux News host compares 9/11 memorials to confederate statues,frets memorials will be taken down…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/11/1697638/-Fox-News-host-compares-9-11-memorials-to-confederate-statues-frets-memorials-will-be-taken-down
Today marks the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attack on Washington, D.C., and New York City. To mark the solemn occasion, Fox & Friends invited Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, who was serving as a Navy SEAL instructor on 9/11, to talk about his visit to Shanksville, Pennyslvania—the site where Flight 93 crashed on that horrific day.

After Zinke offered a moment of reflection, host Brian Kilmeade pivoted to the real question we should be asking ourselves today: In 100 years, will people be removing the memorials marking this tragic terror attack? Because Confederate statues erected 50 or 100 years after the Civil War ended in order to memorialize and celebrate the men who divided the country, engaged in treason against the Union, and fought to enslave an entire group of people is totally the same thing as a memorial remembering the thousands of Americans who died in a terror attack.

Watch Brian Kilmeade seamlessly and shameless pivot to the Confederate statue discussion. Frankly, it’s a bit of a miracle that Hillary Clinton’s emails and Colin Kaepernick’s civil rights stand didn’t somehow wind up in this discussion.

Thanks to Media Matters for the transcript and the video, which you can watch below:

BRIAN KILMEADE (CO-HOST): Do you worry 100 years from now someone is going to try to take that memorial down like they are trying to remake our memorials today?

ZINKE: Well, I'm one that believes that we should learn from history. And I think our monuments are a part of our country's history. We can learn from it. Since we don't put up statues of Jesus, everyone is going to fall morally short. And I think reflecting on our history both good and bad is a powerful statement and part of our D.N.A. I'm an advocate of, again, learning from our monuments. Understanding the period they were made, but also we live in a great country and monuments are not Republican, Democrat, independent. Monuments are a tribute to all of us.

Comments