Why does it seem like women look down on manual labour / blue collar workers?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
"It's 2015!" Two years ago, Canada's Prime Minister uttered this phrase when asked why he chose to make 50% of his cabinet female. Clearly, for the leader of America's Northern neighbour, equal representation and participation between the sexes is important. However, when we look at the workplace, things are far from equal.

In some places, like England, women make up only one percent of the construction force. Some account this to slow progress and longstanding social myths, but this still seems very low considering traditionally female careers like teaching and nursing have seen increases in male participation. So why aren't women going into construction, mining, and other labour-heavy careers? It seems they look down on them.

There have been many studies and papers that have come out highlighting the problem of disparate education between the sexes: 54%+ of women have some kind of degree compared to ~30-38% of men. Women want educated men, but there is a shortage. Many men make good money without that kind of training from college through the trades and blue collar work, though. If a man makes good money, why does it matter so much what his education is? What's the beef with manual labour?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because girls are raised to coddled damsels yearning for fairytale... also "hard work" inst something women are raised to appreciate for themselves(asso some of that ? is tough.. even for some dudes) But as a women if you arent socialized and groomed that way you wont go that way.... also dealing with that work environment can be as much of a chore as the gig i suppose.. as far as what women want..........
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no issue with blue collar work, seeing a man sweat is sexy. What might be a problem is the wages may cause you to have to work twice the hours to make a living.

The older I get the more I understand why people might not want to wither away under fluorescent lighting. Money and position on the corporate ladder are not everything.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends how intelligent she is, hard to keep going with a ? . And usually if you have education you have brains. Men tolerate simple not extremely intelligent women as partners far more often than women will accept a man that way.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    I have no issue with blue collar work, seeing a man sweat is sexy. What might be a problem is the wages may cause you to have to work twice the hours to make a living.

The older I get the more I understand why people might not want to wither away under fluorescent lighting. Money and position on the corporate ladder are not everything.

The way I'm reading @LUClEN 's post is "why won't women go into blue collar jobs". In fact, this line:
    LUClEN wrote: »
    "It's 2015!" So why aren't women going into construction, mining, and other labour-heavy careers? It seems they look down on them.

pretty much says it.

I don't see women in ? like plumbing, welding, HVAC, or working as electricians, boilermakers, miners... ? , I have yet to see a woman throwing in car stereos for a living.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    It's more than just women not doing it. Not only does it seem like they don't want to do it, they don't want their men doing it, and based on the shortages we're seeing, they might not want their kids doing it either.

When did it become distasteful to do physical work? When did traditionally male labour become so looked down on?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Oic. Laziness.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    It's more than just women not doing it. Not only does it seem like they don't want to do it, they don't want their men doing it, and based on the shortages we're seeing, they might not want their kids doing it either.

When did it become distasteful to do physical work? When did traditionally male labour become so looked down on?

It used to be that a man with a "good job", whatever shape that took, was a desirable thing. Nowadays blue collar job ≠ "good job" unless you're a Mexican woman... Mexican cats ain't got no shortage of women ready to wife when they're busting their ass cleaning pools, fixing AC, or some ? like that.

@Kat ain't that right?
  • Kat
    Options

The way I'm reading @LUClEN 's post is "why won't women go into blue collar jobs". In fact, this line:
    "It's 2015!" So why aren't women going into construction, mining, and other labour-heavy careers? It seems they look down on them.

pretty much says it.

I don't see women in ? like plumbing, welding, HVAC, or working as electricians, boilermakers, miners... ? , I have yet to see a woman throwing in car stereos for a living.

Oh I missed that apparently.

Hell nah..I'm not trying to do a that. I hate getting ? .
  • LUClEN
    Options

pretty much says it.

Oh I missed that apparently.

Hell nah..I'm not trying to do a that. I hate getting ? .

Would you feel any type of way if your daughter went into that kind of work?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    I feel like the compensation for the effort isn't enough in labor jobs. Because you don't have to be extremely intelligent to do the job it doesn't have a high pay. You stand around a lot, do heavy lifting, stand in all kinds of weather. Risk your life in mining(sometimes that pays well tho, but not always). Idk, seems like too much effort for not enough money. Those jobs are looked down upon like they are for simple people or don't bring in enough cash. That's with most lower paid jobs, people get ? on them for it but who else is going to bag your groceries.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I feel like the compensation for the effort isn't enough in labor jobs. Because you don't have to be extremely intelligent to do the job it doesn't have a high pay. You stand around a lot, do heavy lifting, stand in all kinds of weather. Risk your life in mining(sometimes that pays well tho, but not always). Idk, seems like too much effort for not enough money. Those jobs are looked down upon like they are for simple people or don't bring in enough cash. That's with most lower paid jobs, people get ? on them for it but who else is going to bag your groceries.

That's not necessarily true. Also, other jobs like fast food are also dangerous due to the amount of crime that occurs around fast food restaurants yet women dominate fast food employment
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

That's not necessarily true. Also, other jobs like fast food are also dangerous due to the amount of crime that occurs around fast food restaurants yet women dominate fast food employment
    Not a lot of lifting in McDicks. I thought you meant physically grueling work, like construction, mining etc. And I still believe the amount of money isn't worth the effort exerted.
  • konceptjones
    Options

Not a lot of lifting in McDicks. I thought you meant physically grueling work, like construction, mining etc. And I still believe the amount of money isn't worth the effort exerted.

Boilermakers make about $30/hr out here and it's a union job.
    underground miners can make about the same.
    Electricians can see around $25/hr.

Not balliin outta control, but for what you do it's worth it. You can take care of a small family on that kind of money.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think its about bragging rights.

chicks like to talk about how their man looks on paper more than how he looks.

cant be talking about dubai and your dude is a manager at jack in the box. other chicks gonna think you cant ball or you paying for everything.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Not balliin outta control, but for what you do it's worth it. You can take care of a small family on that kind of money.

mcdonalds in swiss starts at like$22/hr
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

I don't have issues with manual labor working men. I find men who can build things, fix things and make things with their hands sexy and appealing. My point it tho, if you got brains, not many people pick manual labor, grueling physical work etc, when they can maybe make double that to sit on their ass and use their brain instead.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

I don't have issues with manual labor working men. I find men who can build things, fix things and make things with their hands sexy and appealing. My point it tho, if you got brains, not many people pick manual labor, grueling physical work etc, when they can maybe make double that to sit on their ass and use their brain instead.

there are jobs that mix the two
  • LUClEN
    Options

The thing is, your typical office job isn't very ? hard. It's not like you need advanced degrees to work the average public sector job. Not long ago alot of these jobs didn't even require a bachelor's.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

The thing is, your typical office job isn't very ? hard. It's not like you need advanced degrees to work the average public sector job. Not long ago alot of these jobs didn't even require a bachelor's.

Right and I could sit on my ass doing an easy office job(air conditioned) for more money than turning a construction sign or laying pavement(in the blistering heat).
  • LUClEN
    edited September 2017
    Options

Right and I could sit on my ass doing an easy office job(air conditioned) for more money than turning a construction sign or laying pavement(in the blistering heat).

Idk. I make a lot more than many of my friends with office jobs and I'm the lowest paid on my crew. Sign holders get paid ? , but that's not really physical work, and it's dominated by women.

But you bring up an interesting point: is it just comfort? People don't like doing physical ? ? That would make sense given the correlation with rising obesity
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

Idk. I make a lot more than many of my friends with office jobs and I'm the lowest paid on my crew. Sign holders get paid ? , but that's not really blue collar work, and it's dominated by women.

But you bring up an interesting point : is it just comfort? People don't like doing physical ? ? Would make sense given the correlation with rising obesity
    A lot of things boil down to laziness, one of the cardinal "sins", bad behaviors that plague mankind. Almost all problems come from one or more of those behaviors, and imo, stem from the root of ignorance.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm an electrician, I make more money than all of my friends who are college graduates, matter of fact most of their wages are decreasing while mine are constantly going up. Seriously the hardest part of my job is dealing with the elements/weather, it aint that physically demanding. I'll let that sink in for a second.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm an electrician, I make more money than all of my friends who are college graduates, matter of fact most of their wages are decreasing while mine are constantly going up. Seriously the hardest part of my job is dealing with the elements/weather, it aint that physically demanding. I'll let that sink in for a second.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listening 2 they single friends, aunt's and mama. Toxic. Watch, let her hit 30+ with a kid. As long as u have teeth u good lol. They always wake up too late when that BC working Brother settled in2 a new respected ship!
  • Kat
    Options
    Lol just bitter af in multiple threads.