Aftermath Producer Focus Gets UPS Job Despite Stellar Music Career

Options
2»

Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    did nt Dre just donate like 30 million to USC or some ?
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On Aftermath since 02 and broke? I kno' these ? aren't all gwuppin' in the millions but I can't help but think he wasn't very wise with the money he did get.

His contract had to be garbage. Prolly gave up his publishing for an advance on it or just signed it over all together, which would have been stupid. If any of his music had samples in it and he couldn't negotiate a publishing split with the original artist then whatever he got paid for the track up front is all he got out of it. Any tracks he produced that were original compositions he should still be seeing money on, especially if it was a hit single and still showing up in rotation from time to time. What he really should have been doing is trying to work his tracks and keep 'em out there generating money for him.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Respect but damn he Must have never owned his publishing or got royalties
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His check's coming with those detox royalties
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can remember Juvenile saying he still worked for an offshore job around the time he dropped his 1st album. Just saying rap money aint fasho money..
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True story

A friend of mine knows somebody who produced some tracks for Lloyd Bank's first album Hunger For More. The album did well so the producer started charging more for tracks. But the problem was that the songs he produced for Lloyd Banks weren't hits, they were just songs on the album. So even though he produced some tracks for Lloyd Bank's album, he still couldn't get work because he was charging too much and wasn't known for any hits.

Point being, you're only as hot as your last record.

Did Focus produce any hits or were they all album tracks?

Because why would you pay somebody top dollar if they're not known for producing hits?
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unheard UPS warehouses be slaving ppl and barely paying a living wage, so yea props to dude. You should never be ashamed to work a regular 9-5!
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually, UPS is a good paying job with benefits. You can feed your family and plan for retirement while working for UPS. Can't say the same about rapping for a living.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    True story

A friend of mine knows somebody who produced some tracks for Lloyd Bank's first album Hunger For More. The album did well so the producer started charging more for tracks. But the problem was that the songs he produced for Lloyd Banks weren't hits, they were just songs on the album. So even though he produced some tracks for Lloyd Bank's album, he still couldn't get work because he was charging too much and wasn't known for any hits.

Point being, you're only as hot as your last record.

Did Focus produce any hits or were they all album tracks?

Because why would you pay somebody top dollar if they're not known for producing hits?

Doesn't matter, he should still b making steady dough on the back end if the business is right
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Focus I mean

Idk about ur friends friend
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them cats don't be having bread like that man. Homecoming ATL say every bit of 2001. I hung out with every artist in the world backstage. Drama, Boo and Gotti, Pharrell etc. My man knew LES from Def Jam and he had a group with him. We partied with them all night but peep. The group needed $$$ and was looking for a truck stop for some reason. We led that big ass tour bus almost to Marietta from downtown ATL. We peeping the artist cuz we trying to get in the game too. ON MY LIFE! **** got $500 wired to him and ****** got $100 dam dollars! Mannn we like I got more bread than that on me now. Had ice on the whole 9 but no doe in they pockets. They're alright now but the industry is like high school with the illusions. Hint: MAKE SOME NOIIIISSSEEE!!! YUP, them.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    /\ If it's who I think it is that's pretty bugged. They been in the game since the 80s.

Whole entertainment game is a house of fronting. Pure fantasy. Back when I used to write stand up before my clients relocated out west and further up north respectively one of their agents told me something I'll never forget.

"You get in this bizness cause of passion. Love for the art and the process. Not cause of money cause you'll seldom see much of it. Most celebrities you see are no better off than minimum wage employees."

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Broddie .....Nore and Capone fam. Funny note. Kevin Garnett had a clothing line for a HOT Second. Something on the block or off the block. ? had unintentional spell errors on a printed shirt lol. I got it from some def jam rep and rocked it anyway for years. Boo and Gotti we're like " Those my people, where'd u get that?"