Mental illness is on the rise

2»

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    sully wrote: »
    Is society any sicker today than it was 150 or so years ago? When white people owned black people? When death and disease plagued society more than they do now? When the poorest were even poorer than they are now? The rich have increased and consolidated wealth, but the poverty floor is higher in the U.S. now than ever before.

100 years ago people were going off to war b/c one rich cousin didn't like another rich cousin.

100 years ago whites were taking over nearly every society around the world and stealing wealth, leaving nations and peoples in greater desperation than we've seen since. Literally taking over and stealing the wealth while murdering anyone who stood up for themselves.

75 years ago, multiple genocides were in order, in Germany, Turkey, Russia, China, Africa, India. Society was "sicker" than, then it is now?

50 years ago, blacks and anyone with dark skin were segregated based on skin colour alone in the U.S. Stress among African Americans was easily higher then, than now, due to increased poverty and decreased upward social mobility.

If you were ? 50 years ago, no one could ever know.

If you were a different religion, from those around you, and people knew, you'd likely be isolated and ostracized over the stigma of just thinking differently.

More flashing lights and the internet doesn't make society "sicker".

Would you rather work 8-10 hrs a day for minimum wage in McDonalds or work 16-18 hours a day in the cotton fields? Which of those two options is more depraved and degrading to you?

Sure, things could be better, but death and war are near all-time lows right now. Diseases that were death sentences a 100 years ago are now treatable with a single pill.

Starvation due to poverty in the U.S. is practically eliminated. Malnutrition isn't, but the definition has now changed.

Very good and true points* Sully and yet mental health illness is on the rise. They gather that from the number of people coming over the years increasing, steadily. Imo the increase has been going on since the beginning. Society as a whole is sick and will be until every man is every man's keeper. Your comment about finding another planet is stupid and uncalled for an unrelated. This is the progression of civilization.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kzzl wrote: »
    the diet
    and the ig and facebook and snapchat...having just the right photos to make someone seem like they living a life you wish you had.

? dont know once the photo is snapped...they gotta give the stack of money back or them hoes leave once the bottle is finished or the ? comes out the store an ask a ? to get off his car.

Bruh, what does everything after "diet" have to do with mental illness rising?

? fall into depression thinking they life aint ? .

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/depression/questions/social-media-depression.htm

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.pn.2017.1b16

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/19/instagram-most-likely-to-cause-young-people-to-feel-depressed-and-lonely-out-of-major-social-apps-study-says.html

Well ill be damned. Wtf? Smh.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day when people were crazy they were separated from society and shunned. Now they're encouraged to be a part of society and reproduce.

Hence why there's more crazy people. We've eliminated Darwinism.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sully wrote: »
    Mental illness has been on the rise since the beginning. The more aberrated society becomes the more people's mind reflect that.

Someone here had it correct. Increased mental illness is due to increased ability to diagnose and adequately identify the signs and symptoms. Mental illness is no different than any other disease. Incidence of certain mental illnesses are higher than others, for example, depression as a 20% lifetime incidence, meaning 20% of the population at any given point may present with signs of depression. Doesn't mean everyone has it all the time, or that everyone will get it. Just that 20% may be diagnosable for it at some point.

Similarly, Schizophrenia has a 1% worldwide prevalence. Meaning 1% of the world's population likely has schizophrenia or its associated conditions (schizophreniform, brief psychotic disorder).

Bipolar is something to the effect of 5%-10% worldwide prevalence, but don't quote me on that number.

Now, unless you're talking about stresses from our day-to-day life contributing to society being more "aberrant", then I can agree with you to some extent. Then again, allowing people to be more of themselves and the removal of certain stigmas as a means to be prejudiced, might actually be contributing to a decline in some cases of depression, since people no longer have to live with certain societal prejudices, like being black, or being ? , or being of a different religion from those around you. Those stigmas removed, may potentiate a decline in some forms of depression in the coming years (stats on this won't likely be available for about a decade, so we'll just have to see).

BP is much lower than that b
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Back in the day when people were crazy they were separated from society and shunned. Now they're encouraged to be a part of society and reproduce.

Hence why there's more crazy people. We've eliminated Darwinism.

Nah "crazy" people we've been here forever. I dealt with my form of crazy (clinical depression) with darwinism funnily enough. The need for survival inspires me.

I stopped therapy at age 10. I grew up in a no precinct at the time Dinkins era ? haven part of Washington Heights NYC.

By that point in life I had seen people killed and cooking up drugs in a very desensitized way. I hung around killers and dealers growing up but knew them as good people strangely enough cause some were relatives. They lived with me. Were my cousins.

We watched movies in room with loaded shotguns stashed in window panes. Crazy to think back. I remember seeing my cousin on the news as a teen cause of a shootout he had with Italians he robbed from on a damn bronx/heights cruiseway (the giant ring) and ? NYPD. HE GOT AWAY TOO! on some Keyser Soze ? . But his license fell out in the getaway car. Eventually he got caught and sent back to DR. This dude was sleeping in the bunk above me as a kid when he first hit the streets.

Perception is skewed that way depending on the start point. Nothing they could do for me in counseling lol so I went out on my own. No more therapy. Never took meds but did drugs in my 20s albeit while being a legally employed tax paying citizen.

Still I went through it all: massive procrastination (almost 20 yrs), drug abuse, self loathing, self destructive and chaotic behavior, dwelling on my failures, always late everywhere no matter what, anxiety (as I type this I haven't slept since 2:30AM eastern us times cause of anxiety relapse) but I owned it and took control of my ? . Got things I do to help me cope and people who I can talk to about it including my parents.

I always knew the kids around me growing up. Even though I was a loner cause that's how my brain is wired. I always had friends and family that understood and never gave me grief over some of my ? decisions. They just checked me when they had to. My lifelong buds are still around so are new ones met along the way. Having a good support system is key.

Another is having a good outlet. Been making beats and also writing since I was a kid. Also used to draw in the cartoon style growing up. Joined a chorus for the girls and learned a lot about music theory in the process back in middle school. Always around music and art.

I had 2 choices but always had a place to go. I was what they called a "latchkey kid" cause my mom worked and I saw dad on the weekend. Except I never went to latchkey.

It was either going home chilling watching sports, listening to and creating music, reading comics, watching movies, wrestling, documentaries, reading books, the web by 96 and playing video games. As well as arcade places and movie theaters which is just more video games and movies.

Or

Go to my aunt's where I used to be most of the time before age 9 and be around drug dealers, killers and sociopathic kids that were my boys on the blocks all day.

I chose the former cause end of the day as a very precocious kid I recognized the importance of removing myself from a toxic spot.

I was someone who got ? at age 8 cause of some irresponsible ass young adults who parented too early. That's how I used to see it but then I never drank again for 10 years so it did traumatize me in a way I learned from and that's how my mind processed it.

I could get into so much but enough TITANgraphs about my condition.

My point is this. Mental health is very real and trust me I went through denial for years. Nobody ever just wants to admit to being "crazy".

As someone who has lived it for almost 30 yrs I have to say unchecked depression is the saddest ? ever. I made sure to keep mine in check with my own coping mechanisms. ? was on my side so ? giving in to demons clawing at my brain.

I actually saw it today and it broke my ? heart. Sadder part is that it's snowing heavy out there right now and she's probably still out there walking back to the only safe haven she ever knew. Where her mom and son live. Out there with no coat on. With the crazy hair and those ? pock marks on her face that turned a girl who was one of the baddest 10 yrs back and still ok 5 yrs back into a walking zombie.

It killed me cause I knew the source of all that was depression but with no support system, hobbies or sense of identity and worth. Basically without something to live for. That's what depression does. A demon that unfortunately scars the brain of far too many of us for someone like me to just dismiss mental health in such a general way.