king hassan
king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• king hassan
    A lot of gems dropped, the stories they tell
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best Drink Champs that I've seen....
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

downloading it now. Gonna watch this one over the next few days.
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Great interview.

They weren't lying when they said 1988 was a GOAT year.

I saw the Runs House tour they were talking about. It was EPMD, Public Enemy, Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince and Run DMC. It was the summer of 88 at the Providence Civic Center. I was 14. It was my first time seeing a Hip Hop show at an arena.

yo old ass
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @5grand And Jazzy Jeff tore that muthfukn UIC Pavilion in the Chi the ? down!! Dope Jam Tour, Runs House tour!!! Kids will NEVER know what purity in hip hop was like. I can understand their frustration now when it's full of ? and sissies and they look back @ my era.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BIGGIE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ON TONY REMIX (41:00)
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dope, gonna check this out next few days hopefully...
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dope interview
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Epeemd

That wouldve been weird
  • konceptjones
    Trollio wrote: »
    Epeemd

That wouldve been weird

It's on the very earliest releases of their first single. EPeeMD. Parrish says it on a couple of songs but the one that sticks out in my head was "I'm Housin" 'cause that specific line was sampled by DJ Knowhow for the EPMD single "The Main Event"

Deliver a rhyme like Federal Express
    My intention's not to dis, but impress
    For the ladies and gents, the money was spent
    To see the E-P-Double-E-M-D, yes the main event.

ijfbivg18dvvqmx8mqyt.jpg
  • konceptjones
    edited September 2017
    Jesus... Erick Sermon bodied the current state of hip hop at 1:00:06

"... Yo right now if anyone of us go and.. if a CNN, Nas, EPMD whatever and two more other groups we could pack 51,000... with nobody on the radio."
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • king hassan
    The story is funny about Maxwell was ready to put hands on N.O.R.E. the behind the scenes stuff is what I like to hear. And they right, when those ole skool shoss come through it's packed. They literally can pack a stadium
  • THE_R_
    BTW...THIS IS THE BEST DRINK CHAMPS YET...

ALSO IM A HUGE FAN OF EPMD (TOP 5 DUO), AND SERMON AS A PRODUCER (TOP 5 PRODUCER) & SOLO ARTIST.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dope interview. I like E's take on how Hip Hop is categorized and anything urban is thrown in. When Hip Hop is a culture and if your music doesn't follow the formula or adhere to the sound then it's not Hip Hop. I didn't E was that live.
  • Kwan Dai
    "Yo E you stressing me" - Rakim
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just listened to this they should ve just let E go on with them stories...this one was amazing
  • konceptjones
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Dope interview. I like E's take on how Hip Hop is categorized and anything urban is thrown in. When Hip Hop is a culture and if your music doesn't follow the formula or adhere to the sound then it's not Hip Hop. I didn't E was that live.

and he was stone sober.
  • THE_R_
    WHO WAS THAT ? FROM TRL?

NORE: JOHNNY CARSON! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the way they addressed the ageism and how far away from the fundamentals ? really is without seeming aggy and embittered. There used to be all kinds of subgenres in hip hop (conscious, gangsta, alternative, storytelling, comedic etc.) just like every other genre had (like jazz had smooth jazz and latin jazz etc.)

Now we just want to group everything urban under one umbrella. It not only weakens the culture because of lack of structure it also confuses the ? out of people.

I agree with the magic of '88 that's when I got into this ? . Everybody had their own individual flavor and style. It was the true essence of the game; unapologetic self expression and EVERYBODY got to eat cause of that. Whether it was PE, BDP, G RAP, Kane, Rakim or Slick Rick everybody got to reach success doing them. Not aping and jocking the next man.

This was my first Drink Champs episode but I'll stay peeping. Nore is doing the lord's work with this platform.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    I also liked what they said about sampling. Even if you have to give 100 percent up to get it cleared. If the sample is worth it you should. The music comes first.

If that sample is what makes that song gain its magic why try to stop that? Just cause you want more royalty points? Don't deprive the world of greatness over greed. That's not hip hop.
  • Kwan Dai
    Another thing I enjoy about listening to our pioneers is, when they're speaking about misunderstandings with other artists these dudes was stepping to each other to squash ? or keeping it on records. I've been a Hip Hopper for 30+ years and some of these misunderstandings you may have heard some rumors about. But many you didn't even know happened. Whereas today artists are manufacturing misunderstandings for clicks, likes, and sales.
  • Broddie
    If it wasn't for everybody doing their own thing I would've never gotten into this music. Is it a wonder so many write the genre off today because it all sounds the same? (remedial rhymes over trap beats).

Diversity is what sustains longevity. Too many people in hip hop allowed these greedy corporate ? to make them forget that.