E.P.M.D. Drink Champs

Options

Comments

• THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I LIKE HOW NO ONE MENTIONED THE ROC NATION DEAL & THE NEW ALBUM BIG BUSINESS :lol:
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm interested in the album. Dre and Snoop, Outkast, Bun with a potential unheard ? C verse etc. all with EPMD on the other side? Yes please.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE THOUGHT OF RAE & GHOST DOING THEIR BACK/FORTH STORYTELLING TO JANE :+1:
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    THE THOUGHT OF RAE & GHOST DOING THEIR BACK/FORTH STORYTELLING TO JANE :+1:

When E pointed out that he will specifically have Ghost do the usual J to the A to the N to the E breakdown I was like "damn this is why he's such a great producer". I visualized that ? like right away.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Favorite rap group in the world is E.P.M.D. - Phife

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 10 drink champs interviews that i watched

Epmd
    Trick daddy
    David banner
    Trina
    Brand nubian
    Ll cool j
    Mike epps
    E40
    Taxstone
    Luke
  • king hassan
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »

Epmd
    Trick daddy
    David banner
    Trina
    Brand nubian
    Ll cool j
    Mike epps
    E40
    Taxstone
    Luke

Watching the Luke one now. Saw the Btand Nubian and the Pete Rock and Preemo, Duck Down, ATCQ too
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »

Epmd
    Trick daddy
    David banner
    Trina
    Brand nubian
    Ll cool j
    Mike epps
    E40
    Taxstone
    Luke

Watching the Luke one now. Saw the Btand Nubian and the Pete Rock and Preemo, Duck Down, ATCQ too

Mike Epps was cool too
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That lil cease one was nice too..
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Checked this out today. Man this was too dope. These interviews are so good. It's like listening to a song you don't want to end.
    Another thing I took from this was the year 88. I hear so much about it. I wanna go and listen to the albums I never listened to from that time.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this was dope i like hearing what the legends have to say .
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    Checked this out today. Man this was too dope. These interviews are so good. It's like listening to a song you don't want to end.
    Another thing I took from this was the year 88. I hear so much about it. I wanna go and listen to the albums I never listened to from that time.

Bruh... 88 was such a dope ass year for hip hop. Eric B and Rakim dropped Paid in Full in the summer of '87 and basically sent everyone back to the lab. That album completely changed everything about hip hop going forward from the way MC's rhymed to the way ? was produced, the imagery, everything.

In 88 the changes were evident: EPMD came with Strictly Business, Run DMC came back with "Tougher Than Leather, KRS One/BDP dropped By All Means Necessary, Lyte hit with Lyte As A Rock, Big Daddy Kane dropped Long Live the Kane, Biz Markie's "Goin Off" dropped early in '88, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince's "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" came out, Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions..." came out that summer as did Salt and Pepa's A Salt with a Deadly Pepa, "Straight Outta Compton" came out just before we all went back to school and Ice T's Power and Eazy E's Eazy-Duz-It came out right after we started classes, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock killed the lunchroom with "It Takes 2", The Great Adventures of Slick Rick came out late in the year but still made it's mark, 2 Live Crew came back in a big way with Move Somethin', and on top of all of this Eric B and Rakim came right back with their second album "Follow The Leader".

Look at that list of albums right there. That represents some of the most critically acclaimed albums hip hop has ever had and that's not all of them dropped that year and on top of that most of them were released within a 3-4 month window from May through August of '88. The summer has NEVER had a better soundtrack when it comes to hip hop. There were other albums that dropped that simply added to the overall atmosphere like Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud 's "Girls I Got 'Em Locked", Chubb Rock's self titled album, King Tee's Act A Fool, Audio Two's What More Can I Say? and Steady B's Let The Hustler's Play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_in_hip_hop_music

I found that list while I was writing all of that. Look at that ? ... Look at the sheer diversity of it all. All that classic ? came out in '88. No not everyone had a big hit, but everyone contributed to making 88 the turning point in hip hop.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bruh... 88 was such a dope ass year for hip hop. Eric B and Rakim dropped Paid in Full in the summer of '87 and basically sent everyone back to the lab. That album completely changed everything about hip hop going forward from the way MC's rhymed to the way ? was produced, the imagery, everything.

In 88 the changes were evident: EPMD came with Strictly Business, Run DMC came back with "Tougher Than Leather, KRS One/BDP dropped By All Means Necessary, Lyte hit with Lyte As A Rock, Big Daddy Kane dropped Long Live the Kane, Biz Markie's "Goin Off" dropped early in '88, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince's "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" came out, Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions..." came out that summer as did Salt and Pepa's A Salt with a Deadly Pepa, "Straight Outta Compton" came out just before we all went back to school and Ice T's Power and Eazy E's Eazy-Duz-It came out right after we started classes, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock killed the lunchroom with "It Takes 2", The Great Adventures of Slick Rick came out late in the year but still made it's mark, 2 Live Crew came back in a big way with Move Somethin', and on top of all of this Eric B and Rakim came right back with their second album "Follow The Leader".

Look at that list of albums right there. That represents some of the most critically acclaimed albums hip hop has ever had and that's not all of them dropped that year and on top of that most of them were released within a 3-4 month window from May through August of '88. The summer has NEVER had a better soundtrack when it comes to hip hop. There were other albums that dropped that simply added to the overall atmosphere like Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud 's "Girls I Got 'Em Locked", Chubb Rock's self titled album, King Tee's Act A Fool, Audio Two's What More Can I Say? and Steady B's Let The Hustler's Play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_in_hip_hop_music

I found that list while I was writing all of that. Look at that ? ... Look at the sheer diversity of it all. All that classic ? came out in '88. No not everyone had a big hit, but everyone contributed to making 88 the turning point in hip hop.

I'm telling you, Hip Hop has never had a summer as dope as 1988

By All Means Necessarry
    It Takes A Nation of Millions
    Strictly Business
    Long Live The Kane
    In Full Gear
    Follow The Leader
    Goin Off
    He's The DJ I'm The Rapper
    Power
    A Salt With A Deadly Pepa
    Tougher Than Leather
    On The Strength
    Colors Soundtrack

Plus It Takes Two by Rob Base and DJ Ez Rock was the song that got the party started that summer.

Its impossible to name a better summer for Hip Hop.
  • king hassan
    Options
    I was 15 in 1988 and had all these cassettes
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Me too. But I was buying vinyl because I wanted to be a DJ
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

that's what I'm sayin. I got my first job in the summer of '88 right after I turned 16. My first paycheck went to buying Eric B and Rakim's "Follow The Leader" on vinyl; I still have that album to this day.

100_3351.jpg

Like you, I copped all that ? that year. My boy a couple of houses down the block got his license before I did and his moms had a Cutlass Calais. I swear the Delco systems in those GM N-body cars was made for ? 'cause we would roll out with them tapes in his moms ride bangin down the street especially off that NWA and Slick Rick ? .
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? I was only 6
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

? I was only 6

I was 5 but I remember that summer and fall like it was yesterday. Changed my life.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Played the first kinda 15mins in the car today, Parish mad underrated imo... One thing that caught me was I think they said some dude named 'Haze' did their logo, was that the same Haze that done this classic???

379360.jpg
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i still have mine.
    and i have my dual cassette player
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finally watched this late last night. Refreshing to hear these two legends talk about how the game was & where it’s at now. Seeing them with CNN.. classic.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's great to see EPMD getting this much love. All hope is not lost. LMAO
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope interview, wish they would have talked about this song for a little bit though

https://youtu.be/xp09snLms5E
  • king hassan
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    It's great to see EPMD getting this much love. All hope is not lost. LMAO

I'm thinking the same thing. And what I like about their drink Champs is that they were not just bullshittung, they were dropping a lot of jewels we never knew about. And lmao at them building a car and still having it
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Great interview.

They weren't lying when they said 1988 was a GOAT year.

I saw the Runs House tour they were talking about. It was EPMD, Public Enemy, Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince and Run DMC. It was the summer of 88 at the Providence Civic Center. I was 14. It was my first time seeing a Hip Hop show at an arena.

I thought you was waaaay older. Who is your favorite new artists?