What Do You Think About My Solution To The Drug Problem?

Options

Comments

• blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't read the solution automatically know it's trash
  • blue_london
    Options
    anduin wrote: »
    It should all be decriminalized. If it's an issue, it's a health issue. Not a legal one.

Exactly Portugal decriminalised the use of all drugs in 01 and opened places where people can take drugs under controlled guidance now people hardly die from the use of drugs and the amount of people using drugs has gone down
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So you guys don't like my idea of a high school diploma/G.E.D. being a prerequisite to smoking weed?

Because its as clear as day to me, in Trenton you see kids on the corner at 8:00am who should be in school. And you walk past them again at 5:00pm and they're still on the corner. They don't work, they don't go to school they stand on the corner and hustle nickels and dime bags.

After living in Trenton for 4 years I've really gotten to know them. They're not making any money, just enough to buy something to eat for the day, something to drink and something to smoke. They don't sell weight. They sell nicks and dimes and you can tell they don't make a lot of sales, probably just enough to re-up. They'd make more money working a regular job...or going to college and living off student loans and federal grants.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    So you guys don't like my idea of a high school diploma/G.E.D. being a prerequisite to smoking weed?

Because its as clear as day to me, in Trenton you see kids on the corner at 8:00am who should be in school. And you walk past them again at 5:00pm and they're still on the corner. They don't work, they don't go to school they stand on the corner and hustle nickels and dime bags.

After living in Trenton for 4 years I've really gotten to know them. They're not making any money, just enough to buy something to eat for the day, something to drink and something to smoke. They don't sell weight. They sell nicks and dimes and you can tell they don't make a lot of sales, probably just enough to re-up. They'd make more money working a regular job...or going to college and living off student loans and federal grants.

Don't blame weed for their parents' mistakes
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint u the ? that got ? in the mouth!?

yeh..
    any idea that comes out of that ? up head of urs has no credence..

nah..
    not after bein skull ? ..
    seek help ? !
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »

yeh..

nah..
    seek help ? !

That's all you can add to the discussion?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »

yeh..

nah..
    seek help ? !

That's all you can add to the discussion?

wit u at “the head of it”..

yep.
  • BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can set up the laws however you want.
    Folks that keep it pushin are gonna do just that.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It should all be decriminalized. If it's an issue, it's a health issue. Not a legal one.

The problem is that some people can handle drugs and some people can't.

I've worked at an investment banking firm with stockbrokers and lawyers. They all arrive at work at 9:30am and go home at 4:00pm. They go home and get ? up and come back to work the next day. Those people are functioning drug addicts and would be able to handle coke and heroin if it was decriminalized.

But think of the wino on the corner. He's laid out on the sidewalk and can't get up because he's downed a whole bottle of liquor. I don't think he should have access to hard drugs, in fact hard drugs are what put him on the corner in the first place.

My point is that some people can handle coke and heroin and some people can't. The same can be said about alcohol, some people can drink socially but they know their limit. Other people get DUIs and let alcohol ruin their lives.

Ppl are going to drink and do drugs regardless of the laws on the book

And there will always be ppl willing to take advantage and make a dolla

The war on drugs and there criminalization is a failure and ur idea is just more of the same lol

Not to mention ur idea would be terrible for blk and poor blk
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I'm trying to think of a way to encourage people to seek higher education.

Drugs have devastated the Black community. People drop out, don't work, get mixed up with drugs and end up in prison. And when they get out of prison they have no diploma or skills so they go back to their old habits.

If you were trying to break the cycle how would you do it?
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cats Actually Responding.....
    7nktutbydl52.gif
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Drugs have devastated the Black community. People drop out, don't work, get mixed up with drugs and end up in prison. And when they get out of prison they have no diploma or skills so they go back to their old habits.

The criminalization and war on drugs which fuels violence and taken thousands of blk men away from their families is what has exacerbated the subjugation of the blk community

Take chicago for ex. A lot of violence is fueled by the illegal drug trade. The chicago area is also ranked number one in the nation for emergency room visits related to heroin use

So like i said if a person doesnt want to go to highschool or college and wants to do drugs there is always going to be ppl there to sale them drugs at a premium

We decriminalize drugs the illegal drug trade would become less attractive and violence /arrests would plummet

So with ur idea we'd still be dealing with the same ol

You want more blk ppl to graduate high school and go on to college we need to things like disrupt the craddle to prison pipeline. Investing in more diversion programs is one idea. In some places they have been experimenting with paying low income students a wage if they are on time and they have to stay out of trouble

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.ketv.com/article/high-risk-students-paid-to-attend-class-stay-out-of-trouble/7155076

https://wamu.org/story/15/09/29/paying_at_risk_youth_DC_mcduffie

We need to hire more blk teachers and school administrators, especially blk men. I think like 80% of teachers are non blk. Why does that matter? The data strongly suggest blk children do better with blk teachers

But yea that would require more programs that encourage and support more blk ppl going into teaching

The way public schools are funded needs to be addressed as well

• MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    7nktutbydl52.gif

Exactly.

My thoughts reading this are that this ? GOTTA BE high on some onety one type ? .
    GOTTA BE.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I applaud the innovative thinking in this thread.

Don't mind these conservative non solution orientated IC folks. If the IC was the early 1900s
    these same IC folks would've wanted a faster horse ! .... instead of a car.

Sometimes we have to get into our freakonomics state of mind to really solve issues.
    I got the same response when I made the Condom brief thread. Here I am thinking about the
    health and well being of my fellow constituents .... and they're roasting me.

When you go against the grain and challenge convention, you always get a lot of push back.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Maywood wrote: »
    7nktutbydl52.gif

Thats all you can add on to the discussion, a .gif?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no solution to the drug problem. Close thread. Drugs of abuse are as old as society itself.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heroin killin people so ? comin back, the cycle continues.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

The criminalization and war on drugs which fuels violence and taken thousands of blk men away from their families is what has exacerbated the subjugation of the blk community

Take chicago for ex. A lot of violence is fueled by the illegal drug trade. The chicago area is also ranked number one in the nation for emergency room visits related to heroin use

So like i said if a person doesnt want to go to highschool or college and wants to do drugs there is always going to be ppl there to sale them drugs at a premium

We decriminalize drugs the illegal drug trade would become less attractive and violence /arrests would plummet

So with ur idea we'd still be dealing with the same ol

You want more blk ppl to graduate high school and go on to college we need to things like disrupt the craddle to prison pipeline. Investing in more diversion programs is one idea. In some places they have been experimenting with paying low income students a wage if they are on time and they have to stay out of trouble

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.ketv.com/article/high-risk-students-paid-to-attend-class-stay-out-of-trouble/7155076

https://wamu.org/story/15/09/29/paying_at_risk_youth_DC_mcduffie

We need to hire more blk teachers and school administrators, especially blk men. I think like 80% of teachers are non blk. Why does that matter? The data strongly suggest blk children do better with blk teachers

But yea that would require more programs that encourage and support more blk ppl going into teaching

The way public schools are funded needs to be addressed as well

Thanks for the response.

At least you added on to the discussion.

They tried the same approach with policing. The theory was that if there were more Black policemen there would be less racism in the Black community between cops and the people in the community. Its called Community Policing and they started it in the early 70s. But it doesn't work. Since they've started community policing there have been more arrests in the Black community and more crime.

Another part of the problem, I hate to say it, is rappers and rap music. Every teenager wants to be a rapper but realistically there's only room for a handful of new artists every year. Also the rappers glorify guns and drugs. Lately rappers have been getting arrested and serving time. I'm not sure if that has a positive effect because they see what can happen if you break the law, or if it has a negative effect because these teenagers see getting arrested and going to jail as a rite of passage.

Anyway, these rappers that rap about smoking weed and selling coke and dope have the right to rap about whatever they want. I get it, they're a reflection of their environment. But they made the song Self Destruction in 1989 when I was a sophomore and that song predicted where we are now.

Something needs to be done. I don't think decriminalizing all drugs is the solution. There has to be some discretion, rules and regulations. We can't have people dropping out and doing drugs at age 17 (or younger).
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is what Portugal did and it's worked pretty well for them. The thing is, you need some kind of universal health care system for this to be effective. In the states there's no point chalking it up to health if at the end of your detox and rehab you get hit with a $200k+ bill
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Okay, so let me get this straight. When I graduate with my JD in May and then pass the bar in July, I can sell weed, coke and heroin? And to do so, I have to go to a police precinct? Last thing the legal field needs is more access to drugs, there's already high levels alcoholism, drug abuse and depression in the field as is. Not sure why education level alone should give you access to legalized drugs...

But yeah its a not a good idea...

@ the bolded. Exactly. When you reach a certain level of education (military experience or 5 years in a union) you can sell drugs legally. By doing this we eliminate the drug dealers that dropped out of high school. Dropping out of high school and selling drugs will no longer be an option. The dropouts will be forced to go back to school.
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

Of course everyone does drugs. Yes rich people do drugs and can be functioning addicts, but rich people that do drugs aren't a problem because THEY CAN AFFORD DRUGS. Poorer drug addicts cause the most problems because they have to hustle to get their drugs and will do many things to do so. Stealing, selling drugs, prostitution, etc. Locking those people up costs a lot of money. A lot of these states don't have the money to lock them up.

You're solution isn't a solution at all. You cant give certain people access to drugs. At this moment nobody is technically supposed to have access to drugs, but guess what? Everyone finds a way to access it if they look hard enough. Those well educated people you speak of probably have jobs and skills that will keep them employed and well paid. Unless their habit is out of control, they won't need to steal or do anything illegal for their habit.

Your first paragraph that I highlighted proves my point. I agree with that first paragraph. Rich educated people can afford to do drugs. Its the poor drug users that are the problem. So to solve the problem we legalize drugs for rich educated people and make it illegal for poor uneducated people. If poor uneducated people can't get access to drugs they will either turn around and go back to school or stop using drugs because they can't get it.

The underlying solution is basically to trick a person that would have otherwise dropped out to go to college.

That's dumb. That is so stupid I am flabbergasted.
    Most stupid ? is not this well thought out..

i think you just broke new ground

OK, if my idea is so bad, let me hear you guys suggestion on how to solve the drug problem.

If its not going to be by education level then how would you legalize it?

Because you can't have people dropping out of high school to smoke weed, which is why a lot of people drop out.

How are you gonna have a thread about making drugs legal through education, when you yourself aren't truly educated about drugs? You're using stereotypes as fact.

Stop locking up non-violent drug offenders and actually, you know - rehabilitate them. Legalize drugs (and for the hard drugs) have them sold at low dosages. Put money, programs, and actual scientific research and education towards drug and rehab centers. America's entire drug and prison infrastructure is archaic, and with your new rules, you're basically equating higher education (which in The US means privilege & class) to drugs, which is ALREADY being done and has been done.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ILLBOT ban 5 grand from his own thread
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »
    How are you gonna have a thread about making drugs legal through education, when you yourself aren't truly educated about drugs? You're using stereotypes as fact.

Stop locking up non-violent drug offenders and actually, you know - rehabilitate them. Legalize drugs (and for the hard drugs) have them sold at low dosages. Put money, programs, and actual scientific research and education towards drug and rehab centers. America's entire drug and prison infrastructure is archaic, and with your new rules, you're basically equating higher education (which in The US means privilege & class) to drugs, which is ALREADY being done and has been done.

Thanks for the response.

Lets see if we can keep this thread going without name calling and ad hominem attacks.

I've had this discussion before.

1. I don't see the problem with requiring somebody to have a high school diploma or G.E.D. to buy weed.

2. The people I spoke to seem to think its a good idea that if you want to buy hard drugs (coke and heroin) you should have to pay with a debit card. If you get declined then that means you can't afford it and shouldn't be buying it.

3. Higher education leads to a superior way of life. You can get a better job with benefits, earn more money and make an impact on society rather than flipping burgers or pushing a broom. With higher education you can move out of the ghetto and buy a home rather than renting from a slumlord. With higher education you can understand legal concepts, finance concepts and medical concepts that high school dropouts can't comprehend. I know this because I didn't go to college directly from high school and when I finally did go to college I realized what I had missed out on.

As it stands, people who have more money can afford lawyers to defend them when and if they get caught with drugs. I don't have to tell you what happens when you use a public defendant.

Lastly, people say, "stop locking up non-violent drug offenders". Yeah they need treatment rather than prison but to what end? Are we going to legalize drugs and every time somebody is going through withdrawal send them to a rehab for 30 days, and then when they get out they still can't find a job because they dropped out of high school?

Are we going to keep sending high school dropouts back and forth to rehab? They'll never get their lives straightened out until they get at least an associate's degree, or military experience or join a union.

Legalizing all drugs and giving high school dropouts access to hard drugs is a blueprint for failure.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    forgive 5Grand he was born in the 1920s...
  • blue_london
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »

Thanks for the response.

Lets see if we can keep this thread going without name calling and ad hominem attacks.

I've had this discussion before.

1. I don't see the problem with requiring somebody to have a high school diploma or G.E.D. to buy weed.

2. The people I spoke to seem to think its a good idea that if you want to buy hard drugs (coke and heroin) you should have to pay with a debit card. If you get declined then that means you can't afford it and shouldn't be buying it.

3. Higher education leads to a superior way of life. You can get a better job with benefits, earn more money and make an impact on society rather than flipping burgers or pushing a broom. With higher education you can move out of the ghetto and buy a home rather than renting from a slumlord. With higher education you can understand legal concepts, finance concepts and medical concepts that high school dropouts can't comprehend. I know this because I didn't go to college directly from high school and when I finally did go to college I realized what I had missed out on.

As it stands, people who have more money can afford lawyers to defend them when and if they get caught with drugs. I don't have to tell you what happens when you use a public defendant.

Lastly, people say, "stop locking up non-violent drug offenders". Yeah they need treatment rather than prison but to what end? Are we going to legalize drugs and every time somebody is going through withdrawal send them to a rehab for 30 days, and then when they get out they still can't find a job because they dropped out of high school?

Are we going to keep sending high school dropouts back and forth to rehab? They'll never get their lives straightened out until they get at least an associate's degree, or military experience or join a union.

Legalizing all drugs and giving high school dropouts access to hard drugs is a blueprint for failure.

jk2g7swpgtmf.gif
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The problem is that some people can handle drugs and some people can't.

I've worked at an investment banking firm with stockbrokers and lawyers. They all arrive at work at 9:30am and go home at 4:00pm. They go home and get ? up and come back to work the next day. Those people are functioning drug addicts and would be able to handle coke and heroin if it was decriminalized.

But think of the wino on the corner. He's laid out on the sidewalk and can't get up because he's downed a whole bottle of liquor. I don't think he should have access to hard drugs, in fact hard drugs are what put him on the corner in the first place.

My point is that some people can handle coke and heroin and some people can't. The same can be said about alcohol, some people can drink socially but they know their limit. Other people get DUIs and let alcohol ruin their lives.

Ok by that logic they should lock people up for alcohol because some people can't handle it. If you can't handle it don't it. If you still do it thats on you and no one else's business.