Jam Master Jay's Murder Officially Ruled As A Cold Case

RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
Another hop-hop homicide goes unsolved.

15 years after the tragic shooting death of Hip-Hop pioneer Jam Master Jay, New York City police detectives have officially acknowledged the case of his homicide as cold. It was on October 30th, 2002 at around 7:30 p.m that the legendary DJ, born Jason Mizell, was shot and killed in his own studio in Queens, New York City.

According to reports, two men were buzzed into the gated entrance, and it was when Jay hugged one of the men that gunfire erupted with one bullet striking the 37-year old husband and father in the left side of his head at point-blank range. While there were allegedly four other men in the studio, no one has ever been able to provide authorities with any information substantial enough for a promising lead. Naturally, plenty of speculation has risen over the motive in killing Jam Master Jay. Some believe his death to be the result of payback from someone to which he owed money as he was reportedly facing a load of debt at the time.

A year after his death, an investigation was launched into Kenneth “Supreme” McGriff, a convicted drug dealer and well-known affiliate of brothers and Murder Inc. heads Irv and Chris Gotti. Authorities had reason to believe Supreme to be a suspect as Jam Master Jay had supposedly violated an industry blacklisting of a young 50 Cent at the time after Fif put out the track “Ghetto Qu’ran,” a cut written about Supreme’s history as a drug dealer.

50 Cent was only one in a handful of young artists Jam Master Jay had taken under his wing at the time through his JMJ imprint, a large purpose that his studio served in the community. “[He] could have built this studio anywhere, but he built it here, where it was needed,” said Alix Dontfraid, founder of Signature Soundz Studios. “That’s an energy I’m trying to perpetuate.”

Jay’s influence permeates generations as a founding member of Run-D.M.C, one of Hip-hop’s most definitive groups to date, having his hand in rap’s first ever Gold-certified and Platinum-certified albums with 1984’s self-titled Run-D.M.C., and 1985’s King of Rock. While authorities have nowhere left to turn, some folks in the community hold out for a turn in the case. “It’s not resolved to the legal eye,” a family friend, Jeremy “JL” Lam, told the Associated Press. “But the street always talks.”

Comments

• escoe
    escoe Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Remember coming home from work and reading about this new on this damn site.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMH this is some ?
  • *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is heartbreaking, R.I.P.
  • RickyRich
    i always heard supreme team did this but why ?
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    RickyRich wrote: »
    i always heard supreme team did this but why ?

Retaliation for his boy 50 Cent
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Contrary to popular belief, Supreme team loved ghetto Qur'an.

Preme got a little mad because he called Prince the killer and preme the business man.

But they didn't shoot him for that song. It was for life's on the line and basically messing up their money
  • HK365
    HK365 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    There’s gonna be hella dry snitching going on in this thread.

As sure as night follows day.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Preme got a little mad because he called Prince the killer and preme the business man.

But they didn't shoot him for that song. It was for life's on the line and basically messing up their money

Source?
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »

Source?

50 alluded to this a couple times in interviews and his book. Preme was getting money with JA and them and considered them his "food". 50 was told to leave them alone bc they was premes new hustle and basically dissing JA n them was basically 50 ? up premes block. So I heard and read, I personally don't know none of these ? , but that's the conclusion I came up with. I was seriously invested in this ? back in the day. Preme was planning on making movies and all types of ? w the help of murda inc. I believe he was involved in a adaption of one of Donald Goines books, I believe Jay-Z was on the soundtrack. Preme was really in it w Murda Inc. 50 himself said Ja and Irv themselves weren't a threat, it was the "people around them" hint hint (preme) that he was more concerned with.
  • 5 Grand

Source?

50 alluded to this a couple times in interviews and his book. Preme was getting money with JA and them and considered them his "food". 50 was told to leave them alone bc they was premes new hustle and basically dissing JA n them was basically 50 ? up premes block. So I heard and read, I personally don't know none of these ? , but that's the conclusion I came up with. I was seriously invested in this ? back in the day. Preme was planning on making movies and all types of ? w the help of murda inc. I believe he was involved in a adaption of one of Donald Goines books, I believe Jay-Z was on the soundtrack. Preme was really in it w Murda Inc. 50 himself said Ja and Irv themselves weren't a threat, it was the "people around them" hint hint (preme) that he was more concerned with.

Is this what you're talking about?

R-1278185-1441417300-9934.jpeg.jpg
  • Busta Carmichael

Source?

Murder Inc was preme' s crew

Here's a excerpt from someone from Southside who grew up around 50
    50's wack....I never really liked dude...Everyone back home knows Curtis was a thief...And I mean like if u had your tecmo bowl cartridge on your dresser? Dude would snatch it. He was a low life type *****. Worst in our area. But the way these magazines, books, and Murder inc make him out to be? Is MOstly false. And Ghetto Qu'Ran was a banger. Who remembers the version of Ghetto Qu'Ran that had Preme actually ON The intro saying "This is Our History, This is Our Qu'Ran" before the beat dropped...Thats real queens s***. ***** didnt look at that song as a "Snitch Track" We Looked at that song as our history book. He captured ALL OF OUR Heros in one 4 minute song. We Loved that song, EVERYONE Did. Their was no backlash. Bang Em Smurf Didnt start hating until 50 chose Banks as his boy wonder. Bang Em had promised ? the #2 spot in G Unit and 50 wanted his Young boy their. THATS the truth.
  • Busta Carmichael
    edited October 2017
    Ghetto Quran came out in Queens long before 50 got clapped. That was our boros theme song. Much like Biggies joints were for BK. When ***** played that we stood on cars, we threw parties to that joint. Thats our history.

Ghetto Quran came out in Queens long
    Ja got jealous cause while he was blowing up on Jay's Single, and off his first s***, 50 took over the home front after doing the original version of that collabo with nas an nature(Too Hot).Original version had nas first. 50 ripped that s***

JMJ was hated by Preme and all them, Preme had JMJ's Cousin Tony, and JMJ's son Jason jr robbed. Them ***** fled to Georgia after that. Jason Jr. Lives in Alpharetta GA Right now. Thats a known fact.

Dont let these dudes fool you. Ghetto Qu'Ran didnt get him shot. The fact he was hangin with E after E clapped son, and that he was f***** up ***** preme was protecting was hurting him.

Who from Queens remembers when Olu Daru used to be out with Preme passing out food, clothes, and toys?

I wonder if Nas ever had a real connect with Preme?

Im not lookin for dudes to say im credible tho. Anyone who REALLY grew up in the neighborhood knew that. Nas had beef with 50 and u never really heard hims ay s*** but "I gave 50 his first chance...Why he s*** on me like that?" U never Heard Nas say 10 percent of the s*** Irv and Them said about him. Them dudes was never out their like that. Irv was thought of as a Street Team dude, he passed out posters and flyers. Ja was just another Rapper in the crowd, when he got his chance to blow, the dude didnt look back at Queens like that. THATS why started f***** with Preme...Cause THEY couldnt come back home.

• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Supreme was never a real suspect in this case.

The highest suspect i remember is a guy named Ronald "Tinard" Washington. He was a stick up kid, and sctually stayed in jays family's house for a while, then Jay had him kicked out.

Even that book Queens Reigns Supreme, has him as the main suspect. And although Derrick Parker didnt say his name in that Vlad interview, i believe he named him too years ago

Look it up.
  • 5 Grand
    What about Fat Cat and Pappy Mason?

Did they have any connections to the murder?
  • RickyRich
    chinx murder also gonna go cold case
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    thats a damn shame.....RIP JMJ
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    i remember watching Comic View on BET and it came on the bottom of the screen turn to MTV and MTv News with Kurt Loder came on
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still remember. I heard the shots that night.
  • RickyRich
    dwade206 wrote: »

really ? ? . i feel that ? was hit job .
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Source?

Is this what you're talking about?

R-1278185-1441417300-9934.jpeg.jpg

Yea. If you care that much about it, read 50's book "from pieces to weight" watch "Get rich or die trying". Is not hard to decipher the characters and know who is who. There is also a book called Queen Reigns Supreme I believe that breaks all that ? down. The dissing JA ? got 50 on supreme ? list, however what ended up getting 50 green lighted, Was a meeting that he blew off. Chaz Williams aka slim, I think was 50's first music manager or some ? . He was a triple OG in Queens, known for robbing banks and a dude that had enough respect to potentially end the beef for 50. 50 didn't show up to the peace meeting and at that point chaz couldn't do anything for him, him not showing up was a sign of disrespect to chaz and everyone else. That's why on "many men" 50 say "slim switched sides on me, let ? ride on me, i thought we was cool, why u want me to die ? ".
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwade206 wrote: »

really ? ? . i feel that ? was hit job .

It had to be. When I used to live in NY, I was on my balcony, quiet night as usual, a good neighborhood btw, and fell asleep about 2 am. Around 4, me and my wife heard gunshots and we both jumped up. The next morning the IC was talking about it and I see the bullet riddled car on the corner. Smh, sad ? .
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cain wrote: »
    It's crazy looking back on it and how people ran with 50 snitched on people in Ghetto Qur'an. Reading that those same cats ? with the song changes things.

or the fact that everything he talked about was after the fact....nothing new info was said in the song.