• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    4:44
    Next up: 4:44.....
    Mister B. wrote: »
    My album review.......

It’s amazing how the world can still be taken by surprise, even in 2017. One month ago, while the hip-hop community was still basking in Kendrick Lamar’s ascension to the throne with DAMN, we had no idea what Sean Carter - aka Jay-Z - was up to in his somewhat-second-retirement phase. As least that’s what it looked like. Then, out of nowhere, we got messages popping up: 4:44 was coming. It took hip-hop about two weeks to even figure out that Jay-Z was dropping something that would once again be exclusive to Tidal, his music streaming service. Based off what we’ve heard from his last album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, most of expected Hov to give us something nice to nod to, bounce to, brag to, and pounce all over the new wave of trap rappers with. What we got was a beautiful flip of the script.

The 13th offering to hip-hop by one of its most acclaimed emcees and artists, 4:44, Jay-Z brings us a look into his life like never-before-seen or heard of. We’ve normally been used to Jay Hova as the ultimate businessman in hip-hop: from kingpin on the block, to rising to hip-hop‘s crown after the passing of his friend and mentor The Notorious B.I.G., to creating successful ventures such as Roc-A-Wear, Roc Nation, and the aforementioned Tidal, even his marriage to pop ultra star Beyonce and the creation of their new family, Jay-Z has been the poster child for “making it” in this life with what he was given early on. For the most part, he was never afraid to let us know that either; championing fashions, trends, and how we moved and applied cultures to our own lives. 4:44 takes all those success and balances them against everything we thought we knew (or had speculations about), and for the very first time, Sean the man take the stage and leaves Jay the rapper behind on the mic.....and the world has given it an astounding reception. As this is led by No I.D. producing acumen, this album gives us a real “Soul on Wax” tour.

So, what on this album that’s so special?: Honestly, what isn’t? We’ve been waiting for this version of S. Carter since he came out of “retirement” to give us personal growth and reflection, not just financial and cultural dominance. Jay begins this immediately on “? Jay Z”, as he talks about finally shedding the darkness he’s seen, and coming out publicly with his own demons; with his friends (with a few bars at his “lil’ brother” Kanye for good measure) and his own infidelity (LOL @ shots at Eric Benet, ”? , NEVER go Eric Benet”). “The Story of O.J.” gives us a further driving point from Jay’s eyes that no matter how successful you are, if you are black, you’re “still ? ” around America, and takes an aim at wondering why the black community is so far behind, economic empowerment-wise, and why the Jewish community has attained true power and independence in this country.

(Side note: if you live in New York City, you should already know this. We see it everyday. Why the media decided to get their panties in a bunch over Jay saying this only further explains his point.)

On “Smile”, Jay takes the hate he knows that is covered up by smiles, and exclaims that despite it all, why he’s displayed on Mt. Rapmore when it comes to this game, and as to why people see what they only wish to see. This track is also noted for Jay allowing his mother, Gloria Carter, to showcase her own coming out as a lesbian, which is beautiful in its own right in the face of hip-hop's very anti-? stance. As the soul tour continues with “Caught In Their Eyes”, Frank Ocean makes a gracious appearance. The album’s deepest track, “4:44”, goes much deeper into Jay’s previous mentioned affairs to his wife Beyonce, and how as a nearly 50-year-old man, he’s finally realized just how much he’s hurt her, as well as how the lives they’ve created will see him once they learn this story eventually, summing it up with, “You did what with WHO?/what good is a ménage à trois when you have a soul mate/You risked that for Blue?”

By the time we get to “Family Feud”, he’s able to understand that when they all combine talents and resources in the Carter-Knowles household, it really is no ceiling to what that family can achieve, also re-affirming that he’s with his family, telling the home wreckers out there, “leave me alone, Becky.” Using the “Bam Bam” sample from Sister Nancy, Damian Marley drops by on “Bam” for a nice reggae/hip-hop crossover track guaranteed to get a club amped up this summer, while still letting Jay be the young Jay that we got to know and revere. (“I be skippin leg day, I still run the world/I press the head of ya team with one finger curl”) The album wraps up with three tracks, “Moonlight”, “Marcy Me” which is a wonderful pass through memory lane, and “Legacy” on how the spoils of his work will be seen throughout the generations with this game almost assured to reincarnate itself in his kids. There’s way too much to cover in the 10 tracks listed, but Jay has really laid it out there for the listener to get a better understanding of what has driven him in ways most of us never thought.

Could there have been more done here?: The problem with a concept album is sometimes that it can get so personal, that it encapsulates the whole project, and there’s no room for a time out. I honestly felt that 10 tracks was a bit light, and that something could’ve been done for the clubs, a la one of the many chart-topping hits we’ve grooved to from Marcy’s own. (Maybe someone along the lines of “Grown Man B-I” or something.) This is the first Jay-Z album where there’s not a real dance track here, and it just feels so…..incomplete. Other than that, there’s no real downsides, here.

My scores:
    Lyricism: 9.25/10
    Production: 9/10
    Album Cohesiveness: 9.5/10
    Replay Value: 9/10
    Overall: 9.25/10

Final Thoughts: 4:44 is a great coming-full-circle vision on how one S. Carter has turned his gifts to what he’s said for years; as a gift and a curse. Yes, it’s brought him status, power, fame, and fortune, but it’s also brought him trials, tribulations, and pain. By broadcasting all of this in 30 minutes or so, he’s able to hopefully give the next generation a road map to success and how to avoid the pitfalls of his own setbacks....all for $9.99.

Do I feel that this album will get him hip-hop’s crown back from K. Dot? No. And it shouldn’t, because it simply no longer matters. That’s the point here: he’s worn that crown, repped that title, and many rappers have kissed that ring. He’s lane to glory has been paved. 4:44 is about what happens after your prime is past and your present hold a new chapter. As this album is very similar to Nas’s Life Is Good, both are able to bask on past triumphs, reflect on present relationship troubles, and give their own view on parenting challenges. Jay’s reflection comes with much more glamour and style, because, well…..he’s Jay. But him even peeling the onion of his this far back puts 4:44 at least in the Album of the Year conversation. If this is Jay’s final offering to the world of hip-hop, I’m just glad he’s saved the autobiography for last, because this is his truest work since one could say all the way back to the beginning, when Reasonable Doubt gave us a young emcee from Marcy projects and the promise of greatness he showed back then. The only question to ask now is will the "C" word - classic - get thrown around, when it's said and done? One can only hope.

For now, I'll just throw 4:44 in with Jeter's last at-bat, and Kobe's last game. One more taste of Black Excellence wasn't needed, but he gave it up anyway. Good ? , Jay.

Favorite Tracks: The Story of O.J., 4:44, Marcy Me
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    Next up: DAMN....
    Like it or not......my album review:

“All hail King Kendrick!”

Yep. That’s what’s most of the hip-hop world has been shouting since the young Mr. Kendrick Duckworth’s last offering to the world, To ? A Butterfly, won the title of Best Rap Album last year at the Grammys. Since then, we’ve all anointed the metrication of his talents, flow, and creativity, and was even super amped at that now-infamous Control verse that put half of hip-hop young field on notice that he was out to claim the title. After a compilation album Untitled Unmastered gave us a tease at what was to come, plus his big “? you” performance to cops everywhere at the 2016 Grammys, most of the hip-hop community feels as though he’s validated that statement of being the crème de la crème of the world of bars and beats.

So now, the newest champ of rhymes and life has graced the world with DAMN., which goes deeper into the world of the king and how he’s handling the this new strange world of royalty, loyalty, power, fame, and the game. This album dives pretty deep into the rabbit hole of Wonderbars and a who’s who of producers, mostly led by Sounwave, Mike Will Made It, and Top Dawg (obviously).

K-Dot is KING. Deal with it: In the wake of hip-hop’s resurgence over the last few years, this album is able to do what quite frankly, 99.5% of other albums couldn’t – venture sonically into different realms of music, while still staying true to its roots. The last album to accomplish this feat on this level was Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. This album see us listeners hear the adventure of Kendrick’s alter ego, Kung-Fu Kenny, and his repeated lines of “nobody’s praying for me”, which he figures by now, goes with the territory of being the top of the food chain. While he deals with it mostly with no worries, the album starts with him telling a story of an old woman who claims he’s lost his life on “Blood”. Using the ? News clips starts off the first real song of the album, DNA, which is the album strongest banger track, and will be in ALL clubs for the next three months, guaranteed. DJ Kid Capri provides us with that mixtape feel, announcing “new ? ” as the album switches to “Yah” (as well as several tracks) and all the news that comes with the being a target now. “Element”, an up tempo track will surely have us all jamming to the hook of (“If I gotta slap a ? -ass ? , I’ma make it look sexy/If I gotta go hard on a bih, I’ma make it look sexy/I pull up, hop out, hair out, made it look sexy/They won’t take me out my element/Naaaaah, take me out my element.”) “Feel” is just that: how he feels about…everything: who’s after his spot, whether he’s now a legend, and how he should feel about being looked up to….and why no one’s praying for him.

The ups and downs are all there throughout the album, with very little guest spots: Rhianna joins the journey for “Loyalty”, Zacari helps out on “Love”, even U2 is featured on “? ”. The last three tracks of “Fear”, “? ”, and “Duckworth” all seem to interlock better than anything else here as we get a glimpse into a childhood of ass beatings everywhere in a seven-year-old’s life (“I’ll beat your ass if you tell them social workers he live here/I’ll beat your ass if I beat your ass twice and you’re still here”), what’s it’s like to be treated as boss in the game now blessed by ? , to a story of how the Kendrick Lamar we know almost never happened if one of his partners had been killed, but decided to patch up a beef and pursue the rap game. All in all, K-Dot opens up his whole dimension we haven’t seen in his personal life since good kid/M.A.A.D. City, and while his flow still reigns supreme, it’s more of the openness of this album that has made it stand out in 2017 from most others.

Victory lap? It COULD’VE been: OK, like I said before – Kendrick IS king right now. That doesn’t mean I didn’t have questions or things about this album I really couldn’t ride with. My first gripe is the constant up and down feeling out of the album. Just when DNA puts you in a fired up move, Yah takes your emotions right back down to almost near-depression levels. Just when Fear has you feeling like “DAMN. That’s some real spit”, ? sounds more like a vogue-Justin Timberlake-like track. Oh: that’s the second gripe I have with this one. I can understand coming out-of-pocket, but too many tracks sound like other artists. “Loyalty” sounds like something that actually was left off of Aubrey’s “More Life”, and “Love” has a real “Hotline Bling” feel to it. For all the angles each song addressed in his life, there wasn’t enough “jams” on here for me to really enjoy. “DNA” goes nuts (and was finally released as a video, with Don Cheadle doing the honors there) and “Element” brings me something to two-step to, but for the most part this isn’t an album that bangs in the whip, which was one of the things GK/MC and TPAB was able to do regularly. For a Kendrick album, there are a few throwaways here, and that kind of stunned me.

My scores:
    Lyricism: 9.5/10

Production: 9/10

Album Cohesiveness: 9.25/10

Replay Value: 7/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Final Thoughts: When I first heard this album had dropped, coming off of Joey Bada$$’s release, I was sure DAMN would up that ante, and maybe touched more on police brutality, Black America, the anti-45 movement, or something along those lines. I didn’t get any of that here. Instead, I got a guy at the top of game that had a great opportunity to run light years around the rest of the game, but seemed to be more concerned with just letting everyone else know he was the top of the food chain. Don’t get me wrong – he’s right to say that, but he earned that by not having to tell us all in the most secret and abstract of ways. Instead of lapping everyone three times over, seems like he just reduced his lead over everyone to simple shouting distance. DAMN is a very nice mix of bars, beats, experimentation, trials and tribulations, and confidence, but it IS lacking that furiousness and rebellion that made him Hip-Hop’s current champion.

Nevertheless, Kendrick Lamar IS Hip-Hop’s current champion and this will please pretty much everyone.

Personal Favorite Tracks: DNA, Element, Fear, Duckworth

You—you ? up
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn shittin on 4:44, only old Boom Bap ass ? gon say Jay made the better album because they can’t face that a New Gen Rapper is Better than Jay Z is Today and he’s considered as the GOAT by a lot of ppl.

FOH, just because a ? made a track saying ? need to get they Credit together and pointing out how White ppl had a Systemic advantage over Blacks on a track didn’t have as much of an “Impact” as ? making it out to be.
    “FEAR & DUCKWORTH” shittin on that entire album, now watch the flags come in from you Old Jay Stans

This is coded talk from a down south ? that hate when N.Y. ? get praise.

Pathetic.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn shittin on 4:44, only old Boom Bap ass ? gon say Jay made the better album because they can’t face that a New Gen Rapper is Better than Jay Z is Today and he’s considered as the GOAT by a lot of ppl.

FOH, just because a ? made a track saying ? need to get they Credit together and pointing out how White ppl had a Systemic advantage over Blacks on a track didn’t have as much of an “Impact” as ? making it out to be.
    “FEAR & DUCKWORTH” shittin on that entire album, now watch the flags come in from you Old Jay Stans

Pathetic.

Im surprised ? actually read all that dumb ?
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »

Pure rapping>>>sing rapping *shrugs*

Sing rapping >>>> not rapping and doing spoken word

Glad 4:44 wasn't spoken word but Damm was definitely sing rapping

Jayz didnt spaz out on a flow once during the whole album...did he flow at all? Sounded like just a bunch of talking on a beat

Its was a cafe open mic sounding album

Jay 3rd verse on Smile>>>>any verse on Damn..... And even if you don't believe that talking on a beat beats singing on a beat I wanna hear a ? singing I'll go cop a R&B album I wanna hear rhymes

If u want to hear rhymes then damn wins easily in this contest haha....4:44 on some psuedo father figured ? ?

4:44 easily on the lower half of jayz catalog...be honest with yourself
  • beatboy1
    beatboy1 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm a huge Kendrick fan. But 4:44 was better. Was more intimate. more personal. and less " commercial "
  • beatboy1
    beatboy1 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Options
    pachá12 wrote: »
    DAMN is cool. But I did think Kendrick's lyrics were a little lazy. No real punchlines, no notable one-liners.
    I agree with this Only because I'm measuring Damn against The greatness That is Kendrick and against the projects he has put out previous to Damn. When you compare like that that it seems he was just a bit lazy. But if I was only comparing Damn to the other stuff put out today then Yes , Its awesome .
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    IC still gonna be read only soon right?

Is this the AOTY thread before the site shuts down?
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.

Pathetic.

But East Coast ? never want to give credit too West Coast ? With their East Coast bias ..We started this gangsta ? ...

qg51x8dj9hys.gif
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jayz didnt spaz out on a flow once during the whole album...did he flow at all? Sounded like just a bunch of talking on a beat

Jay 3rd verse on Smile>>>>any verse on Damn..... And even if you don't believe that talking on a beat beats singing on a beat I wanna hear a ? singing I'll go cop a R&B album I wanna hear rhymes

If u want to hear rhymes then damn wins easily in this contest haha....4:44 on some psuedo father figured ? ?

Yea you trolling or hating either or time to stop taking you seriously
  • bck145
    Options
    DAMN.

Who is hating? Im calling a ? a ? ...it ia what it is

Maybe you just dickriding too hard

• Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Matike85 wrote: »

Pathetic.

But East Coast ? never want to give credit too West Coast ? With their East Coast bias ..We started this gangsta ? ...

qg51x8dj9hys.gif

I don't care about east west ? . And nwa didn't start "gangsta rap", do your research then get back to me
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

Bruh NOBODY takes that clown seriously. I don't even know why you're bothering. Put him on ignore like everybody else lol
  • bck145
    Options
    DAMN.

Bruh NOBODY takes that clown seriously. I don't even know why you're bothering. Put him on ignore like everybody else lol

Says the dude in here crying again because someone doesnt buy into his east coast biased ?

Whatever u selling, we aint buying...you a ? cry baby and been exposed over and over again...dont comment about me when you get tossed around like a weekend ? on this site

You not grown enough to have a logical convo without getting in your hipster emptions...let it go
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2017
    Options
    See, fools post is buried to me. Don't have to waste time and read the ? he most likely typed .
  • bck145
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.
    See, fools post is buried to me. Don't have to read the ? he most likely typed

Haha cant take the truth...so ignore it...fitting millrnial viewpoint
  • #jpp
    #jpp Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

*DJ Khaled voice*
    Another one...
  • bck145
    Options
    DAMN.

Was going to say liberal but millenial is more fitting since dude so sensitive to everything thats said
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.

Pathetic.

qg51x8dj9hys.gif

I don't care about east west ? . And nwa didn't start "gangsta rap", do your research then get back to me

? Schooly D... Too Short has been rapping since 1980 and on gangsta ? and ? raps since 1983... Westside #YayArea #?

https://youtu.be/88M3XN0GkqQ
    k9sq4o6jxsoz.gif
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This is kinda a tough one. They’re pretty even. Can I just say All Amerikkkan Bada$$?
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited November 2017
    Options

Pathetic.

qg51x8dj9hys.gif

? Schooly D... Too Short has been rapping since 1980 and on gangsta ? and ? raps since 1983... Westside #YayArea #?

https://youtu.be/88M3XN0GkqQ
    k9sq4o6jxsoz.gif

First it was NWA now you're saying too short

Lol You the same dude that said recovery is a classic cause it went platinum

? yo opinion
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Lol too short. ? need a Hip Hop 101 class on this forum worse than I thought