how yall feel about Jahlil Okafor? Karma or raw deal?

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
undertaker-sitting-up4.gif?w=1000

https://sports.yahoo.com/rival-nba-players-stick-jahlil-153333816.html

Rival NBA players stick up for Jahlil Okafor

The Sixers don't want to buy him out, they won't find much of anything in a trade, they're not playing him enough (or at all) to allow his value to grow, and they seem content to just let this all play out despite their lack of interest in retaining him past this season.

Okafor has been crushed by this city, but he deserves credit for handling the last two years as professionally as any professional athlete could. Not until Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2017 did he publicly gripe and complain about his role. Up until then, he was a good soldier, saying the right things, staying quiet and supporting his teammates.

Not everyone would have handled this precarious situation the same way. Nerlens Noel didn't. In Phoenix, Eric Bledsoe hasn't. In Pittsburgh, Martavis Bryant hasn't. Granted, all those situations involve different context, but the point is that most players don't stay as quiet as Okafor, especially when they've yet to reach a big payday.

Players around the NBA have taken notice of what the Sixers are doing with Okafor. On Thursday morning, injured Cavaliers guard Isaiah Thomas stuck up for the beleaguered Sixers center.

A few NBA players, including well-traveled point guard Briante Weber, retweeted Thomas' thoughts.

It's interesting to see players who have nothing to do with the Sixers or with Okafor defending him. Thomas has nothing to gain by tweeting that, and the reason he cares is probably because the NBA, like all sports, is a fraternity and he's watching one of his peers be mishandled.

Okafor is a flawed player, but this is his NBA life, his future. The less he plays, the less chance he has to earn money. The Sixers declined that $6.3 million option for 2018-19, and at this point, it seems unlikely Okafor is able to find nearly that much in unrestricted free agency.

It's hard to figure out what the Sixers are waiting for. Will they do better than a future second-round pick for Okafor? At this point, does it even matter? What good is he doing you on the bench? What good is he doing the organization as an unhappy camper who'll be the subject of questions on a daily basis?

It seems like Bryan Colangelo just doesn't want to make a move that could make the Sixers look foolish down the road. No GM ever wants to be the GM who trades a player for 20 cents on the dollar.

But the damage in this situation is done. Barring an injury to Amir Johnson that allows Okafor to return to the Sixers' rotation to put up some numbers, the market won't be improving for the Sixers. That's just not how leverage works.

Folks outside of Philly are noticing it, too.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    do you think this is all punishment for disrespecting the franchise before he had a chance to play?

do you think he doesnt really want to try with the sixers?

Do you think if given the chance he would thrive within the sixers organization, which would raise his stock price?

Do you think he would fit better elsewhere?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    sometimes you have to suck it up until you can do better. his feelings should have stayed with him and not outwardly displayed imo
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

so you feel since he aint trying why should the sixers organization try?
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so you feel since he aint trying why should the sixers organization try?

I see people feeling bad for the guy and pointing fingers at the organization like their plan the whole time was to draft him 3rd only to sabotage his career, I think the gif and video posted in this thread are prime examples of why his career has been going down the drains not to mention his game is considered a relic from the past compared to the modern day big, he can’t shoot, defend or pass and I’m not even sure he’s a good rebounder either if anyone gets enough minutes their numbers will inflate but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are good at it, I’m willing to take a chance on him in Boston because Brad will use him in good spots and he’s gotten the most out of guys like Jared Sullinger and got a front court of Sully and Amir tied for the 3rd seed in the east, plus playing next to a guy like Horford who is like having a coach on the floor will have him in the right spots on defense, it’s his best chance to thrive and show his potential and rob some horrible franchise this offseason then go back to sucking again
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why does the dude on left look like the kid from get rich or die tryin
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

That's what I said...that's Q Dubs patna
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We'll take him in DC.

Gortat and Mahimi don't play defense either but Okafor can for damn sure score better than both of them.

Since Okafor don't play D either if he willing to at least give 6 hard fouls I wouldn't have a problem. If you not going to play D at least foul somebody instead of just giving up the easy bucket.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »

That's what I said...that's Q Dubs patna

nah..that is qdub....you know. quarter water
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    so yall saying this ? is a ? but wanted to go to a good team to hide his bumness. but since he got on the sixers he actually had to play and showed the world hes a ? ?

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    We'll take him in DC.

Gortat and Mahimi don't play defense either but Okafor can for damn sure score better than both of them.

Since Okafor don't play D either if he willing to at least give 6 hard fouls I wouldn't have a problem. If you not going to play D at least foul somebody instead of just giving up the easy bucket.

I would love this
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    We'll take him in DC.

I would love this

Don't give a ? what you or any other non Wizards fan would love for my team.
    1yqfz5.jpg

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    Hey max him out for all I care, let a guy that can only score stay in foul trouble all the time yea that will work out great
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Hey max him out for all I care, let a guy that can only score stay in foul trouble all the time yea that will work out great

This comment is exactly why you should shut the ? up cause you assuming ? that I want or am thinking regarding Okafor on the Wizards that I'm not.

You talking too much and the ? you saying not even making sense.

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    We'll take him in DC.

That’s what YOU said clown
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    We'll take him in DC.

That’s what YOU said clown

giphy.gif
  • its....JOHN B
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh you didn’t read the “one” line I just typed? Yea great rebuttal and that gif ain’t saving you from the ? ? you said
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Oh you didn’t read the “one” line I just typed? Yea great rebuttal and that gif ain’t saving you from the ? ? you said

8f7.gif
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint no raw deal, homeboy getting millions to sit down in the front row of NBA games doing no work
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    aint no raw deal, homeboy getting millions to sit down in the front row of NBA games doing no work

Homie gets paid to work out and play basketball with nba players
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

but the article is saying he getting the bad end of it
  • D. Morgan
    edited November 2017
    Options

That ? is considered a ? .

If he is a competitive person he not looking at it like I'm getting paid millions to do nothing. A competitive person is trying to play and mix it up on the court and not just in practice.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If he is a competitive person he not looking at it like I'm getting paid millions to do nothing. A competitive person is trying to play and mix it up on the court and not just in practice.

And the fact that it affects his earning potential. I'm sure he would like to have a long career and make a lot of money.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »

And the fact that it affects his earning potential. I'm sure he would like to have a long career and make a lot of money.

Exactly riding the bench he might get another contract but it ain't going to be worth a lot of money to a person in the league.

An old person who been in the league 10+ years and in their prime was getting a lot of minutes might not give a ? about the amount of time they playing or not playing at all each night.

But a ? in his very early 20's is trying to get all the minutes he can possibly get.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    He'll aways have a spot on the Knicks