LaVar Ball On If President Donald Trump Helped Get LiAngelo Ball Out Of China: ‘Who?’

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.lakersnation.com/lavar-ball-president-donald-trump-liangelo-ball-china-lonzo-ball/2017/11/18/

LaVar Ball, the father of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball, has never been one to avoid courting controversy.

The famously outspoken father has already criticized Luke Walton’s usage of his son and gotten into wars of words with other NBA players, but on Friday night he went after a decidedly larger target: President Donald Trump, via Arash Markazi of ESPN:
LaVar Ball downplayed his son’s shoplifting incident in China as well as U.S. president Donald Trump’s involvement in getting his son and two UCLA teammates back to the United States earlier this week.

“Who?” Ball told ESPN when asked about Trump’s involvement in the matter. “What was he over there for? Don’t tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out.”

UCLA guard LiAngelo Ball, Lonzo’s younger brother, was detained along with two UCLA teammates in China for allegedly shoplifting, a situation which Trump reportedly helped rectify, thus enabling the Bruins players to return home.

After the incident, Trump wondered on Twitter when he’d be thanked for his assistance:

LiAngelo and his fellow Bruins did thank Trump for his assistance at the press conference announcing that they had returned home and would be indefinitely suspended by UCLA, but it’s perhaps unsurprising that LaVar wants to distance his family from the current administration due to the current political climate.

Alternatively, it might not be a coincidence that LaVar dropped these comments right as the internet was tearing his son apart for not immediately rushing into a scrum to fight alongside his teammates while he’s simultaneously playing the worst stretch of basketball of his life.

LaVar is not an idiot, and he seems to understand more keenly than most what moves the news cycle along, and there is very little he could’ve done to make people forget about Lonzo’s struggles more quickly than start a feud with the most Twitter-argument happy president in U.S. history.

LaVar also just knows the simple value for he and his family’s eponymous Big Baller Brand of being in the news cycle, and this is certainly one way to get a lot more than the traditional outlets talking about him. All press is good press, as they say (unless it’s press about your sons shoplifting and/or playing badly).

Whatever the reason LaVar chose to go at Trump now, only one thing is certain: Everyone needs to grab their popcorn for the president’s response.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    LaVar Ball's master NBA plan takes hit with LiAngelo Ball suspension

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/11/16/lavar-? -master-nba-plan-takes-hit-liangelo-ball-suspension/869594001/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomcollegemensbasketball-topstories

LaVar Ball, outspoken father of Lakers rookie point guard Lonzo Ball, has made his fair share of outlandish public remarks since he burst into the national spotlight a year ago. Among them are specific comments in which Ball has said his three sons were "born to go pro" and "all three of my boys are going to be one-and-done."

Part of Ball's prophecy has come true with Lonzo joining his hometown Lakers as the No. 2 pick — with no lack of hype, of course. During Lonzo's NBA draft media coverage in June, LaVar was quoted as saying: "I gotta do this three times in a row" and "I'll be here next year" in reference to his middle son, LiAngelo, being an NBA lottery pick in the 2018 draft.

But NBA experts are quick to notice the difference between Lonzo and his two younger brothers. LiAngelo was a three-star recruit before he signed with UCLA, and the youngest brother, LaMelo, is a four-star recruit but LaVar pulled him out of high school to be home-schooled because he didn't agree with the coaching.

While LiAngelo, 18, was always less hyped than Lonzo, he did put up significant numbers at Chino Hills High, averaging more than 30 points and erupting for 72 points in a game during his senior season. But LiAngelo wasn't a McDonald's All-American in the spring, which led LaVar to claim his son's omission caused the All-American game to "lose credibility."

"I didn't see (NBA) potential in high school with LiAngelo. It's not the same feeling as watching Lonzo — when you absolutely could tell," ESPN NBA draft and college basketball analyst Jay Bilas told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "That's such a down-the-road discussion because he hasn't even played a college game yet."

And now it's become uncertain when LiAngelo's first college game will take place, following an infamous shoplifting incident in China. LiAngelo is suspended indefinitely from the same program that Lonzo carried to the Sweet 16 before becoming the first Ball brother to turn pro.

Bruins coach Steve Alford has said LiAngelo and his two teammates involved in the incident — Jalen Hill and Cody Riley — will have to "earn their way back" on the team while the school is reviewing the embarrassing incident that led President Donald Trump to intervene.

"While LaVar Ball's son is the focus of this, the other two players have parents involved too. So this isn't just about the Ball family," Bilas said. "This is where the additional pressure hurts. LiAngelo's teammates are bearing the brunt of that. It's now added pressure to the (UCLA) program and his teammates."

When LiAngelo was first arrested on suspicion of shoplifting in China on Nov. 8, LaVar at the time said it wasn't "that big of a deal." But it might be a big deal in terms of LaVar's master plan in landing all of his sons in the NBA — all on the Lakers, and in one-and-done fashion.

With his name already missing on 2018 NBA mock draft boards, the one-and-done route for LiAngelo appears even more unlikely now given the fact that, at the very least, he will miss the first important chunk of the 2017-18 season. That leaves little time for LiAngelo, a 6-5 shooting guard who already had a tall ladder to climb to get to the NBA, to impress scouts and enter the draft discussion.

"I don't think he has that type of talent," said Bilas of the one-and-done route, while noting that the shoplifting incident in China shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

"As embarrassing and debilitating as (the incident) seems, I don't think it necessarily will be a long-term issue," Bilas said. "Because it happened in China, it ratcheted up the temperature to a boiling point, but the fact of the matter is all universities have faced similar issues with football or basketball players.

"You don't want to diminish what happened in China, but you also don't want to make too much of it, either. These kids don't need to have their lives thrown away. They've already taken a pretty good (public) beating. What UCLA needs to do is what is in the best interest of the players first and then the best interest of the team and university, not let the media attention (dictate) the decision."

Depending on the ultimate length of the suspension — considering it's indefinite and Ball will have to earn his way back — there is a chance that LiAngelo could transfer to another program. He would have to sit out an entire season, however, per NCAA transfer rules.

"There would be a number of places that would want him," Bilas said.

LaVar markets Big Baller Brand with three B's for his three sons, but LiAngelo cannot be a brand spokesman or have his own shoes like Lonzo and LaMelo in order to adhere to NCAA rules. With the family company's marketing and branding a key element, there is also the option of LiAngelo opting to play overseas in response to a longer-than-anticipated suspension.

That's a decision several projected lottery picks have made since the NBA required playing one season removed from high school starting in 2006. They chose to play in Europe or China to earn a sponsorship deal and be financially compensated, something that's not an option in the NCAA.

Bilas believes how UCLA handles the indefinite suspension will be crucial for Ball's future as well as the other two players — Hill and Riley.

"The public component is important here because it's in the players' best interest for it to be handled publicly to satisfy people who are (embarrassed and upset) by their actions," Bilas said. "But these players need to be suspended fairly so that they can have the opportunity to move on if they need to."
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do you hate Lavar Ball?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn right, dude probably had to cut a check to get his son home - just like they did to the other dude from the bar fight, who's still over there.

Lavar probably like "? that, I payed those MFs. Trump ain't do ? "
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

do i really hate him?

or do i see a man who can succeed but fukking up him and his sons chances at being more than they are.

or maybe i see a man who is living his dream thru his kids. forcing them to play basketball. lonzo wanted to play football but dad wouldnt let him.

or maybe i see a man who should step back and let his sons shine an he run the business from behind closed doors. but he rather take all the shine from them.

and before capt fukk ? comes in here with his....more than one way to run a business ? ....
    yes it is...but it is alot of basic ? that is the same at the start.

his plan is a grand one.....

his execution is elementary.

so do i hate him? no.
    but watching this train wreck is like someone scratching a board. ? makes me cringe at how easy his road is...

an im not the only one who feels like this.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    one shows no team loyalty.
    one fell to peer pressure.
    one talks ? an burns bridges he doesnt think he may need again.

an yall ok with this?

this who yall rooting for?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? makes every BBB thread lol

Hatin ass ?

But no diss I'm really asking, what's the angle with this thread? Like are we talking about the trump angle or liangelo being wack?
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options

do i really hate him?

or do i see a man who can succeed but fukking up him and his sons chances at being more than they are.

or maybe i see a man who is living his dream thru his kids. forcing them to play basketball. lonzo wanted to play football but dad wouldnt let him.

or maybe i see a man who should step back and let his sons shine an he run the business from behind closed doors. but he rather take all the shine from them.

and before capt fukk ? comes in here with his....more than one way to run a business ? ....

so do i hate him? no.
    but watching this train wreck is like someone scratching a board. ? makes me cringe at how easy his road is...

People probably share the same criticisms but gotta accept that dude is doing something right.

I think you're looking at it as all bad.

Dude is arrogant, abrasive, probably offensive to some - but right now his sons are all being talked about as potential NBA stars.

It's like Trump - how many MFs hate him, and yet he's president smh
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

do i really hate him?

so do i hate him? no.

People probably share the same criticisms but gotta accept that dude is doing something right.

Dude is arrogant, abrasive, probably offensive to some - but right now his sons are all being talked about as potential NBA stars.

trump is president because his base hates everyone.

as far as the other stuff.....talk wont make an NBA star.....it just wont.

the only things i am seeing him do right was want to start his own thing. its not new..but he wanted to. if he wants to push his sons into basketball fine.....once lonzo got drafted....he needed to be ready..he wasnt. all the talk during the build up..he wasnt ready. his ideas is a great one...but he wasnt ready.

all this he wasnt ready for......what do you think these teenage kids are ready for?

i guess i am the only one seeing the pressure put on them an they folding.

an if homie cut the check....they kids still thanked trump.

yall just not seeing this for what it is.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Hatin ass ?

But no diss I'm really asking, what's the angle with this thread? Like are we talking about the trump angle or liangelo being wack?

cuz im proving my point.....

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad look for Lavar, really bad. Your son caught a case on foreign soil, embarrassing your family, the UCLA team, and his country over some glasses. How hard is it to say "Thank you" and move on.

The part where he says he told LiAneglo that people make a big deal out of nothing, speaks volumes. He's the parent and telling his son that pulling this stunt was nothing.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Bad look for Lavar, really bad. Your son caught a case on foreign soil, embarrassing your family, the UCLA team, and his country over some glasses. How hard is it to say "Thank you" and move on.

The part where he says he told LiAneglo that people make a big deal out of nothing, speaks volumes. He's the parent and telling his son that pulling this stunt was nothing.

so hes not thankful nor understanding how big this could have gotten. what if our fukk ass president wasnt there?

but what if they decided to keep him?

i think now is the time to be humble an take a redemption approach to this.

hes not helping the brand
  • 7figz
    Options

do i really hate him?

so do i hate him? no.

the only things i am seeing him do right was want to start his own thing. its not new..but he wanted to. if he wants to push his sons into basketball fine.....once lonzo got drafted....he needed to be ready..he wasnt. all the talk during the build up..he wasnt ready. his ideas is a great one...but he wasnt ready.

all this he wasnt ready for......what do you think these teenage kids are ready for?

You might've did more research into it than me so I dont know about the details of them folding or whatever but as much ? up ? he might be saying, I'm guessing he's doing more than talking.

I'd assume too that if they thanked Trump, the father knew they were going to, or had to, or whatever the politics of that is.

Still dont personally believe Trump did anything for them, or if he did, without receiving something for it. If the shoe was on the other foot, I think Trump would've been talkin the same type of ? Lavar is - just as 2 egomaniacs would do.

Onto his kids tho, do you think that their success has nothing to do with him - in spite of all you disagree with about him ?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hatin ass ?

What's your point again? I can't tell
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And with that...

I thought people were yapping on & on on he was a good example of what a ""black father should be""??
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

do i really hate him?

so do i hate him? no.

You might've did more research into it than me so I dont know about the details of them folding or whatever but as much ? up ? he might be saying, I'm guessing he's doing more than talking.

I'd assume too that if they thanked Trump, the father knew they were going to, or had to, or whatever the politics of that is.

Still dont personally believe Trump did anything for them, or if he did, without receiving something for it. If the shoe was on the other foot, I think Trump would've been talkin the same type of ? Lavar is - just as 2 egomaniacs would do.

Onto his kids tho, do you think that their success has nothing to do with him - in spite of all you disagree with about him ?

what success?

his brand? while he brought attention to it...he pushed more away than he could have brought. when i speak of demographics....these are things that need to be understood in business...your target audience. and even sometimes your audience may be something different than what you may want it to be...so dont alienate anyone by doing or saying dumb ? . sometimes swallowing your pride is not a bad thing. everything dont need to be sad just for the sake of saying it.

an yes, i have done plenty of research....thats all i do is research ? . i need to understand how businesses work, so i ready up on all types of businesses. you never know what you can incorporate into your own. or when an idea may pop up.
    i have also read what other business minded people say about this....an its all the same thing. so what i am saying is not strange.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »

And with that...

I thought people were yapping on & on on he was a good example of what a ""black father should be""??

they are saying because of how his kids are so good at basketball.

but heres my thing.....lonzo is slumping.....the dad himself said the middle kid wont make it....an then he takes his last kid outta school because he dont agree with the coach.

but when he has influence....he wants only his kids to keep shooting.

how is that right or fair to the other kids?

when hes causing all that commotion on the sidelines of those games....is anyone watch the kids reactions? they want him to shut up too.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Hatin ass ?

What's your point again? I can't tell

its ok. it might just be over your head lil one cuz its clear as day.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    BBB Made in China
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Don't @ me to your ? ? invitationals

i don't understand your speak

stop being a ? all your life...its the internet stop talking tough.

@r.d.

fukk you gonna do
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is simple...by disrespecting Trump....Lamar is hoping for that tweet from Trump dissing him to his 45 plus million followers and the world....therefore raising Lamar and B&BS profile