Denzel Washington: Don't Blame The Prison System, 'It Starts At The Home'

Options

Comments

• farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sunlord wrote: »
    He is 100% correct and it's time black people admit it

Both things can be true...obviously everything starts at home, but we don't need to deny systemic racism.

This^^
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Denzel aint say that he wasnt himself
  • farris2k1
    Options
    On a diff note his new movie looks kinda wack, this is his only movie thats came out in forever that i have zero interest in
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I partially agree with what he saying. Regardless of how we raise our kids, we're still getting set up, drugs planted on us, fake ? allegations by white ? that can't accept they were a hit and run. ? just being black gets us locked up so how is the system not atleast partially to blame?
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    On a diff note his new movie looks kinda wack, this is his only movie thats came out in forever that i have zero interest in

It was boring
  • farris2k1
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    farris2k1 wrote: »

It was boring

Yea thats the 1st thing that i thought when i seen the previews
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah Rampart was started because of fatherless ?
    States make deals guaranteeing prisons maintain a certain amount of inmates because ? can't behave at home
    Sentencing is disproportionately harsher for people of color because...
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    Prisons are for profit, publicly traded companies who's priorities are to make as much profit for their shareholders by having prisons and full as possible, but it's not the prison industrial complex's fault?????

did they decide to profit off of what was already happening (blacks committing crimes and getting arrested at high rates)?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »
    States make deals guaranteeing prisons maintain a certain amount of inmates because ? can't behave at home

None of that ? effects you unless you break the law.

That's routinely black folks problem. Once we decided a thing is unfair then whatever happens is happening because of the unfairness instead of because of individual behaviors.

The number of truly innocent people in jail is negligible, most of those ? really broke the law.

Instead of trying to educate people on how to survive without breaking the law, we typically complain about the law, complain about the courts, complain about the cops, complain about ? we have no immediate control over.

And the one thing we do have immediate control over, we surrender that control to continue the victim narrative.

Denzel's absolutely right. If you don't raise your kid to have good behaviors, to follow the laws, and to make good decisions you are almost guaranteeing they will end up in jail.

I'm late. Is this comment sarcasm / serious ?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    parents do u know where your children are rn?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    He said that yall MAKING IT EASY for a system that target yall by DESTROYING FAMILLIES.

What he says has been said by psychologist and behaviorists for decades : children without fathers are most likely to ? up and end up in jail.

I was most scared by my dad than the police. Most of my friends who didnt ... ended up in jail.
    Mothers raise CHILDREN , Fathers raise GROWNUPS.
    The father represent the law, the reality, the discipline in a familly. Motherhood is about giving and caring and. Fatherhood is the children wake up call to responsibility for a child.

Hopefully a public figure like Denzel can raise awareness about that

The bold ? on so many ? here raised by single mothers
  • matt mane
    matt mane Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Options
    Denzel was right
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    They got our boy. Pray that Chadwick holds the torch.....
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life is credits and debits. Denzel has been too trill on too many occasions for me to write him off for one mishap.

He definitely ? up tho.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Surprise surprise another pity party.

? need to grow up.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    optimistic wrote: »

None of that ? effects you unless you break the law.

That's routinely black folks problem. Once we decided a thing is unfair then whatever happens is happening because of the unfairness instead of because of individual behaviors.

The number of truly innocent people in jail is negligible, most of those ? really broke the law.

Instead of trying to educate people on how to survive without breaking the law, we typically complain about the law, complain about the courts, complain about the cops, complain about ? we have no immediate control over.

And the one thing we do have immediate control over, we surrender that control to continue the victim narrative.

Denzel's absolutely right. If you don't raise your kid to have good behaviors, to follow the laws, and to make good decisions you are almost guaranteeing they will end up in jail.

All this maybe true

But the simply fact is people, regardless of the "righteousness" of their upbringing will ? up and just plain make stupid horrible decisions including breaking the law

No one will argue that they shouldn't be held accountable for wrongdoing and sentence for it

But the major problem is that black people are disproportionately sentenced at a higher rate to longer jail/prison time than white people when they break the very same laws.

edit:

I'll add a perfect example would be how they are calling the heroin epidemic that's tearing apart these low income white neighborhoods a "healthcare" problem, but called the ? epidemic, which ? up the black community a criminal problem

In order to unpack this honestly some things need to be done.

First, I do recognize that people fall short. Nobody is perfect, and people typically ? up when they're young.

The punitive nature of the system is indeed unfair, there's a lot of improvement to make.

However (now we get to the bolded), race is ONE variable. How many people took other variables into account?

Some states have harsher laws than others (three strikes, mandatory minimums etc)

The ability to negotiate sentence is another issue. Having a public defender versus a hired attorney.

Criminal history is a third. Repeat offenders are often given more time than others.

A lot of the social science on this doesn't control for all these variables. They look at national averages.

For the sake of argument, let's assume all of this is true. For starters, it's unconstitutional, a violation of the 14th amendment. This means one could sue the state.

The lack of lawsuits on the subject, despite all the discussion on it, should tell you something is up. The ACLU has been at this argument for awhile, various state legislatures and courts have been petitioned with the argument but I haven't seen any success. Maybe in the future.

To your edit:
    That's verbal jiujitsu. It's also been 30 years in between the epidemics. The system has learned via overcrowding and the amount of money spent on drug rehabs, holding inmates in jail etc that unnecessary punitive attitudes do more harm than good.

You see a lot of individuals get early release from jail or get diverted from the system completely now. There's more programs, and more progressive attitudes than there used to be

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    everything starts at the home tho