According to Dr. Umar, the black church as a collective takes in $14 Million dollars every Sunday...

123457»

Comments

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    blackrain wrote: »
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    sunlord wrote: »
    @skpjr78 aren't you a Muslim?????

No I'm not but I am studying Islam. I grew up in the Christian church and was told too many times to stop asking questions and never question ? . It feels good to able to study something and be surrounded by people who want you to ask questions and won't let you leave until they answer it.

Meanwhile the typical church going Christians are still doing overt, contradictory ? right in your face and expecting you to pretend like you don't see it and forbidding you to ask questions about it. You can't ? on my head and tell me it's raining. I'll save that ? for the negros who still pray to the same ? as David Duke and the KKK. I'll pass.

I grew up in a Christian family and went to Catholic schools all the way up to 10th grade. Ive definitely experienced the don't ask ? christians but I've also met and spoken with plenty who encourage asking questions and debating scriptures and applying them to your view of the world. Every religion and denomination has people who are very strict and don't deviate from what they interpret as the literal meanings and then some who are open to interpretation and discussion. You say you're studying Islam now...I'm sure you're not naive enough to think there aren't people within Islam who also discourage questions and aren't extremely traditional in their beliefs. Those people exist everywhere

Everytime I've gone to the mosque or attended any kind of session of any sort I've been told to bring a notebook a pen and be prepared to ask questions. I've actually been to meetings where the brothers were upset that not enough questions were being asked. I have never walked out of the mosque with unanswered question and I make it my business to ask as many questions as I can. No one brother claimed to know everything but they would not allow to walk out of the door until they found someone somewhere who could provide me with a satisfactory answer. I can wholeheartedly attest to their dedication to answering any and all questions that anybody has. That is the exact opposite of what I dealt with in the church. Anytime I asked my family, a reason, an elder or the pastor a question they didn't like or couldn t answer they would tell me some ? like ? works in mysterious ways, don't question ? or they would just get ? off and tell me to stop asking so many damn questions. I peeped that ? at a very young age and that's when I began to realise that the church was full of ? .

And that is great that you've had that experience but your personal testimony isn't a complete picture of everyone who claims to abide by Islam. One of my closest friends is born and raised in Pakistan. Known him for over a decade now and have had plenty of conversations about religion and part of the reason he has distanced himself from Islam is because of how traditional and restrictive it can be and the things he disagrees with not being "up for discussion" among many he has come across in his life. Same as I can find some Christians who all they know is a church where open discussion is welcomed and encouraged. Your experience doesnt speak for all and its intellectually dishonest to the discussion to paint it as such. Same as even though i don't consider myself a Christian I won't use my experiences to paint a negative picture as a whole because I have actually seen some folks use church and what it offers to improve the quality of their life

I never claimed that my experiences spoke for anyone other than me. You said that I didn't. What's intellectually dishonest is for you to make an issue of something I NEVER SAID.

What you just did is straight out of the ? fake Christian playbook. Nobody builds a better straw man than black Christians. I spoke on my own personal experience and you took it upon yourself to turn my individual experience into a blanket statement that I never made. Your preemptive attack against a charge I never made says more about you than it could ever say about me.

My anecdote about unanswered questions in the church must have struck a nerve. That ? obviously resonated with you. From my own personal experiences I've noticed that nothing makes a Christian, especially a black Christian, more angry than an uncomfortable and undeniable FACT. You are no different than the other guy who got mad after I posted a direct quote from Jesus when he threw the money changers out of the temple. Those weren't my words. Those were the words of your self confessed Lord and saviour that came directly out of the book that you claim is the ultimate word of ? . A direct quote of Jesus pulled directly from the bible should be undebatable in the eyes of a Christian but since that quote exposed an uncomfortable truth it must be argued and debated. Smmfh.

In my own personal experience I've never met anyone more hypocritical than a church going black Christian. You and @pachá12 have further reinforced that opinion today. Smh

And this is how I know you're not reading and just responding. I've stated multiple times that I don't identify as a Christian and don't go to church yet your response either purposely ignores it or you just chose to type some random ? . Your quote didn't resonate with me because youre not speaking against something I believe in so there's no nerve to strike.

I specifically said that there are people within every religious denomination that are very traditional in their beliefs and aren't too keen on things being questioned and you responded that you had yet to experience that within Islam. I never said you were saying your experience spoke for all I said that to I said that your experience is yours alone and just because you haven't experienced it yet doesn't mean those people still don't exist within Islam. So while you may have never explicitly stated it you did very much leave it open to interpretation that you were trying to uplift Islam as a forum of open minds while ? on Christinanity for being the opposite when both can be very closed minded depending on who you speak to and what subjects you are speaking about.

Again I never said what you claimed I said. You made an ass of yourself by trying to interpret some ? that was never said. If you don't know what you're talking about it's best to not ? talk.

Again in my personal experience in multiple Christian denominations in multiple states I've personally experienced countless closed minded and in many instances ignorant Christians who refused to take any questions or have an honest exchange of ideas or analysis of Christian dogma. The Christians I've met have never strayed from the passive, ill informed, illogical and nonsensical version of Christianity that was given to there ancestors on the plantation. Thus far I've been encouraged to read, think, analyze and ask questions. I experienced the exact opposite in the christian church. You can interpret that however you chosoe. Just as long as you don't replace my factual experiences with your ? interpretations we'll be just fine.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Again I never said what you claimed I said. You made an ass of yourself by trying to interpret some ? that was never said. If you don't know what you're talking about it's best to not ? talk.

Again in my personal experience in multiple Christian denominations in multiple states I've personally experienced countless closed minded and in many instances ignorant Christians who refused to take any questions or have an honest exchange of ideas or analysis of Christian dogma. The Christians I've met have never strayed from the passive, ill informed, illogical and nonsensical version of Christianity that was given to there ancestors on the plantation. Thus far I've been encouraged to read, think, analyze and ask questions. I experienced the exact opposite in the christian church. You can interpret that however you chosoe. Just as long as you don't replace my factual experiences with your ? interpretations we'll be just fine.

If you truly held yourself to the bold then your entire response to me is negated by the fact that you based on identifying me as something I explicitly stated I was not. The only thing to interpret is that you say you have had negative experiences dealing with Christians. That's cool. Nobody is denying that they can be closed minded ? . Its also not hard to also say that does not mean that is how all Christians are same as not all folks who follow the teachings of Islam or are in the NOI are always open to discussions and questions about things they may believe.