South Carolina Killer Pig Michael Slager uses "Jeff Sessions" defense to help get a lighter sentence

Options
2»

Comments

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with forgiveness. It actually empowers us to move forward. Holding on to bitterness only worsens our health. She cant bring her son back, so holding grudges will only be a negative at her expense. Justice has been served and she now has closure.

So if someone murdered your loved one, you're forgiving that person?

You sound conditioned. SMH

Forgiveness isn't some magical cure all or memory cleanser. Especially in situations like this. I spoke on this before a coupke years ago when ? was all happy in a thread about a PG County cop was killed and ? were cheering giving props to a ? on some freedom fighter ? when it was really just a failed suicide attempt...you forgive so you're not walking around with that heavy of a feeling of anger in you. That ? can weigh on you. You never ever forget but you do at some point have to move on with your life and not stay stuck and for some forgiving is a part of that but that in no way means you forget or all of a sudden wanna be buddy buddy

You still didn't answer my question. Would you forgive the person that brutally murdered your loved ones? Yes or no?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't think the issue is that she forgave the cop or that other black families are forgiving of other murderous cops.

I think the issue many black people are having is these family members are forgiving these murderous cops in PUBLIC.

IMO that does send the wrong message. Anybody is free to forgive whomever they choose for how they were wronged but when the issue is so much more bigger than you personally its just not going to sit well with some people for that to be done out in the open like that.

I think that is the issue Tariq Nasheed and other black people are having. At the same time Tariq and others who feel like that need to word their disagreements with these peoples actions in a better manner. Cause Tariq and many others can and will make themselves look real ? up to people in how they voice their disagreements with a grieving mother.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I don't think the issue is that she forgave the cop or that other black families are forgiving of other murderous cops.

I think the issue many black people are having is these family members are forgiving these murderous cops in PUBLIC.

IMO that does send the wrong message. Anybody is free to forgive whomever they choose for how they were wronged but when the issue is so much more bigger than you personally its just not going to sit well with some people for that to be done out in the open like that.

I think that is the issue Tariq Nasheed and other black people are having. At the same time Tariq and others who feel like that need to word their disagreements with these peoples actions in a better manner. Cause Tariq and many others can and will make themselves look real ? up to people in how they voice their disagreements with a grieving mother.

No, I completely understand that outlook. As black people, I believe racist white people are not entitled to forgiveness and have no right to expect it when they wrong us. What I don't understand is how people are unable to understand that these parents are thrown into public roles as activists with their kids being symbols of social injustice, and people are trying to force them to do anything other than be grieving parents. How about we, as a collective, not forgive white people for their ? , while also giving the victim's mother the autonomy and environment to handle their pain (which is much different than ours) in ways that are freeing for them...EVEN if that means saying in open court that she forgives him.

Its very easy for people like me to cast criticisms about how these families handle ? , from the safety of being completely ignorant of all the nuances of the circumstances. There are tonnes of moving parts that have to be considered, coupled with the emotional turmoil, which people like you and me don't have to deal with before, during or AFTER the process. Forgiveness releases the one who forgives from the persistent urge for vengeance. What is clear is that these people have a greater understanding of recovery than most of us... Getting to the point of forgiving the murderer of your loved ones usually takes years, and causes all kinds of anguish in the process. This is what I would call high emotional intelligence. And they are forced to have it because experienced what is arguably the most traumatic thing anyone can ever experience...on VIDEOTAPE. We dont have to disrespect that man's mother and Tariq is a ? .
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

No, I completely understand that outlook. As black people, I believe racist white people are not entitled to forgiveness and have no right to expect it when they wrong us. What I don't understand is how people are unable to understand that these parents are thrown into public roles as activists with their kids being symbols of social injustice, and people are trying to force them to do anything other than be grieving parents. How about we, as a collective, not forgive white people for their ? , while also giving the victim's mother the autonomy and environment to handle their pain (which is much different than ours) in ways that are freeing for them...EVEN if that means saying in open court that she forgives him.

Its very easy for people like me to cast criticisms about how these families handle ? , from the safety of being completely ignorant of all the nuances of the circumstances. There are tonnes of moving parts that have to be considered, coupled with the emotional turmoil, which people like you and me don't have to deal with before, during or AFTER the process. Forgiveness releases the one who forgives from the persistent urge for vengeance. What is clear is that these people have a greater understanding of recovery than most of us... Getting to the point of forgiving the murderer of your loved ones usually takes years, and causes all kinds of anguish in the process. This is what I would call high emotional intelligence. And they are forced to have it because experienced what is arguably the most traumatic thing anyone can ever experience...on VIDEOTAPE. We dont have to disrespect that man's mother and Tariq is a ? .

I've dealt with this before. Police shot and killed my cousin when was only 14 and I was 16. Saw the judge throw the case basically cause they could. Cop lied about how far away he was to my cousin when he shot him. The gunpowder on my cousin proved the cop lied. No justice for us.

So I personally get all sides of this issue.

Just like I don't like the publicly saying of forgiveness of folks like Slager. I don't like the public tone folks like Tariq take with grieving family members.

Here is the story
    http://www.themilitant.com/1995/5924/5924_9.html
  • radio_santana
    radio_santana Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Options
    Forgiveness granted to anyone doesnt mean you have to be buddy buddy with them

True, but ? that forgiveness ? , especially when a white supremacist doesn't ask for it. Some people just don't get it though.

I feel you, but forgiveness is more about you and your mental/spiritual state than the opposing party. ? them by all means, but YOU have to live and carry on. Strengthen to overcome the pain of your lost, the yearn of wanting to ? everything moving, and staying out of that dark place where schizophrenics live. To me that what forgiveness is about. Dont get it misconstrued though, i will go to war if necessary
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that forgiveness ? . I still remember when the families of Dylan roofs victims were forgiving him before their bodies were even in the dirt, it's like black people think they will get cool points with white people if they forgive racist for their actions. I bet their are black people who owe them ten bucks that they haven't forgiven but they will cut a racist ? some slack. Foh
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant tell another person how to feel. But ? that forgiveness ? ! I aint down w that. This story ? me off so ? much. I have never wished death on another person in my 30 plus years on earth. But i hope he dies in jail smh
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    The fact that he planted his taser and radioed in a false story is always skimmed over or not mentioned.

If i was the prosecution id drill that into the talking points everyday

C/S bolded. Real ? !

Plus he shot dude 8 times in the back. 8 ? times.

He shot dude cuz he didnt wanna chase him. ? was like "oh well. I already shot him. I better make sure he is dead n put 7 mo in him." smh
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Nothing wrong with forgiveness. It actually empowers us to move forward. Holding on to bitterness only worsens our health. She cant bring her son back, so holding grudges will only be a negative at her expense. Justice has been served and she now has closure.

So if someone murdered your loved one, you're forgiving that person?

You sound conditioned. SMH

Forgiveness isn't some magical cure all or memory cleanser. Especially in situations like this. I spoke on this before a coupke years ago when ? was all happy in a thread about a PG County cop was killed and ? were cheering giving props to a ? on some freedom fighter ? when it was really just a failed suicide attempt...you forgive so you're not walking around with that heavy of a feeling of anger in you. That ? can weigh on you. You never ever forget but you do at some point have to move on with your life and not stay stuck and for some forgiving is a part of that but that in no way means you forget or all of a sudden wanna be buddy buddy

You still didn't answer my question. Would you forgive the person that brutally murdered your loved ones? Yes or no?

Have I? No...and I do feel the burden of carrying that anger around but I can deal with it and have accepted it as such. Have others in my family? Yeah they did.
  • blackrain
    Options

And this is my main point of criticism from alot of sideline commentators on these situations. They do not allow room for these families to grieve. They want instant militant activism. Most people ain't built for that in general especially a grieving family dealing with a murder not only publicly but often being replayed on tv. When my cousin got killed by the cops in Aug 2015 a few of us had to cuss some reporters out who were calling my aunts house and trying to contact us via social media for quotes and details while being callous as ? about the grieving process. With the pain I saw my aunt go through I can see why she wanted to forgive the officer who killed my cousin. Having also lost her husband literally 5 months before that to cancer losing my cousin right after damn near drove her off the edge and being angry all the time would have done her no good. The forgiveness 99% of the time is for the grieving party and not for the person on the other end. You never fully move on from that pain but you can begin to live your life without walking around like a ticking time bomb
  • black caesar
    Options

I loved your perspective. You seem to get it. However forgiving someone you murdered your family is some weak ? no matter how you slice it, but like you said, if you choose to be weak KEEP THAT TO YOURSELF Going on TV saying that not only makes the person look pathetic, it also shows to white people that we can continually be abused and won't do anything about it. Just to be clear everyone has their own sense of justice, so I won't go into that topic. Like I said, it's weak and pathetic and we're in an era where we're getting picked off. (Not that this wasn't happening before.) There is no room for weakness.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The forgiveness thing is pointless. Excepting reality is what they should be doing. Can't forgive someone who didn't ask for it.
  • blackrain
    Options

I loved your perspective. You seem to get it. However forgiving someone you murdered your family is some weak ? no matter how you slice it, but like you said, if you choose to be weak KEEP THAT TO YOURSELF Going on TV saying that not only makes the person look pathetic, it also shows to white people that we can continually be abused and won't do anything about it. Just to be clear everyone has their own sense of justice, so I won't go into that topic. Like I said, it's weak and pathetic and we're in an era where we're getting picked off. (Not that this wasn't happening before.) There is no room for weakness.

If you believe everyone has their sense of justice then how do you know what they're doing in private? There's nothing pathetic about a grieving parent mourning the loss of their child. Of course they feel weak at that moment. They just witnessed their child be killed and now have to deal with it on a ? forum and navigate a bunch of vultures trying to make a name using their pain as a boost for it.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone grieves differently. It's that simple. Brooding and being angry doesn't change ? .
    Forgiving doesn't change ? .

Do what's best for you.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also L.OL. @ caring about what Tariq Nasheed says.

That ? is a failed ? , failed author, failed rapper and makes his money making ? documentaries full of misinformation.

FOH.
  • black caesar
    Options

If you believe everyone has their sense of justice then how do you know what they're doing in private? There's nothing pathetic about a grieving parent mourning the loss of their child. Of course they feel weak at that moment. They just witnessed their child be killed and now have to deal with it on a ? forum and navigate a bunch of vultures trying to make a name using their pain as a boost for it.

Grieving is not pathetic. That's understandable. Forgiving someone for murdering your love one is.
  • blackrain
    Options

Grieving is not pathetic. That's understandable. Forgiving someone for murdering your love one is.

And for some part of the grieving process is forgiveness. Like it's been said this situation is a whole lot easier to judge when you and your family haven't been through it. It's easier to talk ? when you don't have to see this ? played out in your own family
  • black caesar
    Options

And for some part of the grieving process is forgiveness. Like it's been said this situation is a whole lot easier to judge when you and your family haven't been through it. It's easier to talk ? when you don't have to see this ? played out in your own family

We'll agree to disagree.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

We'll agree to disagree.

I forgive you.
    But in all seriousness, that statement of forgiveness is used as a weapon/pacifier by no fault of any grieving family they use it til to scold black people who arent prone to forgive or forget.. why can you be more like them.. 'That is how it should deal with your psychological burden...while at the same time assuaging the concerns of white people.. allied or not
  • blackrain
    Options

The bold is how you can differentiate between someone who is simply out for themselves and using a family's pain to further their own profile and personal agenda vs someone who actually truly feels for the family and wants to help them heal and seek justice. Like I said in another thread alot of folks out here just performing for social media and really don't give a ? they just want people to think they do and pretending to be angry over a situation and speaking down on those who actually are feeling the real life affects of it is one of those ways