'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark' Adaptation Lands Director

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
The trilogy of horror books that kicked off with Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is getting the big screen treatment from director André Øvredal. The filmmaker previously director TrollHunter and The Autopsy of Jane Doe, with Guillermo del Toro attached to this adaptation as a producer.

According to Deadline, "The thriller follows a group of young teens who must solve the mystery surrounding sudden and macabre deaths in their small town. Kevin Hageman and Dan Hageman (The LEGO Movie) wrote the most recent draft based on the books."

Del Toro had previously been attached as a director but, possibly due to his busy scheduled, has stepped aside to have Øvredal take the reins.

The trilogy of books were comprised of short horror stories aimed at children, written by Alvin Schwartz. Originally published in 1984, the books have sold more than 7 million copies. In addition to Schwartz's stories causing nightmares, the iconic series also frightened and fascinated young readers with Steven Gammell's macabre and grotesque illustrations.

The Norwegian TrollHunter was a mockumentary film about a man who was tasked with locating and eradicating various trolls that roamed the countryside in a discrete manner so the public was kept in the dark about the fantastical creatures.

In The Autopsy of Jane Doe, two employees of a morgue attempt to determine the cause of death for an anonymous body, leading them down a dangerous and deadly rabbit hole.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is only the latest project featuring horror stories aimed at younger audiences to get the live-action treatment.

In 2015, Goosebumps featured multiple villains from the book series of the same name coming to life to terrorize author R.L. Stine, played by Jack Black in the film. A sequel will hit theaters in 2018.

Last month, a film adaptation of the TV series Are You Afraid of the Dark? was announced with IT writer Gary Dauberman attached. The Nickelodeon series featured teens meeting every week by a campfire to tell each other horrifying tales. That film will land in theaters in 2019.

The Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark adaptation is headed into production next summer.

[H/T Deadline]

http://comicbook.com/horror/2017/12/13/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-director-autopsy-of-jane-doe/

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    I ? LOVED these books when i was a kid. Some of the stories legit scared the hell out of me.

Scary_Stories_to_Tell_in_the_Dark_cover.jpg

51Zu6HueUGL.jpg

41BPjx4MDfL._SX263_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet if I read those again they would still be creepy
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

Lol i bet too. Seriously some of the creepiest stories ive read even to this day. Some of them are stuck in my head.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Autopsy of Jane Doe was really good.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My brother used to read those out loud on long road trips just to ? me off.

Hated them books
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Hated them books

Lol did he scream the words during certain stories? I remember in the books they would have parenthesis saying stuff like (scream the last sentence very loudly) for folks who were reading out loud.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I read that they are banned in a lot of schools. At first, I was like "here we go again with the soft ? " and then I went back and read a couple and wondered how in the hell those books wound up in elementary schools to begin with. I remember reading them ? in second grade. Some of the stories are mild, but some of them are brutal like the story about the butcher that killed his wife, ground her up into sausage, and fed her to the townspeople.

The thing I wonder about the movie is will they use some of the mild stories and try to make it something like the Goosebumps movie where they try to appeal to a younger crowd. Or will they say "? it, the people that read these books are grown" and put out some crazy ? made for adults.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

I read that they are banned in a lot of schools. At first, I was like "here we go again with the soft ? " and then I went back and read a couple and wondered how in the hell those books wound up in elementary schools to begin with. I remember reading them ? in second grade. Some of the stories are mild, but some of them are brutal like the story about the butcher that killed his wife, ground her up into sausage, and fed her to the townspeople.

The thing I wonder about the movie is will they use some of the mild stories and try to make it something like the Goosebumps movie where they try to appeal to a younger crowd. Or will they say "? it, the people that read these books are grown" and put out some crazy ? made for adults.

I found the books for the first time in 3rd grade. Even back then i was kind of surprised they had it in my school library lol. I read that story "The Hitchhiker" about the lady driving alone on a long rolling road, Low on gas, seeing a creepy hitchhiker every few miles. Then when her vehicle starts sputtering and she sees him again hes holding a knife and smiling. Then it goes to the next morning and the cops are describing all the stab wounds on her.

Some of the illustrations were ? up too man lol. I really hope they do an adult version for this movie.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Hated them books

Lol did he scream the words during certain stories? I remember in the books they would have parenthesis saying stuff like (scream the last sentence very loudly) for folks who were reading out loud.

LOL i dont remember if he did or not but i remember a lot of the stories still.

Gave me PTSD
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Shout out to that harold the scarecrow story for freaking me tf out for a good decade. The one about that chick that had to wear a scarf around her neck all the time or else her head would fall off was classic too.

Didn't they tame these books down a couple years ago cuz they were too dark and graphic? I wonder if they go the old school scary way or the new school mild way with the visuals.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Del Toro would have been awesome on this
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Del Toro would have been awesome on this

He's a producer
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Ya'll remember this song from one of the books?

https://youtu.be/oxx3pSlJ6Ho

Seriously, who the ? makes stuff like this for kids? lol
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

Hell yea I remember this ? !!!! Damn I was singing along remembering the words lol
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I didn't recognize the song at first but then certain lines were said like the worms crawling through your body and it just struck some thing in me giving me a mental flashback lol. Could remember being a kid coming in from recess for reading time and being creepeded out lol
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    The worms play pinochle on your snout is my favorite line lol
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fond childhood memories
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was teaching a middle school class and took them to the library... one kid wasn't ? with it, grabbed a couple books off the shelf and sat down just waiting to go back to class and horsin around with his friends... I was like "Is that the one with the hearse song?" He's like "Huh?" So I flipped it to the TOC and was like yup, there it is... When he got back he had half the class gathered around his desk reading it... I remember ? like that...

Anyway, I like how this guy performs it...

https://youtu.be/wSB9lJnuoEU
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might be more excited for this than any comic book movie. I grew up broke so I didn't have access to comics but I stayed checking these ? out alongside RL Stine's fear street joints.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to be hyped for this but then i remember how they dropped the ball with the goosebumps movie.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Yeah If it looks anything like the new goosebumps movie they can go to hell