Should DJ Premiere Make Another Gang Starr Album?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
As far as I'm concerned, DJ Premiere is the owner of the Gang Starr brand. I don't see anything wrong with Premiere making an album with other MCs and calling it a Gang Starr album.

One idea would be to round up all the MCs that appeared on previous Gang Starr albums like Jeru, Lil Dap, Malachi The Nutcracker, Nice & Smooth, Freddie Fox, Big Shug, Instectah Deck, M.O.P, etc.

Another idea would be to pick one MC (KRS, Rakim, Kendrick, J Cole, Ghostface, etc.) to rap all the way throughout the entire album and call it a Gang Starr album.

What do ya'll think? Could DJ Premiere still use the name or does the Gang Starr brand die with Guru?

Comments

• englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rather hear more PRhyme albums.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No. Absolutely the ? not. Guru was/is Gangstarr. Preem did right by letting that legacy rest. I love that idea of Gangstarr affiliates all on one album (they are already a group, forgot the name) and Preem and another thoroughbred emcee not named Royce doing an album together... but to just stick the Gangstarr name to anything ? on the foundation of originality and respectability Guru and Preemo built.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    What if he got together with Damo D-Ski?

The original Gang Starr group was founded in Boston, Massachusetts by Guru (then known as MC Keithy E.) and DJ 1, 2 B-Down (also known as Mike Dee) with various producers, such as Donald D, J.V. Johnson or The 45 King helping out, their earliest recordings were in 1986 where they made various demos. In 1987 and 1988, Gang Starr released three 12" vinyl singles on Wild Pitch Records.

Damo D Ski goes in @ 1:12 and again @ 2:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMyKMp6Nes

Damo D-Ski trades off back and forth with Guru on this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7cFdBquRNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcP_hVnFq4&list=PLlRWEd3iBQ5nertqGyxnwYeFudCRJIlFl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7mQh2-mYA&index=3&list=PLlRWEd3iBQ5nertqGyxnwYeFudCRJIlFl

I'm from Boston so I can remember Gang Starr before DJ Premiere joined the group. As far as I'm concerned Premiere should get the final word on what to do with the name, but let's not act like GURU was the only MC in the history of the group.

By the way, I heard that Damo D Ski went to jail just as Gang Starr was popping off.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why tho? If Premier wanted to make an album with an MC, or a bunch of different MCs what do they gain from using the Gangstarr name?

This is like asking if Q-Tip should use A Tribe Called Quest name to make a collab album with Kanye and Common
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    why tho? If Premier wanted to make an album with an MC, or a bunch of different MCs what do they gain from using the Gangstarr name?

This is like asking if Q-Tip should use A Tribe Called Quest name to make a collab album with Kanye and Common

Not really, If Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed Muhammad made a Tribe Called Quest album with, say Busta Rhymes I wouldn't have a problem with that.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PRHYME IS THE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO GANG STARR.

/THREAD
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Premo is too loyal to do anything like that. Now him doing an album with people that was down with the Gangstarr Foundation. That would be cool.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m sure Guru got plenty of unreleased material that Primo could recycle and then add features, only way to do it
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    Premo is too loyal to do anything like that. Now him doing an album with people that was down with the Gangstarr Foundation. That would be cool.

Man that could be great.
  • 5 Grand
    edited December 2017
    Options
    How about a double disc?

Disc 1 = Gang Starr songs with GURU that feature other people like DWYCK and Above The Clouds

Disc 2 = All new music produced by DJ Premiere with the people that collabed on disc 1 like a song with Nice & Smooth and/or a song with Inspecta Deck

Could that work?
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    How about a double disc?

Disc 1 = Gang Starr songs with GURU that feature other people like DWYCK and Above The Clouds

Disc 2 = All new music produced by DJ Premiere with the people that collared on disc 1 like a song with Nice & Smooth and/or a song with Inspecta Deck

Could that work?

So a half gangstarr greatest hits/half Primo album? It just sounds senseless to me
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    A greatest hits with bonus unreleased material is the only thing that will work
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw. Just give those beats to Nas or J Cole.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, DJ Premiere is the owner of the Gang Starr brand. I don't see anything wrong with Premiere making an album with other MCs and calling it a Gang Starr album.

One idea would be to round up all the MCs that appeared on previous Gang Starr albums like Jeru, Lil Dap, Malachi The Nutcracker, Nice & Smooth, Freddie Fox, Big Shug, Instectah Deck, M.O.P, etc.

Another idea would be to pick one MC (KRS, Rakim, Kendrick, J Cole, Ghostface, etc.) to rap all the way throughout the entire album and call it a Gang Starr album.

What do ya'll think? Could DJ Premiere still use the name or does the Gang Starr brand die with Guru?

gfd8ie8152h2.gif

tenor.gif