The worst part about interviewing for a job is the waiting game afterward..

Options
American Loo VII 3D
American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Strictly Business
You interview...and you think it goes well, right? I mean they smiled, you smiled. You gave good answers....they kept asking questions. Yall shook hands afterward. You leave.

But you never REALLY know how good the interview went. And even if you SMASH the interview...if the next man comes MORE correct...the job is likely his.

anyway...companies should immediatley tell you if theyre not interested..like an email. that way your not checking your email every two minutes for the next couple weeks hoping they send you that offer....

just a thought.

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    call, and send a thank you card
  • Bossmancuddy83
    Bossmancuddy83 Members Posts: 867 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    if you want that position -youve got to be aggressive- do follow up calls until the secr. gets tired of hearing from you or you KNOW FOR A FACT- that the position has been filled
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited August 2010
    Options
    c/s
    i always say the worst part of the job is the whole interview process.
    tryna set ? up with small companies and they seem to keep dodging you but they really got alot of ? to handle.
    or tryna set up ? with big companies who got 101 resumes on file that look jus like yours. now you gotta put your charisma to work,dont be too over eager etc

then when ? do go right you be on the way home wondering if that "we'll keep in touch" is sincere or not. and if it is sincere,how long will it be before you hear somethin cuz you got other ? to do.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited August 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »

had the interview tuesday afternoon.

the interviewer told me to look over somethings and email her if i am still interested. she also said they had just begun the interview process.

to me that says, "you are hireable, unless we find someone better"

emailed her Friday, thanking her for the oppotunity and to say i am very much interested in becoming part of the team.

now i wait.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the waiting game is the worst part...interviewed for my current job on a wednesday, got the call they wanted to hire me that thursday....got the fedex package that friday...started on that monday
  • BabyBugatti
    BabyBugatti Members Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If they don't offer the job when you ask for it at the end of the interview, press them to give you a specific time frame in which they'll respond. Force them to honor a commitment. I usu. send a thank you letter the same day with specific references to what we talked about.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If they don't offer the job when you ask for it at the end of the interview, press them to give you a specific time frame in which they'll respond. Force them to honor a commitment. I usu. send a thank you letter the same day with specific references to what we talked about.

let me get this straight...you ask for the job at the end of an interview? thats an entirely new concept for me.

so you interview and say, "so do i have the job or what?". in my field (journalism, graphic design, PR) there's usually a slew of candidates..and they interview and review all of us.
  • betterthenu84
    betterthenu84 Members Posts: 861
    edited August 2010
    Options
    no no the worst is when you have the job their about to hire you during the interview and then realize your schedule doesn't work with theirs...wanna talk about ULTIMATE blower...smh that happened to me saturday.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited August 2010
    Options
    no no the worst is when you have the job their about to hire you during the interview and then realize your schedule doesn't work with theirs...wanna talk about ULTIMATE blower...smh that happened to me saturday.

that would SUCK. but surely something can be arranged on your end?

i had a situation once where a woman really wanted to hire me. at this time i was working in central texas at a newspaper...the job was in houston (4 hours away) of course i'd have to move. anyway she was like, okay can you start next monday?

me: i live in central texas...i'd have to move PLUS give my job at least 2 weeks notice (i mean i wasnt exactly working at McDonalds)

her: oh im sorry i need someone who can start sooner.

thing is....she knew where i was.
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

What????

Did I ? the chic that interviewed me????

Thank you card, lmao.......

Nah.
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Real ? ...My current job took a good 3 weeks to let a ? know he got it ...I had given up on it truthfully and was looking else where
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You gotta interview and forget it.

The trick is to go on multiple interviews that way you're not waiting on that one call.

It's all about options....
  • betterthenu84
    betterthenu84 Members Posts: 861
    edited August 2010
    Options
    that would SUCK. but surely something can be arranged on your end?

i had a situation once where a woman really wanted to hire me. at this time i was working in central texas at a newspaper...the job was in houston (4 hours away) of course i'd have to move. anyway she was like, okay can you start next monday?

me: i live in central texas...i'd have to move PLUS give my job at least 2 weeks notice (i mean i wasnt exactly working at McDonalds)

her: oh im sorry i need someone who can start sooner.

thing is....she knew where i was.

No not with my school schedule and internship...I can only work thursday, friday, saturday. I'm actually quitting my job today.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited August 2010
    Options
    HustleTree wrote: »
    Real ? ...My current job took a good 3 weeks to let a ? know he got it ...I had given up on it truthfully and was looking else where

yeah..i be applying to jobs...and they'll contact me like a month after i applied. and expect me to REMEMBER what job this was. they are totally unrealistic.

its like, "? i applied to about 100 jobs since yall....no i dont remember what company this is."

smh @ them thinking i apply to one job a month. a ? would NEVER get hired that way.

@Fundz: yeah. interview and forget it seems the best way. im not even gonna tell ppl when i interview anymore. cuz ? be like, "yo you heard from that job yet" all excited for you.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    let me get this straight...you ask for the job at the end of an interview? thats an entirely new concept for me.

so you interview and say, "so do i have the job or what?". in my field (journalism, graphic design, PR) there's usually a slew of candidates..and they interview and review all of us.
    Yes. Although I'd never say it like that. It would be something like "well I enjoyed our discussion and based on ________, ________, and _________ I believe that I can contribute a lot in this position and I'd like to make the commitment right now if you'll allow me to. ( _______ = specific examples of my skills/experience translating to the job in question).

It shows aggressiveness, decisiveness, and confidence.

If you do PR or any type of sales for that matter they should appreciate the qualities you put on display by boldly asking for the job offer.
  • jasonwllms55
    jasonwllms55 Members Posts: 810 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    make sure yall checking those spam folders. i missed out on a job cause the email went to my spam folder.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited August 2010
    Options
    make sure yall checking those spam folders. i missed out on a job cause the email went to my spam folder.

good point
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What????

Did I ? the chic that interviewed me????

Thank you card, lmao.......

Nah.

Ive never understood why i have to send a thnk you card or letter? like whats the point? how does that make me better qualified for the position? Or does it show that im willing to kiss ass to get ahead? I really dont get it.............
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    word. I usually send a thank you email the next day like mostv said. I usually continue job searching and do industry research or anything to keep my mind off it so my day goes by faster. I hate when you nail an interview only to get the thanks, but no thanks email later. I be mad as hell SMH
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    edited August 2010
    Options
    deeroc22 wrote: »
    Ive never understood why i have to send a thnk you card or letter? like whats the point? how does that make me better qualified for the position? Or does it show that im willing to kiss ass to get ahead? I really dont get it.............

I mean I would send a follow up email but this ? said a thank you card. ? I ain't bought stamps since I found out about email.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I mean I would send a follow up email but this ? said a thank you card. ? I ain't bought stamps since I found out about email.

ROFL real talk. The ? I look like handwriting a letter and sending it off in the mail.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    bigb86 wrote: »
    ROFL real talk. The ? I look like handwriting a letter and sending it off in the mail.

Thant why after the interview you hand it to the secretary. I know several people who got very good jobs from doing this. You have to do that extra corny ? to get noticed. There are so many people looking for work and willing to do it for less. Even in corporate America.
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    edited August 2010
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    Thant why after the interview you hand it to the secretary. I know several people who got very good jobs from doing this. You have to do that extra corny ? to get noticed. There are so many people looking for work and willing to do it for less. Even in corporate America.

Good point.............
  • adagreat
    adagreat Members Posts: 679
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yea thats the worst!!!!!