Why do you write poetry? (for all the poets that post in here)

Options
Tupacfan
Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
edited January 2012 in Waiting To Exhale
Their's a reason why we write, express ourselves and I'd like to know when did you started writing? what inspired you to write? post one of your favorite lines or one of your favorite poems?

After a few poets answer, I'll follow suit and reply..

*Mods, sticky this... a poets introduciton is needed here in WTE...

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I got a problem where lines and words accumulate in my head. If I dont write them down or at least piece them together I get headaches. I'm usually bored when it happens so Im more than likely at home by the computer. Im high on myself and think every word I say is golden so I share my greatness with the world.
  • AK.aPHillYisILL
    AK.aPHillYisILL Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I've been writing since I was in high school. Whatever I felt like whether, it was me being happy, mad, sad or telling a story on a piece of paper. It didn't matter what I wrote as long as I was writing it down. Made me feel better and be able to show people who would take the time to look at them and tell me what they thought of it. I didn't matter to me if they liked it, or if they thought it was a lil bit over the top. I didn't care as long as they would take the time to look at it. I'm 25 now, so sometimes i'll bust out with the old note pads and just take a look back at some of the stuff I wrote. Everything that i've wrote takes me back to that time and makes me relive that moment in my mind. From my family, my friends, all the girls i've been with, my kid, drugs, alcohol, death and whatever else is going on in my life and stuff that goes on in the world too. I just love to write ? down, whenever I have something in my head. It's a good way to escape from reality sometimes.
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I been writing for about 8-9 years (on and off)... started off just for fun in a rap group with some friends. Now I write because I have to "empty" out some ? every once in a while. I'm a type of dude who doesn't talk about his problems, so I just write 'em. Also, I have ideas/thoughts so in addition to discussing them, I turn them into songs/poetry so I don't forget what I think. It's good to read stuff from your past to see how you've progressed not only from a writing perspective but just your point of view on matters and overall maturity.
  • Tupacfan
    edited August 2010
    Options
    [ThaChozenWun
    I got a problem where lines and words accumulate in my head. If I dont write them down or at least piece them together I get headaches. I'm usually bored when it happens so Im more than likely at home by the computer. Im high on myself and think every word I say is golden so I share my greatness with the world.]

I feel it, jot down whatever's accumulated in the head and lace it on paper.. thnx for sharing with us btw.

[AK.aPHillYisILL
    I've been writing since I was in high school. Whatever I felt like whether, it was me being happy, mad, sad or telling a story on a piece of paper. It didn't matter what I wrote as long as I was writing it down. Made me feel better and be able to show people who would take the time to look at them and tell me what they thought of it. I didn't matter to me if they liked it, or if they thought it was a lil bit over the top. I didn't care as long as they would take the time to look at it. I'm 25 now, so sometimes i'll bust out with the old note pads and just take a look back at some of the stuff I wrote. Everything that i've wrote takes me back to that time and makes me relive that moment in my mind. From my family, my friends, all the girls i've been with, my kid, drugs, alcohol, death and whatever else is going on in my life and stuff that goes on in the world too. I just love to write ? down, whenever I have something in my head. It's a good way to escape from reality sometimes. ]

I can relate like 100% on this " Made me feel better and be able to show people who would take the time to look at them and tell me what they thought of it. I didn't matter to me if they liked it, or if they thought it was a lil bit over the top. I didn't care as long as they would take the time to look at it." that's very true! I do the same thing, reflect back on what i wrote and be like "Dam, I'm still here" and that's why it's important to save every piece of your literature material, imagine when you hit 50 and you re-read all your jawns.. I be damned if i even reach 50! and writing is like a life story too, you get to share this and pass it down to your children, your grandchildren.. good stuff! and you right, writing takes you places you've never been too and kind of just escape reality sometimes.. just like how you mention...

Thanks for sharing btw..

[Legend24
    I been writing for about 8-9 years (on and off)... started off just for fun in a rap group with some friends. Now I write because I have to "empty" out some ? every once in a while. I'm a type of dude who doesn't talk about his problems, so I just write 'em. Also, I have ideas/thoughts so in addition to discussing them, I turn them into songs/poetry so I don't forget what I think. It's good to read stuff from your past to see how you've progressed not only from a writing perspective but just your point of view on matters and overall maturity. ]

"It's good to read stuff from your past to see how you've progressed not only from a writing perspective but just your point of view on matters and overall maturity" That's very true! and 8-9 year's has been quite awhile, i hope you got all your literature saved and stored away in a safe place, otherwise it wouldn't mean much if it gets lost being that you can't reflect back on it on handwriting.

Thanks for sharing legend!
  • Tupacfan
    edited August 2010
    Options
    So I guess that leaves me to contribute..

I started writing when I could learn to write a hiku. Matter of fact that's what i started writing first was hiku's when I was like 9 yo if i can recall. I first wrote a solid poem after coming home to find my adoptive father dead in the house we all shared, that ? hit hard, I was like about 13 or so, i didn't know how to deal with it because i didn't really have any comfort from within (family). So I turned to the paper and pen, the music was already my comfort but my pen and composition book was what gave me comfort. I released a lot of my deepest feelings into those books. And I still do, everything I've endured I write it down and turn it into poetry. Since then it's been on, 13years total in dedication of birthing poetry after poetry... I did went into a breakdown for like 6 years or so, after losing my first love, i just couldn't touch the pen and paper no more, untill 2008 I touched it again and best believe I came thru with poery after poetry because I had so much to vent about, all that weight I was carrying was finally taken off my shoulders and felt released from that burden. Just last year I started performing and I find that to be very comforting as well, I'm also learning to play the sax and the guitar so I can recite my poetry over these instruments.. I find that intriguing..

Here is one of my favorite pieces, altho I have many but everytime I read this, I'm like Cheaaa...go nita haha.

when does it become unbearable
    when did it become unspoken
    no words to convey, describe, or lend to the bare or the broken.

a head full of thought and a heart full of love
    culminated in majesty, drenched in confusion
    this hearkened intelligence confides in nothing but hopeful illusion.

fevered by an Element, so vain in aura
    feeding false enamor and dead pursuit
    betraying the fancy, drowning in everything that nothing seems to constitute.

all the while, Element costly divides time
    multiplies his empty promises and abundance of lies
    equating tremor that subtracts the honesty of purity in her eyes.

unknown it may be, yet so conniving convinced
    benefit of a doubt stemmed from her remaining emotion
    then predictably heartbroken upon tragic realization, falsifying her sincerest devotion.

purple scar hides deep in the pocket of remembrance divine
    embellishing in the emptiness to which she condones
    worth is simply measured by the time in the unknown she spends alone

tender words roll into eternity from the lips of kin simplicity
    declaring her grandeur and regal personality, sensuality of all humanity
    she is a woman of time and humility, given enough love to save and bond all in unity.

trending cycles can not, will not and do not bring her down
    for every time her lashes accompany a tear, and her face paints ill
    there is a child born with given reason that creates irony and rebuilds her will.

molded of gold flecks, outlined with pearls and embellished with jade
    priceless is the mother of the earth, and the daughter of Heaven
    angels her shadow, miracles her Life - she is the chosen that magnifies the ubiquity of stars times seven.

And I also want to mention, use this thread to drop any of your favorite poetic pieces, so maybe others can be inspired to write as well..

I fail to mention... Don't sleep on bodyslam either! every other week, new beats are posted to write too... feel free to enter the cypher!
    Peace!
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    That's a tight piece you got there tupacfan... did you write that one or is it just an inspirational piece?

Your story was cool too. I also had about a 2-3 year dry spell where I didn't write much and everything I did end up writing, I hated. Broke out of that spell back in '08 when some ? ? me off... now that I think about it, I should go thank her.

Haven't been writing much of substance these past few weeks but I'll get back to posting some stuff once I finish up some pieces.
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I had to sticky this Pacfan, I just had to. This is a very dope thread. And that poem was dope as hell too.

With that said: "I write to rant and repent" - Rob Black

Nuff said. ;)
  • Tupacfan
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Aye legend,

I wrote that jawn! Its my favorite!

Unfortunately my story has lead me to express myself poetically.. I could had turned to ? tho, I mean, that story is just a glimpse of my life.. You know going thru cancer and leukemia had me ? up too.. Smh..

Well, dam we can relate.. You started writing back in 08 too? What a coincidence huh.. Yea, you should thank her too! LOL. Sad but true.. Glad she put you back on it tho..

And mos def drop some stuff when you come around.. I'd like to be inspired... Reading your material always makes me challenge myself I guess.. All ya'll do that to me tho VSOP, real P, and a few other kats.. Chozen' be dropping gem's too.. What happen to black physics tho.. I thought his stuff was fire too..

Neways, just don't sleep on us over here hehehe..

Peace!
  • Tupacfan
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Aww, thanks Killa!

For sticking this thread and giving props on my favorite piece! Good looking out like always..

You know I had to create a thread like this because more and more poets were starting to contribute and I thought its only appropriate to vibes on what put us on and elaborate with other poets as well..

Write to rant and repent.. I see you alright..

Peace!
  • raven31
    raven31 Members Posts: 13
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What's good community.allhiphop.As a kid I wrote but I stop when I was 22 and starting back 2 years ago I all ways have things I am thinking about and want to write about but most of the time I did not not.I do not write about drugs guns killiing it seems like most of the people like that I never did any of that my father was in the military that was my life as kid and teenage.I write about things I been going on in my life and what I learn from it and what I want.But thank and props to tupacfan thanks fam.
  • Tupacfan
    edited August 2010
    Options
    raven31 wrote: »
    What's good community.allhiphop.As a kid I wrote but I stop when I was 22 and starting back 2 years ago I all ways have things I am thinking about and want to write about but most of the time I did not not.I do not write about drugs guns killiing it seems like most of the people like that I never did any of that my father was in the military that was my life as kid and teenage.I write about things I been going on in my life and what I learn from it and what I want.But thank and props to tupacfan thanks fam.

First and foremost welcome to the illcommunity and on the behalf of Waiting to Exhale welcome to this forum..

And thanks for taking the time out to give us the 411 on why you write and so forth.. I find it interesting that you write about good things, and lessone's learn.. Its always good to write about experiences and future goals..I think you could appreciate some of the other poets experience and they express it thru literate art (poetry).. I'm sure you got stories to tell of what military life was like being that you grew up with a military lifestyle.. and in various countries or let alone Germany.. I hope you can take us there with your poems because some of us ain't never left the country feel me? Lol.

Neways, feel free to drop one of your favorite pieces in here if you wish.. And if you'd like to discuss poetry or seek any type of inspiration or motivation or anything poetry related, your more than welcome to use this thread as a resource and you have my support so don't hesitate..

Again thanks for taking the time to introduce your beginnings in your poetic venture..

Peace!
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Why do I write poetry? I write poetry because for me, its an escape from what go through in life. I have a hard time communicating my feelings/emotions extrovertedly, so poetry is my medium to vent.
  • Tupacfan
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Why do I write poetry? I write poetry because for me, its an escape from what go through in life. I have a hard time communicating my feelings/emotions extrovertedly, so poetry is my medium to vent.

I feel it, likewsie that's why I write poetry myself too. another way to vent and get stuff off my back so I could finally exhale..

Share one of your pieces with us..

Btw, welcome to WTE, i ain't see you around so welcome...

Peace!
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I worked security in an elderly building. It was the projects but for old people. and it was the night shift. and i wasnt in school yet and i had no desire to read books because that place was sooooo depressing. this is from the end of 03 to the beginnning of 04. well, up until june of 04. de-press-sion'.

so i just wrote. but not no rap lyrics. even though thats how i kinda honed my style. thru hiphop. so i wrote and i wrote alot. shared stuff with a few females and they dug it.

but after that job, i stopped. and since i got educated, im kinda afraid to "go there" again with the poetry because i know soooo much more than i did 7 years ago, and i understand poetry wayyyyy differently now, like for instance:

lets say im in the desert. and im dehydrated.
    and i feel a drop of rain. then 2 drops. then 3 and four.
    now its raining and i am so happy. i finally can feel the water again.
    and now the rain is making a pond and im in it.
    but the rain stops, and the pond dries up. but guess what?
    im still happy. why? because i was able to feel water again.
    im thankful for little time i had with it because i forgot how it felt.
    now im day dreaming about rivers, lakes, waterfalls and if im lucky enough,
    I may even have my own ocean.

now equate that with a lonely guy who met a female but it didnt work out, but while it lasted, it gave him a boost and gave him hope and something to look forward to.

and thats why i wrote.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thats some real talk Sovo, I wish my writing had that emotion in it
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thats some real talk Sovo, I wish my writing had that emotion in it

The only way to put more emotion into your writing is to feel more pain. and thats not something to look forward to.

if i would ever allow myself to let go and flow my ? , i could make it a job. thats the part im afraid of.

i have a big cousin who does it for a living, and he dont even know how much i idolized him while growing up, or, how much better than him I am.

and he's a facebook friend of mine. But if he ever comes home, and we have a family get together, its gonna be "on!"
  • Tupacfan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    The only way to put more emotion into your writing is to feel more pain. and thats not something to look forward to.

if i would ever allow myself to let go and flow my ? , i could make it a job. thats the part im afraid of.

i have a big cousin who does it for a living, and he dont even know how much i idolized him while growing up, or, how much better than him I am.

and he's a facebook friend of mine. But if he ever comes home, and we have a family get together, its gonna be "on!"

That is so true!! The more pain is endured, the more emotions are gon spit out that pen! And that's why I write, a comfort to my pain and misery..

And you can write for a living, I know a few people who do.

Btw, thanks for sharing with us why you write, your poem you shared was pretty nice and felt as well.. As writers we need to pull our readers emotions or make em feel something.. and as writers, we def could appreciate feedback right? To become better writers..

Thanks for dropping in over all.

Peace!
  • Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    why do i write poetry....this is somethin new that i'm trying. Someone close to me gave me the inspiration to do it, and when my boy [Zone6reppa] sent me one on my email, i figured i'd give it a serious try. I'm really enjoying it.
  • Tupacfan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    why do i write poetry....this is somethin new that i'm trying. Someone close to me gave me the inspiration to do it, and when my boy [Zone6reppa] sent me one on my email, i figured i'd give it a serious try. I'm really enjoying it.

I'm glad your enjoying this new journey so far, and that someone special that's close to you has given you the inspiration to write!

I'll be looking forward to your drops hereon after and I hope to collab with you one day :D
  • harrysmith
    harrysmith Members Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I always write poetry for our congregation, for Nirankari congregation
  • Tupacfan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    harrysmith wrote: »
    I always write poetry for our congregation, for Nirankari congregation

you should share some of your material sometimes.
  • dlisted
    dlisted Members Posts: 9
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Music can be poetry in motion. When a poet or artist expresses the voice of a group of people who have no voice the words and content of the poem (or song) can be so powerful that it can start a movement of change that can be revolutionary!!! That is exactly What the A.W.N.I.A.A Project is all about . This amazing Album is about 1 black man in the White House and 2.3 million behind bars. This song is off "the A.W.N.I.A.A. Project"- turning music into a movement. With tracks from South Africa all the way to LA and everything in between. This album was based off a letter to Obama written by a prisoner. His powerful words sparked a movement, resulting in the award winning independent Short film "Mr. President" which inspired a music album.
    Check out this link to see these poets share a powerful message to President Obama
    Here is the link to there youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34p0YiSp8g&feature=player_embedded
    Her is also a link to the Music Movement
    http://obamaanswerthis.com/do-something/
    Love to hear what you think
    The AWNIAA Project

you can see at www.obamaanswerthis.com

you can see at www.obamaanswerthis.com
  • Tupacfan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dlisted,

Indeed music can be poetry in motion.

Poets have a voice to express on any politician stance and poets have a impact on the things we express about within our voices..

I appreciated the video clip, I peeped it and enjoyed hearing these poets voice their concerns..

Goodluck with your future endeavors!

Peace!
  • Jsince90s
    Jsince90s Members Posts: 180
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's like any form of creativity releases these chemicals in my brain that make me feel, free
  • Tupacfan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Jsince90s wrote: »
    It's like any form of creativity releases these chemicals in my brain that make me feel, free

I can def. relate to that statement!

Thnx for sharing with us btw, I hope to read some of ur poetiec pieces soon!